starting 1st gear wheelies

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-2003, 11:14 AM

atnuts is an unknown quantity at this point
Post starting 1st gear wheelies

hey all, I can ride out 1st gear 'power' pretty good, until limiter shoots it back down, but I want to start clutching up 1st gear so I can get used to the clutch for 12's My question is, how fast should I be going in 1st? Do I 'slip' or 'dump' the clutch? what range of RPM's should I be at? I know I'll be going slower when clutching than when I'm powering it up, true? Any direction here from the pros is appreciated

-jr
Old 08-08-2003, 11:20 AM

Daniel411 is an unknown quantity at this point
Not that I can do a 12 yet, but I wouldn't even consider trying it, until you could clutch it up all day long without a second thought. As for speed, doesn't matter in first. Its all about how much power you give it when you pull the clutch in.

As for what speed, rpms, etc... Don't worry about that, just get a feel for the bike, just start off riding in first.... pull the clutch in a bit till it slips, keep on the throttle-give it a bit more, and dump the clutch. Starting off with small throttle gains, and increasing slowly till you're feeling comfortable... You're eventually just "know" by feel how much gas you need to give it at any given speed. Practice, practice, practice.

and remember "Don't loop, it hurts!"
Old 08-08-2003, 03:14 PM

atnuts is an unknown quantity at this point
thanks for the reply I started out by clutching 1st and almost looped it then started 1st gear power. People say 1st gear power is jumpy, but I feel soooo comfortable/confident that I think I'm more incontrol doing 1st gear power. Guess I need to practise 1st gear clutch more to get as comfortable How do you guys feel? More control clutching or power?

-jr
Old 08-08-2003, 03:34 PM

Jay6 is a decent person
Originally posted by r6_kidd
thanks for the reply I started out by clutching 1st and almost looped it then started 1st gear power. People say 1st gear power is jumpy, but I feel soooo comfortable/confident that I think I'm more incontrol doing 1st gear power. Guess I need to practise 1st gear clutch more to get as comfortable How do you guys feel? More control clutching or power?

-jr
It feels like you almost looped it but I bet you were very far from it. Practice the clutch, it will be so much easier for you
Old 08-09-2003, 03:04 AM

ndublanko is an unknown quantity at this point
cruising along slow enough that you don't have to counter-steer, 1 or 2 fingers on clutch, pull in, rev a little + dump the clutch at ALMOST the same time.

Next time, rev it for 1/50th of a second longer.

Good way to start learning, but you'll sort of figure out your own precise technique.