frustrated with standups

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-2003, 01:03 PM

red96camaro is an unknown quantity at this point
frustrated with standups

I'm a newbie stunter for sure. Only a couple months into it but I've got popping and riding out wheelies pretty much down. Even fooling with the rear break a bit lately to get a feel for it. But I can't hit a standup for ****! I know it's basic for so many of you but I seriously need some pointers. It's really frustrating me. Everytime I try to stand up in the wheelie it drops down and everytime I start standing I can barely get the front end up. Anyone got some suggestions?
Old 08-07-2003, 02:30 PM

only1adrian is an unknown quantity at this point
IM in the same situation that you are in exactly. What i did realize is that it is to hard to stand up halfway through the wheelie. All i did yesterday was practice bouncing it up un second already standing a nd snap the throttle. over twenty tries, i got the wheel up twice. I guess all i can do it practice. but try bouncing because it felt a lot more comfortable that way
Old 08-07-2003, 02:40 PM

JKewLr6 is an unknown quantity at this point
go 50mph, stand up, roll the throttle to about 55 WHILE you are rolling the throttle give the pegs a good hard Bounce the bike will compress when its at the bottem of the compression give it alot of throttle. and dont lean over the front so much. if it still does not come up work on throttle timing when u bounce.
Old 08-07-2003, 02:44 PM

TLRmikeC is an unknown quantity at this point
most people tend to lean forward when they are learning stand ups, it should come right up if you arent leaning forward
Old 08-07-2003, 03:37 PM

Yechidah is an unknown quantity at this point
Just a couple of things I noticed when I first started learning stand ups.

Try and pay attention to how far you are actually opening the throttle. When I first started doing stand ups I wasn't opening it more then 50%. This would still bring the wheel up a bit but I gained a ton of speed because of how long it took. Best way to fix this is stand up like you are going to do a wheelie pull in the clutch and twist your wrist until the throttle wont let you twist any more. DO NOT let out the clutch while your doing this or you will probably end up on your back. Also try and do it quick or you'll be bouncing off the rev limiter in no time. This will get you an idea of how far you can actually open it. Now I normally open it 80% ish right away and start rolling off as it comes up. That gets the wheel up to the balance point very quickly so you don't gain a lot of speed so probably not the best thing to do until you get use to doing them a bit.
(Just a quick note. You can do this on the kick stand with the bike off which might be a little safer then doing it while going, just incase you slip the clutch out at WOT)

Another thing is bouncing. This makes a huge difference. On my 1000 I have a hard time bring it up in third unless I bounce (this is when going under 70mph, 80 and over it just comes straight up). Someone said early to bounce on the pegs. While I do that I also try and put more pressure on the handle bars to make the front dip more then the back. This takes some practice because like someone else mentioned earlier you don't want to lean forward to much or it will be much harder to get the bike.

I've also noticed body positioning has a lot to do with how straight/stable/easy to get the wheel up. I'm still working on this a bit myself so I can't help a lot here but if something isn't working try maybe bending your knees more or straightening them out more.

One last thing. If you hold your arms straight when you are doing these you will scare the **** out of your self to begin with because you are hanging off the bike once it comes up. I've gotten pretty good at stand ups and I still usually don't straighten my arms out because of the difference in the way it feels compared to keeping them bent and my body closer to the bike.

Hope that helps
Old 08-07-2003, 09:17 PM

CldMind is an unknown quantity at this point
Just another thing not 2 do.. I learned this the hard way When you bounce it up and you are riding the wheelie and if you think you are going to flip if you panick and pull the clutch or shut the throttle the bike is going to come down hard! if you just learn to control the throttle and power down slowly it will be a nice and safe landing!
Old 08-07-2003, 10:39 PM

red96camaro is an unknown quantity at this point
Thanks a lot guys. Great info. I acutally have only bounced wheelies a couple times and never tried it to help my stand ups. I will thugh. Now I just need to find time to practice