New 47t rear
20.00%
Voters: 5. You may not vote on this poll

New sprocket, old chain?

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-2010, 05:37 PM

808BMW is a decent person
New sprocket, old chain?

I'm ashamed I let it go unnoticed, but I've turned my 45t sprocket into a 13t . It was a vortex aluminum, I knew they suck and I should have checked it more often, but a quick glance a week ago while I lubed my chain didn't reveal anything, and today I actually heard a tooth break as I was about to stand it up.

I've always told my friends that sprockets should be done as a set with a new chain, but I was wondering, do these wear so fast that the rest of my setup may still be fine?
I have a steel front in good condition, and a RK chain that seems good. Do any of you actually break the chain and measure the links? I'm thinking of just ordering a new rear sprocket and popping it in.
I was also considering trying to squeeze something a tiny bit bigger. I have 108 links, and I have some space to adjust either way:

Cliffnotes: I'm cheap, can I throw in another 45t (or possibly 46/47) without dropping cash on a chain?
Old 07-03-2010, 06:04 PM

Towlieee is a glorious beacon of lightTowlieee is a glorious beacon of lightTowlieee is a glorious beacon of lightTowlieee is a glorious beacon of lightTowlieee is a glorious beacon of lightTowlieee is a glorious beacon of light
Re: New sprocket, old chain?

how many miles were on that thing? Was the tension properly set at all times, and do you clean and lube the chain often?

I have over 15k miles on my 60t vortex and the teeth still look new!
Old 07-03-2010, 06:14 PM

808BMW is a decent person

They were on the bike when I bought it, I've put 8k on them myself. I lubed it once a week, cleaned every 2. I only adjusted the tension once, but I give it a quick check every ride (I just make sure it touches the end of the plastic chain slider, but not loose enough to touch the actual metal swingarm).

I've run Vortex sprockets on my dirtbikes, but I always go with steel because I want them to last. Your 60t is aluminum? I'd run another vortex, but only if I found a steel one :P
Old 07-04-2010, 03:18 PM
Free Riders

TheFBomb13 is a decent person

i'd get a new chain and sprockets IMO if your gonna spend the money on one you might as well spend it on a set.. is it the same thickness (120,125,130?) kinda the same as pads if your gonna spend the money for one side why not the other?
Old 07-04-2010, 04:45 PM

bsvitak is a decent person

I just replaced both my sprockets and left the old chain. I didnt have money for a new chain and the one on there was a did o-ring chain I bought the bike last season so the chain was on there I put a lot of miles on the old chain and it looked fine so i left it. so far so good. just clean the chain real good and inspect it if it looks good I wouldnt worry about it, Chains are way too much. I put steel sprockets on, heard they were good. i went -1 +2 and mine was 108 link chain. i had a lot of slack on my chain before I replcaed the sprockets I put the rear sprocket on first and put the chin back on u wouldnt believe how going up 2 teeth really tightens the chain so be careful about going more teeth up. when I put the front sprocket on the 1 tooh down helped give it the slack it needed....Make sure the wheel is aligned right and the chain slack is correct and keep it lubed so it dont happen again.