2nd gear standups

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-2003, 05:32 PM

bpmull is an unknown quantity at this point
2nd gear standups

ok ive been doin the 1st gear power wheelie sitdown stuff and i can get it to the bp once and a while but cant see over the windscreen.

i wanna move on to 2nd gear standups. i was out practicin today but i couldnt get the hang of it. i was goin about 40mph then i would standup, let off the gas, bounce and as it was rebounding give it gas again. i was thinkin that maybe i wasnt in the powerband and thats the reason the wheel wouldnt come up. im sure that if i started the process goin faster it would have worked? however i would rather learn another way instead of doin 80+mph wheelies. i weigh about 215lbs. if that means anything. and my bike is a '98 zx9. any ideas?

im probably gonna attempt the clutch method sometime this week. i just gotta grow some *****.

thanks
brian
Old 08-03-2003, 06:52 PM
I Enjoy Posting At StuntLife!

KC Tony is an unknown quantity at this point
It should be no problem gettin it up i can stand my ZX9 up in 2nd with or without the clutch. It just takes practice
Old 08-03-2003, 06:53 PM

Cbr600F4 is an unknown quantity at this point
once you get the hang of clutchin it you will love it
Old 08-03-2003, 07:25 PM
Regular StuntLifer

Fuzz is a decent person
Originally posted by Cbr600F4
once you get the hang of clutchin it you will love it

use the clutch at all time, just remember to cover the rear brake!!!!!
Old 08-04-2003, 12:12 AM

joshua900rr is an unknown quantity at this point
sup man, i could bounce my 00 f4 (600) up in 2nd...it's all about the timing. you stand up, bounce and as soon as you bounce, you hit the throttle...should come up like butta...
Old 08-04-2003, 05:46 AM

jixxxer is an unknown quantity at this point
Originally posted by joshua900rr
sup man, i could bounce my 00 f4 (600) up in 2nd...it's all about the timing. you stand up, bounce and as soon as you bounce, you hit the throttle...should come up like butta...
He is right! I can bounce up my 750 and my buddies 01 f4 with no gearing in 2nd. Just bounce and throttle at almost the same time. Practice is the key. Bounce straight down on the pegs and gas it!
Old 08-07-2003, 07:57 AM

Staylo17 is an unknown quantity at this point
I am having similar problems do a stand on my bike. I have been trying to bounce it in second and it comes up a few inches. I guess I'am not opening the throttle enough. The other thing is
I get nervous when I stand up before I try to bring it up so I I've been lifting my butt off the seat and then trying to to pull and standup at the same time. Any advice? I ride a 02 CBR954
Old 08-09-2003, 02:58 PM
I Love To Post!

Sean24 is an unknown quantity at this point
u should be able to get a 954 up EASY just relax, if i can get my TT600 up in 2nd then you can DEFINATLY get up a 954 with ease!!
Old 08-12-2003, 07:52 AM

Staylo17 is an unknown quantity at this point
I've been using the throttle to get it up in second but I hear alot of guys say use the clutch. Which one is better and why, or is it still a matter of personal prefrence?
Old 08-12-2003, 08:17 AM
I Enjoy Posting At StuntLife!

ryanaka99cents is an unknown quantity at this point
I gotta 99 900rr and I've always used the clutch. To me it just feels better. I've used both just feels more comfortable using the clutch, it also helps keep your speed down for slow wheelies.
Old 08-13-2003, 03:32 AM

Heavy Water is an unknown quantity at this point
quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Originally posted by joshua900rr
He is right! I can bounce up my 750 and my buddies 01 f4 with no gearing in 2nd. Just bounce and throttle at almost the same time. Practice is the key. Bounce straight down on the pegs and gas it!

Agreed...I get mine up in 2nd...power..no clutch...it's about timing and practice...like that's not ever said enough

Heres a pic of me doin mine:

Old 08-13-2003, 07:31 AM

Thats a sweet pic! Looks like your up there in the bp!
Old 08-13-2003, 01:39 PM

Power1tobee is an unknown quantity at this point
Some advice for you guys learning this trick, do it with the throttle and only the throttle first. Its eaiser to control. Both you guys should have no problem standing it up (zx900 & 954). Its all in the bounce. Get a good stiff bounce at or above 5000rpm and wack the throttle. If its not standing up, A.) not bouncing hard enough, B.) bike is broken *954 in particular, or C.) you guys are to nervious, and in that case shouldn't be doing them. On a side note, I do it both with the clutch and without, with the clutch requires more timing and its easier to loop your bike if you over do it and don't cover that back brake. Hey, another way to ease into them is when you see those little hills, as you crest them, stand it up, I and stand mine in 4th if I catch them right, no clutch. Hope that helps, be careful.
Old 08-13-2003, 07:51 PM

Heavy Water is an unknown quantity at this point
B.) bike is broken *954 in particular,
Old 08-13-2003, 11:49 PM
Regular StuntLifer

Fuzz is a decent person
ok guys i dont want to sound like the @sshole here. but both of your problems are that u think it going to loop or some **** like that. be a man and use your *****. the only way to learn is to practice. it all about timing!!! everyone on here cant say it enough. but that is all that it is about. i have a gixxer 1000 and i always clutch it to do anything! when i try and do that power wheelie crap i dont feel that i am as consistant but that is me. plus when i use the clutch it feels like it gets to the bp 10x faster. but those are my good luck to both of ya
Old 08-14-2003, 12:04 AM

bpmull is an unknown quantity at this point
haha yea i do need to grow some ***** tho, u arent kiddin fuzz. i had a close call once before in first gear. doin a sitdown, came up way to fast and high. my foot slipped off the peg, my left knee ended up in the seat with the rest of my leg ending up on the right side of the bike. comin down i almost ended up going right over the bars. funny part is everyone thought i did it on purpose.

im really not afraid of gettin hurt if i do loop, i just dont wanna wreck my bike. i guess i shoulda got a beater instead of something in mint shape to learn this stuff on.

brian
Old 08-16-2003, 12:52 PM

parker346 is an unknown quantity at this point
if you can learn how to clutch them up then i think you would be better off because clutching is more consistant once you get the feel of it... it will basically come up the same every time. plus if you clutch them up you can generally keep the rpm's lower once you start bringinig them up at slower speeds. i also heard that clutching is less stress on your trans. but i dont know about that.
Old 08-17-2003, 07:29 PM
Regular StuntLifer

RUQCK is an unknown quantity at this point
Its all about pratice pretty much like the others have said..and growing some ***** im 6'4 and i was kinda scared to actually stand up on my bike..thinking i was to big...kept doing sit down wheelies and got those down pat...grew my ***** and stood up on it and bouned it up..almost flung myself over the bars a few times lol...but now..its just natural..like others have said...get in 2nd gear...at about 4500-5000 rpms..(usually 45-50mph or so) stand up..and bounce down on the bike..dont try to pull up on the bars..just bounce..and wack the throttle at the same time..also it depends on where your body is..i see alot of new guys like pretty much humping their gas tank lol..keep your body pretty straight..to where your comfortable..and wait for the bike to come up..then its all about throttle control and that rear brake. Good luck.
Old 08-18-2003, 02:37 AM

Do most of you cover the rear brake while doing stand ups? I know i dont but should, it just feels more comfortable with my feet back instead of more forwards.
Old 08-25-2003, 09:24 PM

PhiSig1071 is an unknown quantity at this point
How are you bouncing? If you try to bounce the bars it wont work, your weight has to be too far forward to compress the forks. You need to bounce the pegs, the forks aren't designed to support as much weight as the rear shock, so they will compress more, and you'll bounce it up. It takes practice, lots of practice. As for clutching vs bounce, clutching is more consistent, but only if you know what you're doing, because if you over-rev and slip the clutch the bike will loop real fast. My $.02 is learn bouncing first, then use the clutch to improve your consistency.

Quick Reply: 2nd gear standups