02 F4i clutch. Finding an OEM one?

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2010, 09:35 PM

rippa is an unknown quantity at this point
02 F4i clutch. Finding an OEM one?

So, I know it's been covered. I know OEM is the way to go. And my bike is slipping at higher rpm's now. Has a bit over 22,000 miles on it. No longer can I clutch up second gear, it just slips, for a while. So, I stopped in at the stealership. They can get most of my clutch plates. Some are on back order until the end of May. Online, I can't find any OEM stuff. So, I'm thinking about trying to get the Honda plates and springs off Bikebandit. But, don't they go through Honda too? Wouldn't that mean they'd be on back order too?

Anyway, I can either try Bikebandit http://www.bikebandit.com/houseofmot.../m2051sch98565
And I only need the plates 6,7,8,9,9, right? Should I get a new pressure plate, too? Then five springs. And that covers it?

Or, should I try the EBC kit on eBay? I heard a whole one good review about it. I'd like to stay OEM, but if I can't... ?

Thanks in advance.
Old 04-20-2010, 02:35 PM

budweezy is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: 02 F4i clutch. Finding an OEM one?

Just use EBC fibres with stock springs and steels. Don't buy any of the other hard parts (pressure plate, basket, etc) unless you need them. Also, make sure your clutch lever play is adjusted properly or you'll burn up clutches.
Old 04-20-2010, 04:14 PM

hondaruss is a decent person

I have personally ran 4 of the ebc Kevlar clutch kits will not one single problem. I have put them in 2 of my f4i's and my 600rr.. also in my r1.. I am not easy on bikes at all.. I have never had one problem with the ebc kit.. only thing if you get the kevlar kit it comes with stiffer springs so your clutch will feel stiffer... but you can reuse the oem springs...But if you have warped or excessively hot spotted steel's then you will prematurely cause clutch failure.. SO if your steels are good then your in good shape.

I also have 3 guys running these clutches with not one problem with them. And i think they are worse on bikes then i am! so just my .02 hope this helps.
Old 04-21-2010, 01:43 AM

Clutch lever play is good, clutch cable is also decent as well.
So, it looks like the EBC kit is looking better and better. My question then, is how often do the steels actually tend to fail? Is it really only the fibres that (usually), fail? I will definitely be inspecting everything when I pull it apart, but I lack the spare time to inspect it right now. So chances are, it's just the fibres that are shot?

I think I'll order the EBC kit, off eBay then.
Old 04-21-2010, 04:26 PM

hondaruss is a decent person

Originally Posted by rippa
Clutch lever play is good, clutch cable is also decent as well.
So, it looks like the EBC kit is looking better and better. My question then, is how often do the steels actually tend to fail? Is it really only the fibres that (usually), fail? I will definitely be inspecting everything when I pull it apart, but I lack the spare time to inspect it right now. So chances are, it's just the fibres that are shot?

I think I'll order the EBC kit, off eBay then.
8/10 times the fibers are wore before the steels go.. you have to get them steels really hot to get them to be junk.. a example of that is noob riders taking the slack out of the lever adjusting it to where there is no slack in the lever and its slightly disengaging the clutch and its spinning the fibers on thje steels creating heat and hot spots... as for the steels alittle bit of wear on the steels is fine you might see a few little discolorations but if you see big spots and on every disk get new steels. but honestly sounds like just throw some fibers in there. Make sure you soak them in oil before installing them. After getting it back together make sure you adjust the cable and i use the nickel rule. I put a nickel in between the lever and the perch and adjust the cable to it has the slack of the thickness of a nickel. That will give you enough room for heat expansinon of the clutch to no cause a slipping issue. Hope it helps.
Old 04-21-2010, 09:52 PM

It does help. I'll try the EBC kit. And hopefully the steels are good, when I pull it apart. I do know that one session, with an already slipping clutch, I beat on it to the point where I could smell the burnt clutch (I was pissed, so I rode harder, not a good reaction, but whatever). So hopefully it's good. Thanks man!