Help diagnosing a 05 636 no start

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2010, 01:22 PM
Squid Extradoinaire

Vetter is a splendid one to beholdVetter is a splendid one to beholdVetter is a splendid one to beholdVetter is a splendid one to beholdVetter is a splendid one to beholdVetter is a splendid one to beholdVetter is a splendid one to beholdVetter is a splendid one to behold
Help diagnosing a 05 636 no start

bike was running strong as hell saturday and sunday... i come home park it. leave for a week.

come back. wont stay fired. When i loaded it up it fired right up ran up the road a ways, then acted like the plugs were fouled or it was running out of gas.

fuel pump - check
popped the line off turn key on, gas shoots strongly into a catch can... fuel pump is priming

spark - check
changed plugs, checked if they were sparking by grounding. got a white flash like spark. im told this if iffy.

Battery - new, and charged.

checked fuses.

dont know how to check if injectors are working.

it turns over and will try to fire, i hear ignition but it just wont fire strongly enough to hold an idle, and now today it wont even catch a spark and fire, just turns over.

is there anyhting else i can check? cdi box? ecm? how do I check these?

So, im not sure. I noticed the ecm box or whatever will click when i turn the key on, as I start it and it tries to fire, i can feel a relay inside clicking rapidly. I havent replaced the gas, I just filled it up, which leads me to believe its not bad gas, but it was raining alot.

ready to ride...help appreciated, im pretty good at figuring these things out but this on is stumping me.... I literally rode it to where it sat, came back from being outta town a week later... and its all screwy.

help apprecieated!
Old 03-19-2010, 01:34 PM
also known as OMR

old man roger User spends way too much time asking for repold man roger User spends way too much time asking for repold man roger User spends way too much time asking for repold man roger User spends way too much time asking for repold man roger User spends way too much time asking for repold man roger User spends way too much time asking for repold man roger User spends way too much time asking for repold man roger User spends way too much time asking for repold man roger User spends way too much time asking for repold man roger User spends way too much time asking for repold man roger User spends way too much time asking for rep
Re: Help diagnosing a 05 636 no start

sounds like water in the gas , take the fuel line off again and pump some gas out you should be able to see if there is water in it because the water will always sink to the bottom , if you cant tell when the gas is in a bucket then try dumping it on to some concrete , the water and gas will separate...

now keep in mind if it is water in the gas there will be water in the injection system even after you change the gas in the tank , some times you can just get the line off and let the tank sit for a minute so the water will settle at the bottom then just keep priming the pump by turning the key off and on and pump all the water out of the pump ..
Old 03-19-2010, 03:19 PM
Squid Extradoinaire

Vetter is a splendid one to beholdVetter is a splendid one to beholdVetter is a splendid one to beholdVetter is a splendid one to beholdVetter is a splendid one to beholdVetter is a splendid one to beholdVetter is a splendid one to beholdVetter is a splendid one to behold

ha, somehow I knew youd reply. thanks rog.

Yes, and after I posted this I started to think to same thing. The bike was left outside for a few days while I was gone when my roomate was cleaing out the garage. I happend to ask him if it rained while I was away, and It did... so Im gonna check that here after I finish cleaning, have some stuff off the bike.

Im just gonna empty the whole thing, whats $4-5 in gas ya know. Fill it up, and hopefully the battery has enough juice the keep it turning over till the injectors clear.

thanks for the help rog, hope it works.
Old 03-19-2010, 03:25 PM
also known as OMR

old man roger User spends way too much time asking for repold man roger User spends way too much time asking for repold man roger User spends way too much time asking for repold man roger User spends way too much time asking for repold man roger User spends way too much time asking for repold man roger User spends way too much time asking for repold man roger User spends way too much time asking for repold man roger User spends way too much time asking for repold man roger User spends way too much time asking for repold man roger User spends way too much time asking for repold man roger User spends way too much time asking for rep

Originally Posted by Vetter
ha, somehow I knew youd reply. thanks rog.

Yes, and after I posted this I started to think to same thing. The bike was left outside for a few days while I was gone when my roomate was cleaing out the garage. I happend to ask him if it rained while I was away, and It did... so Im gonna check that here after I finish cleaning, have some stuff off the bike.

Im just gonna empty the whole thing, whats $4-5 in gas ya know. Fill it up, and hopefully the battery has enough juice the keep it turning over till the injectors clear.

thanks for the help rog, hope it works.
remember the pump holds alot of fuel so still pump it out with the line off to empty the contaminated gas out of the pump after you put new gas in the tank
Old 03-20-2010, 10:02 AM

crazy636stunter is a decent person

get that **** going vetter!
Old 03-28-2010, 04:10 AM
also known as OMR

it was water
Old 03-29-2010, 01:18 PM

crazy636stunter is a decent person

Originally Posted by crazy636stunter
get that **** going vetter!

figured so........... good call roger!
Old 03-29-2010, 02:08 PM
Squid Extradoinaire

weird stuff, never had that happen before...but yes. water in the tank.