04 f4i wont start now can somone hlp

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2010, 06:14 PM

Stuck In S.D is a decent person
04 f4i wont start now can somone hlp

so i tried to start my bike today since its finally above 30 degrees out and it sounded like the battery was dieing when i tried to start it... so i put it on a 1amp 12v charger for awhile and later on the bike finally started and i let it run for 15-20 minuts the oil temp was around 185 and the idle had slowed down. so i figure cool, time to go for a ride but as soon as i gave the bike some throttle (in neutral) the bike just killed and then when i went to start the bike again it was dieing again. did this again and left the charger on for about 5 min while running and then throttled with the charger still on but it killed right away again and sounded like the battery was dieing again.... what's going on?
Old 03-01-2010, 09:13 PM
iridear6 is a homo

aut117 is a decent person
Re: 04 f4i wont start now can somone hlp

the battery is prolly junk
Old 03-02-2010, 01:01 AM

sik954rr is a decent person

possibly loose battery connection? You would be surprised..
Old 03-02-2010, 07:44 AM

alright i'll try a new battery, but they guy at the dealership says its probably fouled plugs? i dunno guess i have some things to do today
Old 03-02-2010, 08:17 PM

so i took the plugs out they looked kindof dark... so i cleaned them off with a soft wire brush, put a gallon of fresh vpower gas in and fired her up again today and it ran nice for 10 minuts or a lil longer and i reved it up just a lil bit it was fine..... kept putting the rest of the bike back together and almost had it er all buttoned up and i gave her a lil more throttle and it DIED again.... but not its not like the battery is dieing at all, because i took it to advanced autoparts and it appears to be a good battery...

whats going on? should i shell out the 70 bucks for new plugs and try that or does somone else have any other idea's on what it could be....
Old 03-02-2010, 08:19 PM

oh and the temp readout was at 225 before it died i dont know what normal is...
Old 03-02-2010, 10:18 PM

Anybody?
Old 03-02-2010, 10:57 PM

wreckin_repsol is a decent person

air/fuel/spark start with the basics, one of the 3 is making it die. check down in your fuel tank make sure the mesh around the fuel pump is not clogged. after it dies does it not start for a while? if so pull a plug wire an check for spark, no spark prolly sensors or pcm errors/ problems/ make sure there is no vaccuum leaks an that the bike is getting proper air. how long has the bike sat? I will help you trouble shoot but need feedback
Old 03-02-2010, 11:10 PM
Yut-ugh.

nickalltogether is a decent person

Bad gas? Does it smell like normal gas?
Old 03-03-2010, 12:06 AM

JoboF4i is a decent person

Originally Posted by Stuck In S.D
oh and the temp readout was at 225 before it died i dont know what normal is...
thats about the temperature that the fan kicks on so its probobly a junk battery because the fan will be pulling more power out of the battery at that point.
Old 03-03-2010, 12:17 AM

nickstanislaus is a decent person

Dont pay 70 bucks for new plugs! Advanced auto parts can get you the plugs for 49 bucks. Could be loose ground connection some where. I would check all connectors and ground bolts. Possibly bad fuel pressure regulator? If that goes out and doesn't send the extra gas back to the tank it will flood the 2nd and 3rd cylinder. That could cause the problem also. Just my 2 cents. Trying to help bro.
Old 03-03-2010, 01:02 AM

ReSpECT is a decent person

Originally Posted by nickstanislaus
Dont pay 70 bucks for new plugs! Advanced auto parts can get you the plugs for 49 bucks. Could be loose ground connection some where. I would check all connectors and ground bolts. Possibly bad fuel pressure regulator? If that goes out and doesn't send the extra gas back to the tank it will flood the 2nd and 3rd cylinder. That could cause the problem also. Just my 2 cents. Trying to help bro.
Guarantee you this man is right..........

Pull ur tank, the FPR is on the bottom left of the throttle body assemly. Looking at u as soon as u pull the tank. Take the hose that runs into #2 and #3 cylinder (should be at a T junction). IF gas comes out of that hose. Then chances are the FPR is going bad as does 90% of the F4i's.......get u one off ebay or buy one ew at the dealer ship and bam that biatch will run better than usual...=-)
Old 03-03-2010, 07:49 AM

Originally Posted by wreckin_repsol
air/fuel/spark start with the basics, one of the 3 is making it die. check down in your fuel tank make sure the mesh around the fuel pump is not clogged. after it dies does it not start for a while? if so pull a plug wire an check for spark, no spark prolly sensors or pcm errors/ problems/ make sure there is no vaccuum leaks an that the bike is getting proper air. how long has the bike sat? I will help you trouble shoot but need feedback

i dont see anything in the gas tank the gas smelt normal to me, but i put the extra gallon in anyways yesterday... and yeah after it dies it does not start again for awhile. this is my first time doing this so when you say pull a plug wire and check for spark, how exactly do i do that? bike is getting propper air i screwed the box back in tight and the filter was pretty clean...
Old 03-03-2010, 07:50 AM

Originally Posted by JoboF4i
thats about the temperature that the fan kicks on so its probobly a junk battery because the fan will be pulling more power out of the battery at that point.
the bike doesnt kill cuz of the fan or battery had it tested and it was fine, its not dieing after it kills now that i had it on the trickle charger
Old 03-03-2010, 07:52 AM

Originally Posted by nickstanislaus

thanks for the tip i'll go to advance this morning and get the plugs.... i dont know where else to check for ground connections other than on the battery and its clean and tight there. i'll reply to the fpr on that other post
Old 03-03-2010, 07:54 AM

Originally Posted by ReSpECT
Guarantee you this man is right..........

Pull ur tank, the FPR is on the bottom left of the throttle body assemly. Looking at u as soon as u pull the tank. Take the hose that runs into #2 and #3 cylinder (should be at a T junction). IF gas comes out of that hose. Then chances are the FPR is going bad as does 90% of the F4i's.......get u one off ebay or buy one ew at the dealer ship and bam that biatch will run better than usual...=-)

good info, i'll check that today when i put the new plugs in, thanx... its kindof hard knowing what to do this is my first time doing maintenence on a bike so any advice here is welcome, rather learn to do my own work vs. going to a shop
Old 03-03-2010, 09:15 AM

so i went to advanced auto parts today and ordered the spark plugs, they where for the 04 cbr600 f4i and it asked what cc and there was options for 599cc and 600 cc, i figured mines a 600 cc right? i heard something about 600's are actually 599cc... which leaves me hoping i bought the right plugs, maybe somone can tell me if i'm right before they have them shipped here, there supposed to be here in the morning...
Old 03-03-2010, 10:26 AM

nickstanislaus is a decent person

What was the part number of your plug? The number should be NGK IMR9A-9H stock number 6966 or DENSO IUH27 stock number 5369. The OE gap should be .035. As Far as grounds... There are a couple spots on the frame where wires ground to with bolts.

I know its off subject but for oil filters here is a good link http://www.calsci.com/motorcycleinfo/FilterXRef.html.
Old 03-04-2010, 06:43 AM

ok so i'll be going to pick up my plugs in a hour or so i'll let you guys know how she fires up today...
Old 03-05-2010, 08:07 AM

okay so i went to put in the new spark plugs yesterday and they where not th right ones.... so i put it back together started it and instead of revin it i put it in firt and took off and now the bike runs fine, musta been the gas? or maybe cleaning the plugs helped that much dunno

Quick Reply: 04 f4i wont start now can somone hlp