F4i problem

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-2009, 11:44 AM

klwgsxr1000 is an unknown quantity at this point
F4i problem

I have a F4i...the problem is when i start it (which is sometimes hard) there is a gas (seems like gas) coming out of the exhaust. I can actually put my hand behind the exhaust and it will be cover with gas (almost seems like its flooded). I checked my exhaust headers to see if i was getting ant fire, they were cold when i touch them (not hot like they are usually). I put new spark plugs in. Whats wrong and can it be fixed?????????????
Old 10-21-2009, 12:52 PM
I Chose to No Longer Post

PazUp is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: F4i problem

YOu die with these 3 words on the side of the road with bike/car/lawnmoweracer:

DO I HAVE:

1. Fuel?
2. Spark?
3. Compression?

Lettuce say, we have a salad dressing full of variables. We know we can smell gas. That is one down.

Do I now eliminate spark too? Well, yes I do! So, you take an old plug, stick it in the spark stick or whatever coil setup you have; ground the plug to the head; start the bike with the kill switch in the run position. Did you get spark? Well cool. One more to go...

And was that not some simple basics like it will most likely be one or the other. Rarely both, but possible..

Now, figure it out.
Old 10-21-2009, 01:03 PM
it is what it is

serious is an unknown quantity at this point

Did you always have this problem? I had a power commander go bad on me and it did what you are describing.
Old 10-21-2009, 02:38 PM

just recently got the bike....never heard it run until now....whenever i try to start it, sometimes it turn the engine and most of the time its like it fighting the starter and the engine trying to crank( like its lock), and then i get the click,click from trying to start it.....is it maybe hydrolock with gas????
Old 10-21-2009, 02:54 PM
it is what it is

Originally Posted by klwgsxr1000
just recently got the bike....never heard it run until now....whenever i try to start it, sometimes it turn the engine and most of the time its like it fighting the starter and the engine trying to crank( like its lock), and then i get the click,click from trying to start it.....is it maybe hydrolock with gas????

Could be any of number of problems...Start with the small stuff. Check the battery. if the bike was sitting for a few months, dump the old gas and put in fresh gas. If a fuel injector is cracked, it will definately give you starting issues and will make your bike run like crap and will flood the motor. If you think it is hydrolocked, take a sparkplug out of the motor and start the engine and if you see oil coming out than you might be hydrolocked.
Old 10-21-2009, 04:15 PM
thats what she said

azninferno is a decent person

if you see gas come out, thats not as bad. if its number 2 or number 2 and 3 cylinders, its a bad FPR, the diaphragm ripped allowing gas to enter the cylinders via the vaccuum line. that also causes it to run rich. couldnt hurt to change your plugs at this time, as they are more than likely fouled. i would use the OEM NGK laser iridiams
Old 10-21-2009, 07:42 PM

Originally Posted by klwgsxr1000
... its like it fighting the starter and the engine trying to crank( like its lock), and then i get the click,click from trying to start it.....is it maybe hydrolock with gas????
Smell the oil dip stick or stick your nose in the oil fill cap, see if the oil runs like water off the dip stick or if you have a window level, just slosh the oil and if it is thick, moves slow, no gas smell in the oil, then no hydro-lock.

If say, you dip a coat hanger, rod, long screwdriver into the oil, pull out the makeshift dip, the oil runs like water, then yes, you have a petcock leak but we talking fuel pump or gravity feed?

If say the plugs are wet foul, then that is one more hydro watch out cranking the engine over without plugs in it. The gas would gush out, hit some coil spark, you forgetting to turn the kill off, the house goes up and ****.

Battery low? Click-click-click?
Old 10-22-2009, 08:23 AM

Found out the problem!!!!!! The fuel pressure regulator was bad. It was allowing fuel to get into the cylinders and my oil was fill with gas to. Took plugs out and started bike to clear fuel out of cylinders(hydrolock).Changed everything out(plugs,oil,oil filter,fpr). Thanks for the input guys!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 10-22-2009, 10:18 AM
thats what she said

the fprs are notoriously bad on these bikes. glad i could help
Old 10-23-2009, 11:30 AM

ok...now that i got the bike running, im hearing a rattling noise whenever i rev the engine.....im thinking maybe cam chain tensioner ??? valves?? rings??? with my other problems i had (hydrolock with gas, gas in oil, bad fuel pressure regulator) what do u guys think. it revs up and crank fine just rattling noise.
Old 10-23-2009, 02:46 PM

Is this an oil assist cam chain tensioner? This is more you remove the crank side cover as if you were going to adjust the valves. Your wrench is going to move in the direction of rotation by moving the crank.

Then, you stop rotating. You then slowly move the crank backwards so there is a bunch chains slack you see before it tightens up on the other side. Then move the crank forward again, watch the slack move to taught.

How sloppy was that cam chain? If it is tight either way, then it is not the cam chain tensioner. The rattle could be a tensioner if say the chain is extra sloppy on the back and forth movement, then for sure it's the tensioner still waiting to pump some oit through.

The oil still should be dumped a second time.

See if a good ride will clear it on the back off of the throttle. This should work the ratchet closer to the rattle and clean that noise up... Unless it's a cam wipe and the gap has increased. Without a sound bite,???? Who knows....
Old 10-23-2009, 03:47 PM
thats what she said

+1

i second the CCT
Old 10-23-2009, 04:57 PM
it is what it is

Just ride the dang thing already + 1 on the CCT. But if you want a temporary fix, I took out the middle bolt on the on the stock CCT and replaced it with a slightly longer bolt. It worked for a year and when I finally had the time and cash I bought the APE CCT.
Old 10-25-2009, 09:54 PM

thanks guys...."Serious" i did the temporary stock CCT fix....it work great....i will buy a new next month....Bike is good to go now,except when i turn up my stock idle cable,it turns up to about 2500 rpm and want go any higher,even if im turning it up. it intially went up when i first did it . i was at 1200 turn it up,it stop on idle 2500,was trying to get 3500.????????????????
Old 10-27-2009, 04:23 PM
thats what she said

f4i second idle cable mod. its a sticky