F4i Timing Chains and Tensioners

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-2009, 03:04 PM
brabuhburbuh

Danger_Dave can only hope to improve
F4i Timing Chains and Tensioners

My last motor that i blew up and now this new motor that runs great both rattle like a paintshaker. I have the valvecover off and can clearly see how the tensioner is hooked up, but how do you know you need a new/manual one? There doesnt seem to be any slack in the chain. And how would you replace the chain? Looks like theres no room to work in there.
Old 08-19-2009, 04:14 PM

r1stunter101 is a decent person
Re: F4i Timing Chains and Tensioners

what did you do? cuz i have the same problem and i dont know what to do
Old 08-19-2009, 04:20 PM

Towlieee is a glorious beacon of lightTowlieee is a glorious beacon of lightTowlieee is a glorious beacon of lightTowlieee is a glorious beacon of lightTowlieee is a glorious beacon of lightTowlieee is a glorious beacon of light

on f4i's it's not the chain getting loose causing the noise, it's the tensioner physically breaking allowing the piece to rattle making the noise.

Everything I've read on cbrworld.net and other honda forums, is it just rattles and sounds annoying but doesn't cause issues.

If your bike sounds like ****, and has over 6k miles, then chances are it's ready to be replaced.

They say the stock tensioner lasts 5-10k miles MAX before it sounds like ***, go with a $55 APE cam chain tensioner, and just possibly have to adjust it every 5-10k miles instead of replace it

Your cam chain shouldn't need replaced unless you have other issues, or your bike is extremely high mileage.. How many miles do you have?

Your cam chain should easily last 40k+ without problems I'd imagine.. Should last the life of the motor unless you run to crazy high miles
Old 08-19-2009, 04:22 PM

Towlieee is a glorious beacon of lightTowlieee is a glorious beacon of lightTowlieee is a glorious beacon of lightTowlieee is a glorious beacon of lightTowlieee is a glorious beacon of lightTowlieee is a glorious beacon of light

when you blew up your last motor what happened? Did it throw a rod or damage valves or both or what?

If it threw a rod or blew the rod bearing, it had nothing to do with the cam chain or tensioner...

If it skipped timing and took valves out or something, then yeah, definitely a cam chain/tensioner issue
Old 08-23-2009, 10:29 PM
brabuhburbuh

Danger_Dave can only hope to improve

last motor blew rod # 3 from too many rev limiter coasters and shot it through the top of the crankcase. destroyed the part of the crank it attaches to and bearings and all as well. ill try and get that ape. your right it doesnt seem like the chain is loose at all. just sounds like **** and annoys the **** outta me.