steering head

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-2009, 01:10 AM

salaminfred is a decent person
steering head

i just had my steering head bearings replaced with all ***** tapered bearings and a few days into riding i noticed when i hit small bumps going slow i feel play in the steering head.

so for now im only working on my stoppies. kinda scared the extra play will cause more damage when i set the front down hard from doing wheelies. still a newb so working on throttle control.

should i be worried about this or just tighten up the retaining washer and hope it goes away. also do i need to remove the forks and tighten, since people say to get the weight off the front or will lifting the bike from the oil pan do the job?
Old 08-08-2009, 01:22 AM
N2O
Never 2 old 2 die!

N2O has much to be proud ofN2O has much to be proud ofN2O has much to be proud ofN2O has much to be proud ofN2O has much to be proud ofN2O has much to be proud ofN2O has much to be proud ofN2O has much to be proud ofN2O has much to be proud of
Re: steering head

Originally Posted by salaminfred
i just had my steering head bearings replaced with all ***** tapered bearings and a few days into riding i noticed when i hit small bumps going slow i feel play in the steering head.

so for now im only working on my stoppies. kinda scared the extra play will cause more damage when i set the front down hard from doing wheelies. still a newb so working on throttle control.

should i be worried about this or just tighten up the retaining washer and hope it goes away. also do i need to remove the forks and tighten, since people say to get the weight off the front or will lifting the bike from the oil pan do the job?
Jus raise the front end somehow, you can actualy leave it on the kickstand and jack it from the other side of the bike.
the kickstand will keep it from falling over while you raise the front end.
with the front jus half inch off the ground then tighten the headset ajustment nut.
jus take the play out and tighten it up.
Old 08-08-2009, 07:58 PM
the mechanic

GixxerJamie is a decent person

Originally Posted by never 2 old
jus raise the front end somehow, you can actualy leave it on the kickstand and jack it from the other side of the bike.
The kickstand will keep it from falling over while you raise the front end.
With the front jus half inch off the ground then tighten the headset ajustment nut.
Jus take the play out and tighten it up.

+2
Old 08-08-2009, 08:02 PM

Towlieee is a glorious beacon of lightTowlieee is a glorious beacon of lightTowlieee is a glorious beacon of lightTowlieee is a glorious beacon of lightTowlieee is a glorious beacon of lightTowlieee is a glorious beacon of light

+1 on jack, I just put a car jack under the right front portion of the header, and jack it so the tire is off the ground

who installed the bearings?

When you install them there's a certain process. I believe your supposed to have the bike jacked up in the air, and you OVERTORQUE the steering stem bolts (they should have said a torque with them, or the bike manual says it, I forget) and you turn the bars lock to lock at least 5 times.. Then you loosen the steering stem bolts, and re-torque it to the proper torque

Also make sure the bearings are greased WELL if you pull it apart again if you had someone else install them