fork seals and strapping bikes down... the truth?

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2009, 05:57 PM

Towlieee is a glorious beacon of lightTowlieee is a glorious beacon of lightTowlieee is a glorious beacon of lightTowlieee is a glorious beacon of lightTowlieee is a glorious beacon of lightTowlieee is a glorious beacon of light
fork seals and strapping bikes down... the truth?

Ok so what is the TRUTH to strapping bikes down and blowing seals? I hear constantly that it blows seals out, then I always hear of stunters that leave their bikes strapped down tight in the back of their trucks daily...

Now I got brand new bushings, seals, and finally got my front end right, I do'nt want to blow it out from strapping down..

So is it ok? Or does it hurt it?

I MUST strap my bike down very tight when I tow it, getting fairly close to bottoming the forks out.
Old 08-01-2009, 07:44 PM
word

oh8cbr600 will become famous soon enough
Re: fork seals and strapping bikes down... the truth?

i just loosen mine after im done towing it....i think if you left em strapped down for like aweek it might be hard on the seals?
Old 08-01-2009, 07:57 PM
N2O
Never 2 old 2 die!

N2O has much to be proud ofN2O has much to be proud ofN2O has much to be proud ofN2O has much to be proud ofN2O has much to be proud ofN2O has much to be proud ofN2O has much to be proud ofN2O has much to be proud ofN2O has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Towlieee
Ok so what is the TRUTH to strapping bikes down and blowing seals? I hear constantly that it blows seals out, then I always hear of stunters that leave their bikes strapped down tight in the back of their trucks daily...

Now I got brand new bushings, seals, and finally got my front end right, I do'nt want to blow it out from strapping down..

So is it ok? Or does it hurt it?

I MUST strap my bike down very tight when I tow it, getting fairly close to bottoming the forks out.
Ive never seen straping them down cause forkseals to blow but it does sack out the springs.
The possition the fork rides in the valving is changed by sacked out springs.
Not realy as much of a problem for stuntbikes, more for roadracers.
You can buy a fork brace that you put between your tire and bottom triple that will keep the load off your springs if its an issue.
Old 08-01-2009, 09:24 PM
I Love To Post!

Compton82 has much to be proud ofCompton82 has much to be proud ofCompton82 has much to be proud ofCompton82 has much to be proud ofCompton82 has much to be proud ofCompton82 has much to be proud ofCompton82 has much to be proud ofCompton82 has much to be proud of

I always heard that strapping them down to near bottomed out was bad, so I started strapping to my cage. It doesnt take near as much tension to hold the bike completely secure that way, and it for sure doesnt stress the forks.

I am interested to see what people have to say about bottoming them out though.
Old 08-01-2009, 09:31 PM

Towlieee is a glorious beacon of lightTowlieee is a glorious beacon of lightTowlieee is a glorious beacon of lightTowlieee is a glorious beacon of lightTowlieee is a glorious beacon of lightTowlieee is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Compton82
I always heard that strapping them down to near bottomed out was bad, so I started strapping to my cage. It doesnt take near as much tension to hold the bike completely secure that way, and it for sure doesnt stress the forks.

I am interested to see what people have to say about bottoming them out though.

ya I would strap elsewhere, and/or go lose on straps, but if you check my other post in the help section about towing a bike, then you'll see how janky my tow setup is LOL

I want my straps tight as HELL, and they MUST go to the forks in some way, must be on something that turns, so the rear end can swing
Old 08-01-2009, 10:05 PM
also known as OMR

old man roger User spends way too much time asking for repold man roger User spends way too much time asking for repold man roger User spends way too much time asking for repold man roger User spends way too much time asking for repold man roger User spends way too much time asking for repold man roger User spends way too much time asking for repold man roger User spends way too much time asking for repold man roger User spends way too much time asking for repold man roger User spends way too much time asking for repold man roger User spends way too much time asking for repold man roger User spends way too much time asking for rep

i may be wrong but i dont see why strapping the bike down would hurt the seals because once the forks are bottomed out there is no longer any pressure in the forks , there is pressure on the way down and on the way up because it is dampening ...

now the springs being bottomed out is a whole other story , leaving them strapped down for a long time will make your springs softer
Old 08-01-2009, 11:03 PM

HighStyles has a spectacular aura aboutHighStyles has a spectacular aura about

put bike on trailer, (or truck) put kickstand down, put left strap on and leave loose, put right strap on till the bike stands up straight, raise kickstand.......

I have seen guys wrench down on there straps untill they couldn't pull any more... my forks barley compress when its strapped down... If the bike is straight up and down with even pressure ( about ) it ain't going anywhere...

I'm sure if you strap the **** out of it, they will blow.. just strap it down enough where its sitting straight up and down with little compression and you'll never worry..
Old 08-02-2009, 12:09 AM

sdfkillz is a glorious beacon of lightsdfkillz is a glorious beacon of lightsdfkillz is a glorious beacon of lightsdfkillz is a glorious beacon of lightsdfkillz is a glorious beacon of light

ive left everyone of my last 10 bikes strapped down in my truck sometimes for weeks at a time, ive never blown fork seals EVER! i also dont bottom out my forks when i strap, just far enough to keep it stable which is only about an inch or so of travel on the forks. strapping the bike DOWN shouldnt hurt the seals, but if you have ur straps pulling significantly forward on the bike it might cause problems.
Old 08-02-2009, 12:52 AM

I would leave my straps loose, but the way I'm towing, I want my bike as tight as possible

I'll be getting a trailer eventually, but it's gonna be at LEAST 2-6 weeks before I can afford/find one

Old 08-02-2009, 01:00 AM
N2O
Never 2 old 2 die!

N2O has much to be proud ofN2O has much to be proud ofN2O has much to be proud ofN2O has much to be proud ofN2O has much to be proud ofN2O has much to be proud ofN2O has much to be proud ofN2O has much to be proud ofN2O has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Towlieee
I would leave my straps loose, but the way I'm towing, I want my bike as tight as possible

I'll be getting a trailer eventually, but it's gonna be at LEAST 2-6 weeks before I can afford/find one

tow setup, i'd roll that! lol!
Towliee ur avitar looks like frank mir...
Old 08-02-2009, 01:14 AM
Stuntride.com

R1wonder is a glorious beacon of lightR1wonder is a glorious beacon of lightR1wonder is a glorious beacon of lightR1wonder is a glorious beacon of lightR1wonder is a glorious beacon of light

lmao .
Old 08-02-2009, 01:51 AM
I JUST WANNA RIDE

BOYD is a decent person

Originally Posted by sdfkillz
ive left everyone of my last 10 bikes strapped down in my truck sometimes for weeks at a time, ive never blown fork seals EVER! i also dont bottom out my forks when i strap, just far enough to keep it stable which is only about an inch or so of travel on the forks. strapping the bike DOWN shouldnt hurt the seals, but if you have ur straps pulling significantly forward on the bike it might cause problems.
Yeah but u r like a girl and u strap like one too!!