sanding clutch plates?

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-2009, 10:57 PM

Towlieee is a glorious beacon of lightTowlieee is a glorious beacon of lightTowlieee is a glorious beacon of lightTowlieee is a glorious beacon of lightTowlieee is a glorious beacon of lightTowlieee is a glorious beacon of light
sanding clutch plates?

Ok friends 16k mile 600rr's clutch is slipping

going to try and sand the disks and see if I can save them, of course if his clutch doesn't come back, he'll just buy a OEM clutch..

What I'm asking is, what grit should I use?

And I heard from a local quad racer, he said he ONLY sands the metals, but doesn't touch the fibers

Should I sand the fibers at all?

On a side note, I tried fixing my fiends 2005 crf250r clutch today, I sanded the **** out of the fibers and steels, and I OVERdid it, and now his clutch doesn't work at all LOL.. I sanded it clear through spec and now it can't grab.. Ahh well, he already planned on purchasing a new clutch
Old 05-31-2009, 11:13 PM

Towlieee is a glorious beacon of lightTowlieee is a glorious beacon of lightTowlieee is a glorious beacon of lightTowlieee is a glorious beacon of lightTowlieee is a glorious beacon of lightTowlieee is a glorious beacon of light
Re: sanding clutch plates?

aye nevermind this thread....

I just took all his clutch plates out to clean and get ready to sand, and his very inside fiber, is COMPLETELY shot! It's straight metal...

His basket looks fine though, slight groves in it, but nothing that looks too bad..

All his other fibers looks fine, but his inside one is fucked.. wonder what caused that??

Ahh oh well, guess hes ordering a OEM clutch kit before he gets back up and running
Old 06-01-2009, 05:34 AM

ToKwik is an unknown quantity at this point

If I had to take a guess, I would bet that inner friction wasn't disengaging completly, or wasn't put in correctly.

Soak the new clutch in oil overnight, let those frictions get really saturated. Make sure you measure the entire stack height before re-installing.
Old 06-01-2009, 05:57 AM
also known as OMR

old man roger User spends way too much time asking for repold man roger User spends way too much time asking for repold man roger User spends way too much time asking for repold man roger User spends way too much time asking for repold man roger User spends way too much time asking for repold man roger User spends way too much time asking for repold man roger User spends way too much time asking for repold man roger User spends way too much time asking for repold man roger User spends way too much time asking for repold man roger User spends way too much time asking for repold man roger User spends way too much time asking for rep

and make sure the cable has some play in it , 16000 miles is premature for a clutch
Old 06-01-2009, 06:22 AM
also known as OMR

old man roger User spends way too much time asking for repold man roger User spends way too much time asking for repold man roger User spends way too much time asking for repold man roger User spends way too much time asking for repold man roger User spends way too much time asking for repold man roger User spends way too much time asking for repold man roger User spends way too much time asking for repold man roger User spends way too much time asking for repold man roger User spends way too much time asking for repold man roger User spends way too much time asking for repold man roger User spends way too much time asking for rep

oh and ya never sand the fibers
Old 06-01-2009, 07:06 AM

Tee-rex is a decent person

Originally Posted by Towlieee
Ok friends 16k mile 600rr's clutch is slipping

going to try and sand the disks and see if I can save them, of course if his clutch doesn't come back, he'll just buy a OEM clutch..

What I'm asking is, what grit should I use?

And I heard from a local quad racer, he said he ONLY sands the metals, but doesn't touch the fibers

Should I sand the fibers at all?

On a side note, I tried fixing my fiends 2005 crf250r clutch today, I sanded the **** out of the fibers and steels, and I OVERdid it, and now his clutch doesn't work at all LOL.. I sanded it clear through spec and now it can't grab.. Ahh well, he already planned on purchasing a new clutch
Dude i don't know what u do 4 a day job but don't give it up, sanding wet multiplate clutches is just gonna make ur problem worse, u are wasting ur time, the reason the clutch slips in the first place is plates that are worn down and the spring pressure on the plates is reduced allowing the clutch to slip, if you really are that broke add some washers to the springs this will help a bit by increasing the pressure on the plates but it won't last long.
Old 06-01-2009, 01:35 PM

Originally Posted by old man roger
and make sure the cable has some play in it , 16000 miles is premature for a clutch
It's just improper clutch usage

he won't listen to me, he attempts rolling burnouts, keeps his bike on rev limiter for over a minute, yet he just sits there riding the clutch

HE has burned his clutch like 3 times already, but this time its FUCKED. Before it would just slip, now his bike will hardly even move on the road
Old 06-01-2009, 01:37 PM

Originally Posted by Tee-rex
Dude i don't know what u do 4 a day job but don't give it up, sanding wet multiplate clutches is just gonna make ur problem worse, u are wasting ur time, the reason the clutch slips in the first place is plates that are worn down and the spring pressure on the plates is reduced allowing the clutch to slip, if you really are that broke add some washers to the springs this will help a bit by increasing the pressure on the plates but it won't last long.
Talk to quad and MX race guys, many of them pull their brand new clutch out after a race and sand it before the next race

That's who I heard the recommendation from

It's not my bike, I'm on my OEM clutch at 34k miles. And yes, I'm a DIY guy. It takes me what, 15 minutes to have the clutch out of the bike, another 20 minutes to sand and reinstall. If I could make $120 and purchase a new clutch in less time I would

If his clutch was simply worn because of age or mileage, I'd tell him to purchase a new one. But at 16k miles it SHOULD have a good amount of life. However something was obviously wrong causing his inner fiber to wear like crazy

Also going through the same bs with my friends crf250r clutch, only about 6 months on it, and its SHOT. But I think hes also gonna be stuck with purchasing a new clutch

Last edited by Towlieee; 06-01-2009 at 01:46 PM.
Old 06-01-2009, 01:57 PM

HighStyles has a spectacular aura aboutHighStyles has a spectacular aura about

what kinda bike i might have one
Old 06-01-2009, 02:02 PM

Originally Posted by HighStyles
what kinda bike i might have one
05 600rr

now my friends wanting to order a $60 ebay clutch

Oh well, just gonna be his problem if his ebay clutch goes out fast and he has to pay me to replace it again
Old 06-01-2009, 02:18 PM

HighStyles has a spectacular aura aboutHighStyles has a spectacular aura about

don't have that one.. he'll only buy a 60$ clutch once off ebay lol
Old 06-01-2009, 03:13 PM

Originally Posted by HighStyles
he'll only buy a 60$ clutch once off ebay lol

Are they that bad?
Old 06-01-2009, 03:38 PM
also known as OMR

oem oem oem oem oem oem oh ee em....lol
Old 06-01-2009, 05:13 PM

ToKwik is an unknown quantity at this point

It's just improper clutch usage

he won't listen to me, he attempts rolling burnouts, keeps his bike on rev limiter for over a minute, yet he just sits there riding the clutch

Replace frictions, steels, springs, pressure plate, basket, hub, and bearings with factory OEM!

That should get the point across. Maybe then he'll start listening to you.
Old 06-02-2009, 02:57 PM

wonk333 is a decent person

make sure the basket isnt all grooved out from the friction plates
they will just catch and get worn down

oh and an old motocross trick for ya
just take all the plates and rub em in the dirt for a lil bit
wash em off and stick em back in
lasts for maybe one moto lol
Old 06-02-2009, 11:59 PM

I just took all his clutch plates out to clean and get ready to sand, and his very inside fiber, is COMPLETELY shot! It's straight metal...

I had to upload these pics, just too funny

Ok so his clutch is to metal, that's one side of the story.

He has also been METAL ON METAL on his front brake rotors for OVER A YEAR!
No bull ****. The day his brakes were metal on metal I said "get brake pads NOW or you will have to buy rotors" after a couple months, well, obviously his rotors are fucked.

AT least he JUST got new rotors, brake pads, and now hes buying a new clutch.

Unfortunately, all this waiting on his clutch and front rotors and brake pads.. Now his REAR is metal on metal, and been there about a month

He bought this bike for $6,500 about 18 months ago, I'd say its worth $2k in its current condition, maybe $2500 with the brakes and clutch fixed

Old 06-03-2009, 04:18 AM
Bacons Hot, Need a Spot

cjoec01 has much to be proud ofcjoec01 has much to be proud ofcjoec01 has much to be proud ofcjoec01 has much to be proud ofcjoec01 has much to be proud ofcjoec01 has much to be proud ofcjoec01 has much to be proud ofcjoec01 has much to be proud ofcjoec01 has much to be proud ofcjoec01 has much to be proud of

That's pretty fucked, ignorance must be expensive, I mean bliss.