~common stuntbike damage/problems?~

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-2009, 01:40 PM

danman746 is a decent person
~common stuntbike damage/problems?~

for those of you who do take care of your stunt bikes, what are the things that you spend more timeme/effort/money on fixing and maintaining on your bikes than non-stunters do? (and i'm not talking about busted fairings and broken levers)

i would imagine fork seals are a big one, maybe clutches. gear teeth? any common motor problems? i've seen stunters bouncing motors off of the rev limiter (burnouts)...that's gotta take a toll, right? what else? are there any common motor problems?

i'm asking becuase i found a cheap bike that was used for stunt (though there is no cage or 12 bar on it and it's not really "crunchy") that i was thinking about buying and converting to track (and a little weary about it), but this is useful info for everyone IMO

stunters have a stigma that you abuse your bikes (but so do racers). so if anyone knows anything special to look/listen/feel for when inspecting/test riding stunt bikes, please chime in.
Old 05-31-2009, 01:44 PM
also known as OMR

old man roger User spends way too much time asking for repold man roger User spends way too much time asking for repold man roger User spends way too much time asking for repold man roger User spends way too much time asking for repold man roger User spends way too much time asking for repold man roger User spends way too much time asking for repold man roger User spends way too much time asking for repold man roger User spends way too much time asking for repold man roger User spends way too much time asking for repold man roger User spends way too much time asking for repold man roger User spends way too much time asking for rep
Re: ~common stuntbike damage/problems?~

i would think you would look at all the same things you would look at on a used race bike
Old 05-31-2009, 01:55 PM

ToKwik is an unknown quantity at this point

I think it really depends on the level of the stunter.

Most of the good guys are fairly gentle on the bikes. No real damage out of the ordinary from any other used bike. Probably just a little harder on the brake system.

Now if someone was using that bike to learn on that's a different story. Check for frame cracks, broken motor mounts, bent subframe, etc. Probably wouldn't be my first choice for a track bike.

If it is really that good of a deal, then you are most likely going to get what you pay for.
Old 05-31-2009, 11:53 PM

danman746 is a decent person

Originally Posted by ToKwik
I think it really depends on the level of the stunter.

Most of the good guys are fairly gentle on the bikes. No real damage out of the ordinary from any other used bike. Probably just a little harder on the brake system.

Now if someone was using that bike to learn on that's a different story. Check for frame cracks, broken motor mounts, bent subframe, etc. Probably wouldn't be my first choice for a track bike.

If it is really that good of a deal, then you are most likely going to get what you pay for.

good points, however i have no idea the level of this dude's abilities. it doesn't look like your typical stunt bike. there is no 12 bar, no crash cage (not even frame sliders), the fairings are not all busted up, the OEM headlights are there

i will have to take a good look at it. the dude says it needs a clutch and a battery and it's good to go. there's no title however (yes i'll run the VIN) which i don't need for track but i'm looking at getting this 01 f4i for less than $1k
Old 06-01-2009, 03:26 PM
Jus Sayin

~TK~ is a decent person

buy it if you can get the **** for less then 1k who cares. if something breaks ebay has plenty of parts to fix what ever happens. you could build an f4i from the ground up on ebay