crankshaft

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-2009, 08:23 PM

DirtyToes is a decent person
crankshaft

how can you tel ifl it's good without taking the whole motor apart?

i'm about a buy a whole motor (no head)...the guy said there was something wrong with the piston....but i can spin the motor using my hand (veeery smooth...i spun it using the stator/magneto..not driver/ratchet)...and the pistons go up and down juuuuust fine.

...?
Old 05-29-2009, 09:52 PM

ToKwik is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: crankshaft

Cant diag a crankshaft just by looking at it. Well, no method that I know of at least.

Need to find out the history of the engine. Where's the head? Why was it removed? What led him to say there is something wrong with a piston? Did it eat a valve or just blow a ring? If it did, how?

Really cannot make an educated guess without more information. History is crucial.
If you are doing a complete rebuild, then all will come out at the machine shop. If you are just planning on slapping on a head, then you need more info.
Old 05-29-2009, 10:35 PM

DirtyToes is a decent person
Re: crankshaft

Originally Posted by ToKwik
Cant diag a crankshaft just by looking at it. Well, no method that I know of at least.

Need to find out the history of the engine. Where's the head? Why was it removed? What led him to say there is something wrong with a piston? Did it eat a valve or just blow a ring? If it did, how?

Really cannot make an educated guess without more information. History is crucial.
If you are doing a complete rebuild, then all will come out at the machine shop. If you are just planning on slapping on a head, then you need more info.
ya just want to slap a head on.

the "story":

the guy i bought it from had a FI cage on his motor, dropped it, and broke the left side of his crankcase along with stator cover...so he bought this motor from another guy so he can take off the crank-case and put it on his motor.

the other guy told him there was something wrong with a piston...that's supposedly all he know.

but if the motor turns/spins...doesn't that mean the crankshaft/pistons are fine?