weld stainless with regular wire?

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-2009, 03:55 PM

Towlieee is a glorious beacon of lightTowlieee is a glorious beacon of lightTowlieee is a glorious beacon of lightTowlieee is a glorious beacon of lightTowlieee is a glorious beacon of lightTowlieee is a glorious beacon of light
weld stainless with regular wire?

I believe the clutch arm on my 150f is stainless (or chrome steel?)

I wanna extend it, but all I have is a mig with mild steel wire..

Will this work fine? One friend said its like welding aluminum to steel Another friend said it will work just wont be as strong but should be fine for a clutch arm
Old 05-18-2009, 04:01 PM

juzslidin has a spectacular aura aboutjuzslidin has a spectacular aura about
Re: weld stainless with regular wire?

Originally Posted by Towlieee
I believe the clutch arm on my 150f is stainless (or chrome steel?)

I wanna extend it, but all I have is a mig with mild steel wire..

Will this work fine? One friend said its like welding aluminum to steel Another friend said it will work just wont be as strong but should be fine for a clutch arm
i know u can weld it , but i dont know how it will be as far as strength . ive welded alot of mild to stainless with exhaust and other than the weld rusting ive never had a prob .....
Old 05-18-2009, 04:09 PM
"Keep Your F4i's IDIOTS"

50slut will become famous soon enough

yes you can use mild steel mig wire to weld s.s. but its not going to be as strong as if it were welded with s.s. mig wire but for this application you should be good! but why not just take it to a fab shop and have em tig weld what you want done, shouldnt cost but $25 or so and you can forget about it forever......
Old 05-18-2009, 04:10 PM
Administrators

WHEELIE User spends way too much time asking for repWHEELIE User spends way too much time asking for repWHEELIE User spends way too much time asking for repWHEELIE User spends way too much time asking for repWHEELIE User spends way too much time asking for repWHEELIE User spends way too much time asking for repWHEELIE User spends way too much time asking for repWHEELIE User spends way too much time asking for repWHEELIE User spends way too much time asking for repWHEELIE User spends way too much time asking for repWHEELIE User spends way too much time asking for rep

Originally Posted by 50slut
yes you can use mild steel mig wire to weld s.s. but its not going to be as strong as if it were welded with s.s. mig wire but for this application you should be good! but why not just take it to a fab shop and have em tig weld what you want done, shouldnt cost but $25 or so and you can forget about it forever......
+1...
Old 05-18-2009, 04:55 PM
yyyuttt uuughh!

lightweight is a decent person

You can do it, even if it has a high chrome content. It would be beneficial to pre and post heat it while doing the job also. The best bet would be to cut you a bevel on both pieces and make it a multiple pass weld, then grind it flush. Instead of a butt weld.

The best option would be to get it tig welded though of course, using a filler that matches the base metal ( or higher alloy piece ) .

<--- AWS CWI . ( welding inspector )
Old 05-18-2009, 05:39 PM

Towlieee is a glorious beacon of lightTowlieee is a glorious beacon of lightTowlieee is a glorious beacon of lightTowlieee is a glorious beacon of lightTowlieee is a glorious beacon of lightTowlieee is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by 50slut
I could give it to my friend have it welded for free at his work

but I'd rather just pop the clutch cover off, weld it, and back to riding within a hour
Old 05-18-2009, 05:42 PM
Administrators

WHEELIE User spends way too much time asking for repWHEELIE User spends way too much time asking for repWHEELIE User spends way too much time asking for repWHEELIE User spends way too much time asking for repWHEELIE User spends way too much time asking for repWHEELIE User spends way too much time asking for repWHEELIE User spends way too much time asking for repWHEELIE User spends way too much time asking for repWHEELIE User spends way too much time asking for repWHEELIE User spends way too much time asking for repWHEELIE User spends way too much time asking for rep

I could give it to my friend have it welded for free at his work

but I'd rather just pop the clutch cover off, weld it, and back to riding within a hour
Buy another one and then have that one done....
Old 05-19-2009, 12:45 AM

Originally Posted by WHEELIE
Buy another one and then have that one done....
what don't you understand about being broke? haha just playin

I'm just gonna do it, and if it breaks, **** it. It will be the first time my honda breaks down compared to everyone elses **** breaking down 1/4 the time

Nah but really, I don't have a job, haven't had a real job in over 3 years lol.. Just wanting to knock this out for free
Old 05-19-2009, 01:14 AM
Administrators

what don't you understand about being broke? haha just playin

I'm just gonna do it, and if it breaks, **** it. It will be the first time my honda breaks down compared to everyone elses **** breaking down 1/4 the time

Nah but really, I don't have a job, haven't had a real job in over 3 years lol.. Just wanting to knock this out for free
Then I guess I will buy one and make it for you for your next thread..

I kid I kid... Or am I...

are they that expensive or hard to find???
Old 05-19-2009, 01:26 AM

CBRider94 is an unknown quantity at this point

towlieee is broke, not completely bc i do pay him to work on my **** along with like 5 of our friends