636 tank dent holes?

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2009, 08:59 PM

PeterNoggin is a decent person
636 tank dent holes?

I was denting my tank and it got like three lil tiny holes on the cave'in part I've been trying to find someone to weld it but everyone is like I dont want to blow up type **** and I told people that its been dried out....... some people told me that I could go to autozone and buy some sort of sealer or something but i thought gas would eat things up........
Old 05-10-2009, 09:02 PM
Chris*Stunner

Chris*Stunner is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: 636 tank dent holes?

Try putting something over the holes.... like that **** u put when theres a whole on the wall... and the try to sand the tank alittle by where theres a hole and try to put on JB Weld.... they seel it in discount Auto Parts or Auto Zone i think..... it should hold but not sure just give it a try....
Old 05-10-2009, 09:04 PM

Originally Posted by team909of305
Try putting something over the holes.... like that **** u put when theres a whole on the wall... and the try to sand the tank alittle by where theres a hole and try to put on JB Weld.... they seel it in discount Auto Parts or Auto Zone i think..... it should hold but not sure just give it a try....
see I was thinking jb to but read that gas will eat that **** over time
Old 05-10-2009, 10:17 PM
motarded

jordanv3122 is a decent person

jb weld. it will proly take gas a long time to eat through it and when it does just do it again.
Old 05-10-2009, 11:12 PM

Originally Posted by jordanv3122
jb weld. it will proly take gas a long time to eat through it and when it does just do it again.
would bondo work if I jb it first
Old 05-10-2009, 11:14 PM

ratherbewalking is an unknown quantity at this point

dude... jb weld it. end of story
Old 05-11-2009, 02:57 AM

Old Man Spooner is a decent person

Jb's still holdin' strong on mine.
Old 05-11-2009, 03:10 AM
also known as OMR

old man roger User spends way too much time asking for repold man roger User spends way too much time asking for repold man roger User spends way too much time asking for repold man roger User spends way too much time asking for repold man roger User spends way too much time asking for repold man roger User spends way too much time asking for repold man roger User spends way too much time asking for repold man roger User spends way too much time asking for repold man roger User spends way too much time asking for repold man roger User spends way too much time asking for repold man roger User spends way too much time asking for rep

if you take the fuel pump out and hose the tank out with water it is perfectly safe to weld
Old 05-11-2009, 06:30 AM

Originally Posted by old man roger
if you take the fuel pump out and hose the tank out with water it is perfectly safe to weld

and thats what ive told people but they dont want to listen I dont want a half *** job
Old 05-11-2009, 06:31 AM
also known as OMR

old man roger User spends way too much time asking for repold man roger User spends way too much time asking for repold man roger User spends way too much time asking for repold man roger User spends way too much time asking for repold man roger User spends way too much time asking for repold man roger User spends way too much time asking for repold man roger User spends way too much time asking for repold man roger User spends way too much time asking for repold man roger User spends way too much time asking for repold man roger User spends way too much time asking for repold man roger User spends way too much time asking for rep

bring the tank with you and stand there with a lighter lit in the fuel pump hole.....lol
Old 05-11-2009, 08:56 AM

JohnR is an unknown quantity at this point

def get it welded....i just went through this ****....but take it to somone who knows what they are doing because if they dont do it right they will burn straight through the tank...
Old 05-11-2009, 09:29 AM
T/C
Squid...

T/C has a spectacular aura aboutT/C has a spectacular aura about

Most welders still will not mess with it... There could still be fumes (Not saying always but there is always a slight chance it could still have some and for that small off a job its not worth it to anyone.. It would be maybe $10 of work with a chance of blowing up if some dumb *** kid did not clean it out right.

Originally Posted by DSGSXR600
and thats what ive told people but they dont want to listen I dont want a half *** job
They dont care Lol Most will only cut/weld on something if it has been cut up... No Chance of fumes building up that way.l

Originally Posted by JohnR
def get it welded....i just went through this ****....but take it to somone who knows what they are doing because if they dont do it right they will burn straight through the tank...
+1 Its thin and some dumb *** with a mig will burn it up like its paper... Besides everything else i said i still agree take the time and find someone who knows what they are doing and will take the time to do it.. I would not 1/2 *** the job or you will just have to come back and redo it. There may not be many that will... But you will find someone Pay the dude good though!
Old 05-11-2009, 10:33 AM

DCP-TED is an unknown quantity at this point

JB WELD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !! thats it. DO IT!
Old 05-11-2009, 11:03 AM

Wheelie Ripper is an unknown quantity at this point

the metal on those tanks are thin as hell and a mig will burn even more holes in it hahaha. I JB weleded a few pin holes in mine and let it cure for a long *** time (3 months while it was at the paint shop) and haven't had any problems with it. Best thing to do before welding it is to run exhaust through the tank for a few minutes, this will make it so there are no more flammable fumes in there.
Old 05-11-2009, 12:05 PM
T/C
Squid...

Originally Posted by Wheelie Ripper
the metal on those tanks are thin as hell and a mig will burn even more holes in it hahaha. I JB weleded a few pin holes in mine and let it cure for a long *** time (3 months while it was at the paint shop) and haven't had any problems with it. Best thing to do before welding it is to run exhaust through the tank for a few minutes, this will make it so there are no more flammable fumes in there.
You can weld a tank just fine if you know what you are doing..
Old 05-11-2009, 12:20 PM
also known as OMR

welded mine with a mig no biggy , i rinsed it with water and went to town , it's so small that once the cap and pump are out of it and it's been rinsed with water there really isnt any way there could be fumes left in it
Old 05-11-2009, 12:29 PM

Wheelie Ripper is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by T/C
You can weld a tank just fine if you know what you are doing..
I know you can weld a tank, but I am saying that on 05/06 636's, the metal is VERY thin and is not something that average joe can do. The spot i tried to weld on mine was so thin that just the arc was putting holes in it.
Old 05-11-2009, 12:31 PM
T/C
Squid...

welded mine with a mig no biggy , i rinsed it with water and went to town , it's so small that once the cap and pump are out of it and it's been rinsed with water there really isnt any way there could be fumes left in it
Im just going by what i have always been told by People who weld for a living (I help manage a family owned steel yard/welding supply company) .. I would weld it i welded mine But most will not weld anything that has held gas of any type.
Old 05-11-2009, 12:36 PM
also known as OMR

Originally Posted by T/C
Im just going by what i have always been told by People who weld for a living (I help manage a family owned steel yard/welding supply company) .. I would weld it i welded mine But most will not weld anything that has held gas of any type.
a 50 gallon tank can be hard to rinse out and i understand some one not wanting to deal with that but 5 gallon tank is so small and easy to rinse i cant see it being a problem but ya some people are just dead set against it ...

i used to weld tanks for roll offs and dump trucks and we would just keep the tank full of argon , never had a problem
Old 05-11-2009, 12:40 PM
T/C
Squid...

a 50 gallon tank can be hard to rinse out and i understand some one not wanting to deal with that but 5 gallon tank is so small and easy to rinse i cant see it being a problem but ya some people are just dead set against it ...

i used to weld tanks for roll offs and dump trucks and we would just keep the tank full of argon , never had a problem
Pretty much all i had ever messed with was bigger tanks... But when i was trying to find someone to weld my tank up for me i was told by all of are welders that they wont do it with out it being cut.. But im sure its just up to the person ... Hell my step dads brother welds pipe lines while they are still on fire

Quick Reply: 636 tank dent holes?