Cage design, give me your input

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2009, 10:11 PM

Towlieee is a glorious beacon of lightTowlieee is a glorious beacon of lightTowlieee is a glorious beacon of lightTowlieee is a glorious beacon of lightTowlieee is a glorious beacon of lightTowlieee is a glorious beacon of light
Cage design, give me your input

Building myself another cage.. My last cage was built of a VERY shitty grade steel, and had even shittier welds..

This one I'm using NEW good steel (instead of rusted crap) and wanting to make it STRONG AS HELL

Heres 4 different designs I was thinking of.. Mainly was looking at #1.. But didn't know if it would be strong enough... Then again, tygershark only uses 2 mounts and I'm using 3???
Was also considering #2 or #4.. Btw the little 'tails' in my picture are to connect both sides together like a SI cage

I'm using 1 1/4" tubing this time that is 5/16" wall, and the main tube on the main motor mount is 1 7/8" with 1/4" wall, using custom aluminum sliders

Btw this picture is of my bike with its current cage.. Basically planning on doing the front part of the cage the same, with the rear bar of the cage being bent, and mounting to the motor mount instead of the subframe mount so its not a shin basher...
Also will add my own gussets/ 45degree pieces in the corners
ANY INPUT??

first cage my favorite design

2nd cage my 2nd favorite design, basically same as first but with a cross bar.. Just don't know if the crossbar is overkill, would definitely add a good deal of weight, plus if I did manage to bend the cage, it would probably bent both sides..

Eh this design looks retarded, but figured I'd post it up anyways

And this one, the back bottom loop is going to the swingarm bolt using a allthread through it.. Avoids having to connect both sides together, but still gives me more mounts then any cage on the market

Last edited by Towlieee; 05-04-2009 at 10:15 PM.
Old 05-04-2009, 10:26 PM
Squid Supreme

stick1300 will become famous soon enough
Re: Cage design, give me your input

That last one would be a shin killer IMHO...
Old 05-04-2009, 10:30 PM
ATOWNCUSTOMS.COM

squidlyr6 is a decent person

just but a a-town cage there awsome i watched him loop his bike twice in a row at like 15 mph hit so hard the bike caught air after hitting the bar and the thing is still fine fires right up trust me worth the money
Old 05-04-2009, 10:31 PM

Scott- is an unknown quantity at this point

sickinnovations has a killer design lol
Old 05-04-2009, 10:47 PM

Towlieee is a glorious beacon of lightTowlieee is a glorious beacon of lightTowlieee is a glorious beacon of lightTowlieee is a glorious beacon of lightTowlieee is a glorious beacon of lightTowlieee is a glorious beacon of light

Any of you guys loan me money for a cage

or find me a job that pays over $50/hr and im down

other wise, I"d rather spend 3-4 hours building my own instead of making $10/hr at a job and work for 30 hours lol

I'd just directly copy a SI or impaktec, but they got a shitload of bends.. And I don't have a bender at my house, I have to have my friend do it at his shop.. So I'd rather not spend hours going bad and forth for perfect bends, and instead just do 1-2 bends and make them work

BTW had a SI cage, bent it to **** lol.. bent it back and sold to my friend

I don't mean to diss any companys.. But SI uses too small of tubing, they should make their cages 1/8th bigger and they'd be 10000000x better.. Not saying they aren't strong, just the fact sockets barely fit in them when they are brand new, and they have to beat in with a hammer once your cage bends, sucks..
And tygershark, I'm not doubting they are dope, but just think, if the either added a cross bar, or added a bar going to the front motor mount.. Would be twice as strong!

I don't have a job, don't plan on getting one, I'm a DIY guy. I don't pay anyone to change my oil, I don't pay anyone to change my tires, I haven't even bought a tire in over 3 years for my car OR my bike.
I'm down to buy products I have to, but if I can make them way cheaper, I'l make them first

Last edited by Towlieee; 05-04-2009 at 10:50 PM.
Old 05-04-2009, 11:09 PM

I'm just mainly wanting to know if I should take the time to make a cross bar or not with a 3 point design

and whether or not I should incorporate a swingarm mount
Old 05-05-2009, 05:14 AM
control switcher

Dr_Rip_It will become famous soon enough

love the detail in cage drawlings lol
Old 05-05-2009, 05:27 AM
ATOWNCUSTOMS.COM

squidlyr6 is a decent person

i just think where it comes down to the pointif you have no way to connect to the other side it will just crush into the motor
plus my bike is in a-towns garage he has a bunch of f41 cages lienf around ill steal you one
Old 05-05-2009, 12:51 PM

Originally Posted by Dr_Rip_It
love the detail in cage drawlings lol
6 hours in cad drawing that
Old 05-05-2009, 11:11 PM
control switcher

Dr_Rip_It will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by Towlieee
6 hours in cad drawing that
good stuff
Old 05-10-2009, 06:11 PM
also known as OMR

old man roger User spends way too much time asking for repold man roger User spends way too much time asking for repold man roger User spends way too much time asking for repold man roger User spends way too much time asking for repold man roger User spends way too much time asking for repold man roger User spends way too much time asking for repold man roger User spends way too much time asking for repold man roger User spends way too much time asking for repold man roger User spends way too much time asking for repold man roger User spends way too much time asking for repold man roger User spends way too much time asking for rep

towliee clear your pm's ....