Clutchin 2nd on 600 with stock gearing?

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2003, 03:20 AM

smb123 is an unknown quantity at this point
Originally posted by PERISH
I clutch ( bounce) up at about 50 mph with stock gearing. Your 01 gixxer should do the same. Just takes timing and pratice. Get up to about 50 mph , pull in clutch raise rpms ,(bounce) dump clutch.. I'm still in the learning phase of it... I was getting frustrated at first.... just keep at it...it will come. You will be able to ride wheelies alot longer ... and its smoother too
This is the worst wheelie advice I've ever heard.

Bounce and clutch? People can bounce stock 600s in 3rd, some even in 4th. And dumping the clutch? Come on now. If you use the clutch, it's a quick but progressive release. Ever drag raced and shifted into 2nd (using the clutch) and the front comes up a bit? That's the kind of clutch engagement you want, not a dump!

Originally posted by Cbr600F4
double revving helps a lot ... get goin at about 40-50 .. pull in the clutch give the throttle 2 pumps .... right after the second pump when its at about redline dump the clutch ... just let it pop out ... dont slip it out ... just pop it .. she'll come up
The double revving is all in your head buddy. What's the difference? None. The only difference is that you're putting more wear on your motor by revving it without load.

Originally posted by Fizzer
is that bad abuse to a clutch?
Not bad for the clutch, bad for the gear dogs in whatever gear you are clutching. Notice a lot of people always seem to be having 2nd gear problems, where the gear is engaged but 'slips?' That's usually from a lot of clutching. It puts tremendoes strain on the gear dogs. The clutch doesn't really mind so much, and that's easy as **** (and cheap) to replace anyway.

Originally posted by AJsGSXR

someone please gimme a step by step explaination on bouncing a 2nd wheelie using clutch @ 50 mph
I can do this on my 00 R6 all day long. I have stock gearing, only changes are Ivans jet kit and a slipon (which only adds noise). My suspension is setup HELLA stiff which works against bouncing, but my bike is setup for twisty riding.

Get going at about 40mph or so in 2nd. Roll the throttle on perhaps 1/3 while crouching up until you hit 50mph. At this point, bounce your weight on the pegs (not on the clipons!) and close the throttle at the SAME TIME. Right after you bounce and chop the throttle closed, open it back up maybe 1/2-3/4 throttle. Do NOT try to pull up. DO NOT. You will only pull your weight over the front end as well as pull the front wheel up crooked.

Practice doing it in 40mph in 4th gear -- the front won't come up and you can get the timing and motions down before you actually try to wheelie.

I can do this in 3rd gear somewhat, but am highly limited by my suspension as I have tons of compression and rebound damping. I've seen people do this on stock R6's in 4th gear -- not balanced, but riding it out some.
Old 07-23-2003, 04:01 AM

P-Kidd is an unknown quantity at this point
Originally posted by smb123
This is the worst wheelie advice I've ever heard.

Bounce and clutch? People can bounce stock 600s in 3rd, some even in 4th. And dumping the clutch? Come on now. If you use the clutch, it's a quick but progressive release. Ever drag raced and shifted into 2nd (using the clutch) and the front comes up a bit? That's the kind of clutch engagement you want, not a dump!

Not bad for the clutch, bad for the gear dogs in whatever gear you are clutching. Notice a lot of people always seem to be having 2nd gear problems, where the gear is engaged but 'slips?' That's usually from a lot of clutching. It puts tremendoes strain on the gear dogs. The clutch doesn't really mind so much, and that's easy as **** (and cheap) to replace anyway.

I can do this on my 00 R6 all day long. I have stock gearing, only changes are Ivans jet kit and a slipon (which only adds noise). My suspension is setup HELLA stiff which works against bouncing, but my bike is setup for twisty riding.

Get going at about 40mph or so in 2nd. Roll the throttle on perhaps 1/3 while crouching up until you hit 50mph. At this point, bounce your weight on the pegs (not on the clipons!) and close the throttle at the SAME TIME. Right after you bounce and chop the throttle closed, open it back up maybe 1/2-3/4 throttle. Do NOT try to pull up. DO NOT. You will only pull your weight over the front end as well as pull the front wheel up crooked.

Practice doing it in 40mph in 4th gear -- the front won't come up and you can get the timing and motions down before you actually try to wheelie.

I can do this in 3rd gear somewhat, but am highly limited by my suspension as I have tons of compression and rebound damping. I've seen people do this on stock R6's in 4th gear -- not balanced, but riding it out some.

Dude, that's what works 4 me... Opinions are like a$$holes...everyone has one... Just my
Old 07-23-2003, 01:15 PM

battlehatch is an unknown quantity at this point
yesterday, on the way home from work, i decided to really really try to stand it up in second with no clutch. i got it up to about 55 in second. stood up, rolled on a little bit. as i rolled off i bounced pretty hard on the pegs and whacked it like 1/2 to 3/4 and up it came. i let off the throttle and held it there until it came down maybe 30 feet later. tried it again the same way, and it came up perfect again. now i just gotta get used to the balance point but at least i know i can bring it up in second without the clutch. i have tried all kinds of ways to learn this and this seems to work the best for me... guess you just gotta try different techniques and see what works for you.
Old 07-24-2003, 04:44 AM

AJsGSXR is an unknown quantity at this point
DUDE, sounds like a plan to me ill try it tomorrow morning ill keep you updated on how i do

thanks
Old 07-24-2003, 08:53 PM

AJsGSXR is an unknown quantity at this point
welll i tried it just now and its not working at all. did exactly what you said comes up about 2 inches lol and im cracking that bitch wide open for that too.
does my wieght play a role(i only weigh 125-130)? and does the rebound dampening stiffness setting of the rear wheel play a role(as of now the rear is on the hardest setting)?

maybe im just doing it wrong and am frustrated; ill keep trying though.
TRAFFIC IN LA SUCKz!!!
Old 07-26-2003, 02:50 AM

MisfitR1 is an unknown quantity at this point
I clutched them up easy on my totally stock 01 R6 I had. you should be able to either bounce it up or clutch it up, Im pretty sure you dont need to try both at the same time. On my R6 I would just be accelerating semi fast and when it got around 6 to 7 thou RPMs in second I would pull in the clutch and then let it out fast. I wasnt popping it mind you just sliping it out fast.

but everyone is right when they say practice is the only real thing that will help.