blew another f4i motor...

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2009, 04:43 AM

DirtyToes is a decent person
blew another f4i motor...

so i'm gonna start by saying...**** my life

fresh oil(1 gallon of 20/50), fresh filter, stuntex oil pikckup, no pipe, just straight headers.

rode 10 miles to the stunt spot just fine...busted some circles for an hour...riding back home...pop a 3rd gear wheelie for maybe 100 feet, see chp, set it down, book it....maxing out the bike in 6th gear (+8/-1 sprocket)...the the bike chugs for a 2nd, then completely loses power.

btw, i **** myself thinking the cop was gonna catch up to me but i had enough momentum to switch freeways.

anyway, i pull over, look at the motor is seized, (won't start)....then i notice a small fire under the gas tank and the flame was getting bigger....i managed to put it out by blowing on it (no homo) for like 20 seconds.

i havn't took it apart yet, but my buddy who was riding behind me said he saw what looked like something shot outta the headers and alot of sparks.

any ideas what it could be?

i'm gonna end this by saying **** my life.
Old 04-19-2009, 06:32 AM

Re: blew another f4i motor...

my ONLY possible solution so far for the cause of this is...

because i had no muffler, just straight headers, cold air went back in the motor and fucked up the valves...does that make sense?
Old 04-19-2009, 01:16 PM

Towlieee is a glorious beacon of lightTowlieee is a glorious beacon of lightTowlieee is a glorious beacon of lightTowlieee is a glorious beacon of lightTowlieee is a glorious beacon of lightTowlieee is a glorious beacon of light

20-50 oil?!

That **** can't be good for flowing through the tiny oil passages

Thick oil quiets valves down, but IMO, I don't think it's good for crank bearings or piston walls..

The thickest I ran was rotella 15-40, and it always took my bike longer to build oil pressure..
And when I ran that **** in my car, my car would tick BAD for the first 2-3 seconds on startup, soon as I switched out to 5-30 in my car, it would INSTANTLY get pressure on startup and the ticking went away instantly

but ya it could 'possibly' be because you didn't run a header.. But that should only just burn a valve I'd think. And I'm pretty sure the header is long enough it would never be able to get cold air to the valve
Old 04-19-2009, 01:29 PM

Dat_Boi is a decent person

yea im thinkin it might be from straight header.....
Old 04-19-2009, 05:48 PM

Originally Posted by Towlieee
20-50 oil?!

That **** can't be good for flowing through the tiny oil passages

Thick oil quiets valves down, but IMO, I don't think it's good for crank bearings or piston walls..

The thickest I ran was rotella 15-40, and it always took my bike longer to build oil pressure..
And when I ran that **** in my car, my car would tick BAD for the first 2-3 seconds on startup, soon as I switched out to 5-30 in my car, it would INSTANTLY get pressure on startup and the ticking went away instantly

but ya it could 'possibly' be because you didn't run a header.. But that should only just burn a valve I'd think. And I'm pretty sure the header is long enough it would never be able to get cold air to the valve
idk, it might just be in my head, but my stunt bike always ran better with thick oil in it.

damn, i'm still trying to figure out how the **** the fire started. i woke up all deperessed this morning caz i have 2 blown motors.
if anything, i HOPE it's the valve, that way i can just replace my head and be good with it....i'm gonna rip this baby apart tonight.
Old 04-19-2009, 06:06 PM
NealFoReal

OnEWhEeLNEAL User spends way too much time asking for repOnEWhEeLNEAL User spends way too much time asking for repOnEWhEeLNEAL User spends way too much time asking for repOnEWhEeLNEAL User spends way too much time asking for repOnEWhEeLNEAL User spends way too much time asking for repOnEWhEeLNEAL User spends way too much time asking for repOnEWhEeLNEAL User spends way too much time asking for repOnEWhEeLNEAL User spends way too much time asking for repOnEWhEeLNEAL User spends way too much time asking for repOnEWhEeLNEAL User spends way too much time asking for repOnEWhEeLNEAL User spends way too much time asking for rep

Dam you got no ****** luck
Old 04-19-2009, 11:14 PM

Originally Posted by OnEWhEeLNEAL
Dam you got no ****** luck
you're telling me broski.

...2 blown f4i motors and a fucked up silverado frame...all in 1 month

anyway, just finished taking the bitch apart under some hot ******* daylight.

took off the throttle bodies and water pump. about 5 inches under the pump i noticed a BIG chunk of the motor missing.

this is the part that gets funny....something ******* shot outta the motor and i don't know what it is.

btw, i was able to fire up the motor...it started for 2 seconds, then i killed it. (just incase)

any ******* how...here are the pics...anyone know WTF this is?

...whatever it is, the motor turned over without it...but i didn't leave it running long enough to hear knocking or anything...

(on a side note, this bike's 2nd gear has been fuckD for a while, so i'm guessing it could be a tranny piece.)

p.s. i'll have PONI give a good bj to whoever can figure out WTF this part it...

Old 04-19-2009, 11:20 PM

600flipper is a decent person

Name:  man_bear_pig.jpg
Views: 212
Size:  34.8 KB

Old 04-19-2009, 11:22 PM

600flipper is a decent person

looks like a clamp wouldnt know to what tho ..
Old 04-19-2009, 11:38 PM
Lit
I♥MyF4i.

Lit is a splendid one to beholdLit is a splendid one to beholdLit is a splendid one to beholdLit is a splendid one to beholdLit is a splendid one to beholdLit is a splendid one to beholdLit is a splendid one to behold

dude thats your connecting rod. You either staved it from oil or it had bearing failure. Anyway about it, your fucked. get a new motor. You sureee it had oil pressure to begin with before you rode it? I know this will sound crazy but maybe it didnt have oil pressure the whole day and it being a honda it just took that long to blow up? Was it making any abnormal noises? or was the open header to loud to hear it.
Old 04-20-2009, 12:05 AM

juzslidin has a spectacular aura aboutjuzslidin has a spectacular aura about

+ 1 , its part of yoru connecting rod . and it didnt come out of the exhaust lol . where is the hole ?
Old 04-20-2009, 12:51 AM

Originally Posted by flipper600K5

i'm gonna kill that ************.

Originally Posted by juzslidin
+ 1 , its part of yoru connecting rod . and it didnt come out of the exhaust lol . where is the hole ?
few inches under the water pump

Originally Posted by Lit
dude thats your connecting rod. You either staved it from oil or it had bearing failure. Anyway about it, your fucked. get a new motor. You sureee it had oil pressure to begin with before you rode it? I know this will sound crazy but maybe it didnt have oil pressure the whole day and it being a honda it just took that long to blow up? Was it making any abnormal noises? or was the open header to loud to hear it.
idk, i don't run gauges. WHY wouldn't it have oil pressure tho?! i had a new pick-up O-ring/gasket too. the only problem was i t leaked a TINY bit of oil from around the oil pan.

since the bike still turnes over, can i still ride it? or will it instantly blow up?...i don't care if it rides like ****, as long as it will whoolie

it was really loud, and the only thing i could hear some some squaky noise which i thought was the subframe.

anyone have 2 f4i motors they wanna sell me with a discount?

this blows.
Old 04-20-2009, 01:12 AM

nickxf250 is an unknown quantity at this point

I honestly don't know how the bike is still running, I would have figured the other end of the rod would have smashed into the crank and broke more parts.
Old 04-20-2009, 05:08 AM

so I found this article on boat engines and you can relate it to bikes:

http://www.mecoa.com/faq/conrod/brok...ine/conrod.htm

it quotes:
An ABC engine needs to come up to temperature and running it at an extremely rich setting for a period of time will cause premature wear on the piston as well as the rod to stretch and break. This is because the cylinder is too cold and the piston is forced into the taper and sticks and is then pulled back down with the connecting rod. The normal warm up period will not hurt the engine but trying to run it very rich will because of the accumulative effect of 15,000 rpm’s or 15,000 sticks and pulls of the rod per minute. The damage may not be apparent initially but the rod may break in the future seemingly for no apparent reason.
my conclusion...

no headers, high idle....the bike ran rich...stretched the rod....later that night it snapped.

wait.

Old 04-20-2009, 07:26 AM

i have another motor that was oil starved but everything is still intact.

me and a bud are gonna drop the motor on this one tomorrow and bust it open....this bike didn't have a 2nd gear either so i'll replace the shift dogs too.

all i have to do is replace the broken piece...right? ...or is it more complicated than that?

p.s. the manual says there is a "special" honda tool needed to take off the engine mount bolts...how can i get around this or fabricate my own tool?
Old 04-20-2009, 07:37 AM

skinnyR! is a decent person

ah yes. This thread right is the perfect example of how stunters are a bunch of hackers. Just bolt it back up and put it on the rev limiter. No?

I know, I am not helpful at all, kicken ya when you are down. Couldn't resist.
Old 04-20-2009, 07:46 AM

Originally Posted by skinnyR!
ah yes. This thread right is the perfect example of how stunters are a bunch of hackers. Just bolt it back up and put it on the rev limiter. No?

I know, I am not helpful at all, kicken ya when you are down. Couldn't resist.

blow me.
Old 04-20-2009, 10:14 AM

juzslidin has a spectacular aura aboutjuzslidin has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by DirtyToes
i have another motor that was oil starved but everything is still intact.

me and a bud are gonna drop the motor on this one tomorrow and bust it open....this bike didn't have a 2nd gear either so i'll replace the shift dogs too.

all i have to do is replace the broken piece...right? ...or is it more complicated than that?

p.s. the manual says there is a "special" honda tool needed to take off the engine mount bolts...how can i get around this or fabricate my own tool?
special tool you can make with an old socket . you have to grind it so there are 4 fingers sticking out to loosen the lock nuts for the swing arm pivot .
im not sure what you mean by replace the broken piece so i cant answer ..... but the motor in the bike is pretty much fucked . from what you have said that engine needs cases (both , there matched ) crank , piston and rod , bearings , head gasket ....... and im sure there will be more .
Old 04-20-2009, 10:24 AM
cereal killa

poni can only hope to improve

hahaha a con-rod...hahaha "what is this???" dirty feet you are the man...if i ever need anyhing blown to pieces i'll come see you, but that sucks bigtime bro! is that the engine you just put back together with thew head on it?
Old 04-20-2009, 10:27 AM

Originally Posted by juzslidin
special tool you can make with an old socket . you have to grind it so there are 4 fingers sticking out to loosen the lock nuts for the swing arm pivot .
im not sure what you mean by replace the broken piece so i cant answer ..... but the motor in the bike is pretty much fucked . from what you have said that engine needs cases (both , there matched ) crank , piston and rod , bearings , head gasket ....... and im sure there will be more .
well, the cases/block i can have my buddy weld up (ofcourse after i take it apart so the internals warp)

new headgasket i have

pistons and rods, i have...wouldn't you only need to replace ONE though? (the one that shot out)

bearings, i'm guessing by NEW?

why would i need a new crank?

...p.s. keep it mind the motor still SOMEHOW turns over and runs...no longer seized.

Last edited by DirtyToes; 04-20-2009 at 10:31 AM.

Quick Reply: blew another f4i motor...