Can't remove countershaft sprocket nut

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2009, 02:24 PM
Magnificent Ruffian

Joeyblitz is an unknown quantity at this point
Can't remove countershaft sprocket nut

Been trying for like a week .Put everything I have on it ,then gave up ,took it to my neighborhood mechanic shop and they used an impact gun ,but the ****** wont budge.The dude even tried two different guns ,and still nothing .We had two guys holding bike /front rear brake with bike in 1st gear.Chain still on .Any Ideas would be greatly appriciated!!!!
Old 01-07-2009, 02:26 PM
Magnificent Ruffian

Re: Can't remove countershaft sprocket nut

I also know it is not reverse threaded. + I un pinched the lock washer.This will be the 5th set of sprockets i am putting on this bike .Never had this much ****.
Old 01-07-2009, 02:43 PM
da fiddy bitches!!!

50Outlaw has a reputation beyond repute50Outlaw has a reputation beyond repute50Outlaw has a reputation beyond repute50Outlaw has a reputation beyond repute50Outlaw has a reputation beyond repute50Outlaw has a reputation beyond repute50Outlaw has a reputation beyond repute50Outlaw has a reputation beyond repute50Outlaw has a reputation beyond repute50Outlaw has a reputation beyond repute50Outlaw has a reputation beyond repute

try using a hammer and a punch on it to try to break it lose

thats the only way i got mine
Old 01-07-2009, 02:43 PM
F*(K Yut Uggh

287ridah is an unknown quantity at this point

what I do is get a towel or some thick cloth and wrap it around a steel rod of some sort. Stick both between you back wheel and swingarm(obviously the cloth is to protect the wheel & swingarm). Using a socket and ratchet and another long rod for leverage, pop that bitch off.
Old 01-07-2009, 02:46 PM
also known as OMR

old man roger User spends way too much time asking for repold man roger User spends way too much time asking for repold man roger User spends way too much time asking for repold man roger User spends way too much time asking for repold man roger User spends way too much time asking for repold man roger User spends way too much time asking for repold man roger User spends way too much time asking for repold man roger User spends way too much time asking for repold man roger User spends way too much time asking for repold man roger User spends way too much time asking for repold man roger User spends way too much time asking for rep

i have had to cut them off before , put some marvelmystery oil on it hold the back brake and hit it with a big *** impact gun , if that don't work then a mill bit in a drill does a pretty good job of cutting it slow enough so you don't mess up the threads on the shaft ...
Old 01-07-2009, 02:48 PM
also known as OMR

old man roger User spends way too much time asking for repold man roger User spends way too much time asking for repold man roger User spends way too much time asking for repold man roger User spends way too much time asking for repold man roger User spends way too much time asking for repold man roger User spends way too much time asking for repold man roger User spends way too much time asking for repold man roger User spends way too much time asking for repold man roger User spends way too much time asking for repold man roger User spends way too much time asking for repold man roger User spends way too much time asking for rep

my impact gun is 1/2 inch drive but if you go some where that changes big truck tires like 18 wheeler tires they will have a 3/4inch drive impact that will pop it off i bet
Old 01-07-2009, 05:07 PM

Towlieee is a glorious beacon of lightTowlieee is a glorious beacon of lightTowlieee is a glorious beacon of lightTowlieee is a glorious beacon of lightTowlieee is a glorious beacon of lightTowlieee is a glorious beacon of light

Use brunt impacts to get it off

put a breaker bar on it, take a sledge hammer, hit the breaker bar

Thats what we had to do at the railroad to remove stubborn bolts, we'd put a big 4 foot long wrench on a track bolt, and SLAM a 40ish pound lining bar into the wrench
Old 01-07-2009, 05:49 PM
WWW.Sickinnovations.com

Suicidl is a splendid one to beholdSuicidl is a splendid one to beholdSuicidl is a splendid one to beholdSuicidl is a splendid one to beholdSuicidl is a splendid one to beholdSuicidl is a splendid one to beholdSuicidl is a splendid one to behold

i could not get mine off the 636 so i gave up
Old 01-07-2009, 06:54 PM

Towlieee is a glorious beacon of lightTowlieee is a glorious beacon of lightTowlieee is a glorious beacon of lightTowlieee is a glorious beacon of lightTowlieee is a glorious beacon of lightTowlieee is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Suicidl
i could not get mine off the 636 so i gave up
haha I hear about that ALL the time with 636's

Guess the best advice would make sure you run a GOOD chain on a 636 so you don't gotta worry about stripping your teeth off your sprocket
Old 01-07-2009, 07:01 PM
Bacons Hot, Need a Spot

cjoec01 has much to be proud ofcjoec01 has much to be proud ofcjoec01 has much to be proud ofcjoec01 has much to be proud ofcjoec01 has much to be proud ofcjoec01 has much to be proud ofcjoec01 has much to be proud ofcjoec01 has much to be proud ofcjoec01 has much to be proud ofcjoec01 has much to be proud of

Hit the nut a few times with the hammer. I've put a 2x4 through the wheel and nearly broke it, but when about ready to give up I yank the braker bar frustrated and it pops loose.
Old 01-07-2009, 07:50 PM
Magnificent Ruffian

Thanx everyone! Roger ,I somehow knew you were gonna know.You should really be working for our military or something!!! Fixing f22's or some ****!! The bike is a kawi,so maybe it is a kawi thing.The mechanic was a big fat dude "like 350+lbs. He put a big long bar ratchet on it too,I thought he was gonna snap my tranny or something. I like the Idea of the big truck repair shop.I will try the mystery oil first.I was thinking of dremmeling it too.Thanx again dudes
Old 01-07-2009, 07:57 PM
Mof Diver

mofat01 has a brilliant futuremofat01 has a brilliant futuremofat01 has a brilliant futuremofat01 has a brilliant futuremofat01 has a brilliant futuremofat01 has a brilliant futuremofat01 has a brilliant futuremofat01 has a brilliant futuremofat01 has a brilliant futuremofat01 has a brilliant futuremofat01 has a brilliant future

I got the same problem trying to get the 2 * head bolts off to get my ignition out. I'm soaking it in some PB Blaster and will give it hell tomorrow. These guys are to small for an impact.
Old 01-07-2009, 08:04 PM
Soup Mafia

Ethiopian is a splendid one to beholdEthiopian is a splendid one to beholdEthiopian is a splendid one to beholdEthiopian is a splendid one to beholdEthiopian is a splendid one to beholdEthiopian is a splendid one to beholdEthiopian is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by 287ridah
what I do is get a towel or some thick cloth and wrap it around a steel rod of some sort. Stick both between you back wheel and swingarm(obviously the cloth is to protect the wheel & swingarm). Using a socket and ratchet and another long rod for leverage, pop that bitch off.

+1
Old 01-07-2009, 10:02 PM

damion410 is a decent person

Originally Posted by 287ridah
that's how i would do it. put like a 3 foot pipe on the rachet to make it easy. i suggested this to a guy and he looked at me like i had two heads, but i sugested a piece of 2x4
Old 01-08-2009, 01:34 PM
Magnificent Ruffian

Originally Posted by damion410
that's how i would do it. put like a 3 foot pipe on the rachet to make it easy. i suggested this to a guy and he looked at me like i had two heads, but i sugested a piece of 2x4
I actually do have the ultimate leverage pipe and tried it,But I was thinking I needed something that spun fast like an air gun.I am gonna try the board and towel trick or bar and towel.
Old 01-08-2009, 01:43 PM
Mof Diver

mofat01 has a brilliant futuremofat01 has a brilliant futuremofat01 has a brilliant futuremofat01 has a brilliant futuremofat01 has a brilliant futuremofat01 has a brilliant futuremofat01 has a brilliant futuremofat01 has a brilliant futuremofat01 has a brilliant futuremofat01 has a brilliant futuremofat01 has a brilliant future

Use a torch heat the top up, hit it with a hammer a few times it *should* loosen up. Heating it melts the lock tite if its there and can help break it loose.
Old 01-08-2009, 01:43 PM

-matt g- is an unknown quantity at this point

they are usually punched on & have locktite.. i had a hell of a time getting mine off.. ended up using a breaker bar attached to a wrench and sprayed it a bunch of times with pb bblaster.. it eventually popped off.. they can be a pain in the ***
Old 01-08-2009, 01:49 PM
I Have Too Much Free Time

Zuki750 has a brilliant futureZuki750 has a brilliant futureZuki750 has a brilliant futureZuki750 has a brilliant futureZuki750 has a brilliant futureZuki750 has a brilliant futureZuki750 has a brilliant futureZuki750 has a brilliant futureZuki750 has a brilliant futureZuki750 has a brilliant futureZuki750 has a brilliant future

Heat the nut.
Old 01-08-2009, 01:53 PM

cashmoneyflo is a decent person

get a new bike
Old 01-11-2009, 01:44 PM
FTP

classic customs is a decent person

lift the rear of the bike and run the nut with your air wrench. when it all gets spinning fast drop the rear wheel on the ground. this usually breaks it free

Quick Reply: Can't remove countershaft sprocket nut