Engine noise

Search this Thread

Old 12-26-2008, 02:48 AM

05GIXXER is a decent person
Engine noise

I have noticed a noise coming from the engine after i laid the bike down. I don't notice it when the bike is idle and not in gear, once i put the bike in gear and start riding i hear a loud tick/slapping sound that gets louder the higher the rpm's get.

I took it to a dealer and they said that I have bent a rod, but im not so sure that they really checked it out.all they did was take the clutch cover off and look in there.

Now ii was told by someone that has been riding and working on bikes for quite sometime that its hard to bend a rod in those bikes, he said that i prolly spun a bearing.

Any ideas on what it could be?
Old 12-26-2008, 03:19 AM
$$$$$$$

TheRomanSF415x is a jewel in the roughTheRomanSF415x is a jewel in the roughTheRomanSF415x is a jewel in the roughTheRomanSF415x is a jewel in the rough
Re: Engine noise

the lil you inside your head banging at your skull?

j/k
Old 12-26-2008, 03:22 AM

Originally Posted by TheRomanSF415x
the lil you inside your head banging at your skull?

j/k
thanks
Old 12-26-2008, 08:21 AM

Nick1000 will become famous soon enoughNick1000 will become famous soon enough

Its very hard to diagnose something witout actually hearing it.. why dont u post a little clip with good sound of the problem..

only way ive seen a bent rod is if you hydro lock your motor (oil comes into the cyl, piston goes up and stops... bending the rod) if the motor dident stop abruptly i doubt u have a bent rod a crash is not going to bend a rod..

spun bearing is usually caused by lack of oil.. witch wore down the flat bearings in the rod and the surface that crank rides on now has a gap

if its a spun bearing it should make the noise weather its in gear or not.. u rev the engine the tapping gets louder/faster with the revs' if you have no noise with its revved up in neutral it is NOT a spun bearing

if the noise only happns when ur moving you should be looking @ the chain/sprockets. maby missing/bent teeth on a rear sprocket..

deff try and get a little clip up if ya cant figure it out.

Last edited by Nick1000; 12-26-2008 at 08:27 AM.
Old 12-26-2008, 12:11 PM

Originally Posted by Nick1000
Its very hard to diagnose something witout actually hearing it.. why dont u post a little clip with good sound of the problem..

only way ive seen a bent rod is if you hydro lock your motor (oil comes into the cyl, piston goes up and stops... bending the rod) if the motor dident stop abruptly i doubt u have a bent rod a crash is not going to bend a rod..

spun bearing is usually caused by lack of oil.. witch wore down the flat bearings in the rod and the surface that crank rides on now has a gap

if its a spun bearing it should make the noise weather its in gear or not.. u rev the engine the tapping gets louder/faster with the revs' if you have no noise with its revved up in neutral it is NOT a spun bearing

if the noise only happns when ur moving you should be looking @ the chain/sprockets. maby missing/bent teeth on a rear sprocket..

deff try and get a little clip up if ya cant figure it out.
I wish that I could get ya a sound clip but i'm in Afghanistan right now..when i laid it down it put a hole in the stater cover and rev'ed high for a few seconds till i could get back to it...after i got it home I went ahead and did an oil change and filter....

the motor never stopped running, it was still running till i took it to the dealership and they tore it apart, and when they gave me a quote of $4500 to fix it I told them no, so they didnt put it back together. So now i have to put the clutch back in,and what ever else is on the right side they took out....lol that should be fun considering ive never worked on a bike other then doing my own oil change.
Old 12-26-2008, 12:31 PM
KYD
Retarded

KYD is an unknown quantity at this point

^^^ what he said but if all that checks out take the chain off n put the bike in gear let the clutch out. go through the gears n make sure it makes easy shifts, n if its still clunkin then its in your tranny. if it is then its likely to be a bent shift fork causing a sliding gear to rub on another gear.
Old 12-26-2008, 06:17 PM

Originally Posted by 05GIXXER
I wish that I could get ya a sound clip but i'm in Afghanistan right now..when i laid it down it put a hole in the stater cover and rev'ed high for a few seconds till i could get back to it...after i got it home I went ahead and did an oil change and filter....

the motor never stopped running, it was still running till i took it to the dealership and they tore it apart, and when they gave me a quote of $4500 to fix it I told them no, so they didnt put it back together. So now i have to put the clutch back in,and what ever else is on the right side they took out....lol that should be fun considering ive never worked on a bike other then doing my own oil change.
Again u need to check if it makes the noise while the bike is in neutral, that will narrow down what it could be, Bent shift fork would usual make it not shift but a constant click or knock i wouldn't think would be from a shift fork

What umm core or w.e they call it are u in over there?

Last edited by Nick1000; 12-26-2008 at 06:34 PM.
Old 12-26-2008, 09:27 PM

Again u need to check if it makes the noise while the bike is in neutral, that will narrow down what it could be, Bent shift fork would usual make it not shift but a constant click or knock i wouldn't think would be from a shift fork

What umm core or w.e they call it are u in over there?
well ill be home in about 2 months so i will check it out then....just hope its nothing major, i miss riding!

what core or w.e.? what ya mean?
Old 12-27-2008, 07:08 PM

well ill be home in about 2 months so i will check it out then....just hope its nothing major, i miss riding!

what core or w.e.? what ya mean?
ya not in military?
Old 12-28-2008, 01:13 AM

if you mean core as in branch yeah National Guard
Old 12-28-2008, 05:10 PM

if you mean core as in branch yeah National Guard
I thought national guard was like military that stays in the states
Old 12-28-2008, 10:08 PM

I thought national guard was like military that stays in the states
National Guard gets called out alot, rather it be n the state or other countries....This is my 2nd deployment oversea's