05 636 Front Brake locking up need help

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-2008, 01:07 PM
MERK STEP UGHHHHHH

*trix* is infamous around these parts*trix* is infamous around these parts
05 636 Front Brake locking up need help

Ok so heres the story its a little bit of a doosey, but I will try to simplify it. I had to take the master off to put dirt bars on my 636. I put them on and got one extended line and used a banjo I had in my toolbox. I then went and bleed the brakes with a pump and went to take it for a ride. After about a mile of rideing on and off the front brake it began to lock up on me and I couldnt even push the brake in it was so hard and it locked up my front wheel. I assumed it was the line so I went back and got a new line, the new line did the same thing. I went back to completely stock (stock bars/stock lines) and took the bike for a ride and it still locked back up. I now took the master apart and i see some chaffing and ware on the inside. But now where do i go from this do you think it was the master locking up or do you think that its my calipers locking up
Old 12-02-2008, 01:22 PM
also known as OMR

old man roger User spends way too much time asking for repold man roger User spends way too much time asking for repold man roger User spends way too much time asking for repold man roger User spends way too much time asking for repold man roger User spends way too much time asking for repold man roger User spends way too much time asking for repold man roger User spends way too much time asking for repold man roger User spends way too much time asking for repold man roger User spends way too much time asking for repold man roger User spends way too much time asking for repold man roger User spends way too much time asking for rep
Re: 05 636 Front Brake locking up need help

if the return port on your master was clogged with dirt or some thing that can cause it or if you over filled the res that can cause it , some times over filling the res will not leave any room for the hot fluid to expand and when that happens it causes the pads to not completely release so they will create more heat as you ride and that will cause the fluid to expand more and create more pressure...there is a full line on the res for a reason ...

if it's just a cloged return in the master you can just clean it out , when the master is off the bike and empty you should be able to blow into the res and hear the air coming out of the banjo hole and visa virsa ....

if you can't hear air and the port is clean then you may need to file the pin that pushes the plunger in the master , i will find the thread that describes this hold on
Old 12-02-2008, 01:24 PM
also known as OMR

old man roger User spends way too much time asking for repold man roger User spends way too much time asking for repold man roger User spends way too much time asking for repold man roger User spends way too much time asking for repold man roger User spends way too much time asking for repold man roger User spends way too much time asking for repold man roger User spends way too much time asking for repold man roger User spends way too much time asking for repold man roger User spends way too much time asking for repold man roger User spends way too much time asking for repold man roger User spends way too much time asking for rep

https://www.stuntlife.com/forums/444...dials-hbs.html
Old 12-02-2008, 01:29 PM

crashtest 750 has a spectacular aura aboutcrashtest 750 has a spectacular aura aboutcrashtest 750 has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by old man roger
if the return port on your master was clogged with dirt or some thing that can cause it or if you over filled the res that can cause it , some times over filling the res will not leave any room for the hot fluid to expand and when that happens it causes the pads to not completely release so they will create more heat as you ride and that will cause the fluid to expand more and create more pressure...there is a full line on the res for a reason ...

if it's just a cloged return in the master you can just clean it out , when the master is off the bike and empty you should be able to blow into the res and hear the air coming out of the banjo hole and visa virsa ....

if you can't hear air and the port is clean then you may need to file the pin that pushes the plunger in the master , i will find the thread that describes this hold on

You might also have air in the line. When the brakes get hot the air expands and causes the brake to lock up. That is why that it locks up when hot but not when cold. With as small as the master is you almost have to get every bit of air out.
I usually gravity bleed then power bleed my brakes after that.
Old 12-02-2008, 01:36 PM
MERK STEP UGHHHHHH

ok i have had the res overfilled cause it sits on a slight angle i guess i have to get it angled straight and fill it only to the needed level. I'm gonna clean it out today put it all back together pump it out and take it for another ride and see what happens.
Old 12-02-2008, 01:39 PM
MERK STEP UGHHHHHH

and thank you guys for the help so far i will keep yu posted on whats going on
Old 12-02-2008, 01:46 PM

Trachito has a brilliant futureTrachito has a brilliant futureTrachito has a brilliant futureTrachito has a brilliant futureTrachito has a brilliant futureTrachito has a brilliant futureTrachito has a brilliant futureTrachito has a brilliant futureTrachito has a brilliant futureTrachito has a brilliant futureTrachito has a brilliant future

post an update to see if it worked.
Old 12-02-2008, 02:12 PM

Towlieee is a glorious beacon of lightTowlieee is a glorious beacon of lightTowlieee is a glorious beacon of lightTowlieee is a glorious beacon of lightTowlieee is a glorious beacon of lightTowlieee is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by crashtest 750
You might also have air in the line. When the brakes get hot the air expands and causes the brake to lock up. That is why that it locks up when hot but not when cold. With as small as the master is you almost have to get every bit of air out.
I usually gravity bleed then power bleed my brakes after that.
sounds like you got **** mixed up man

air compresses, fluid does not..

You MUST have air or the pressure has no where to go..
Old 12-02-2008, 02:14 PM
also known as OMR

Originally Posted by Towlieee
sounds like you got **** mixed up man

air compresses, fluid does not..

You MUST have air or the pressure has no where to go..
but both expand when heated
Old 12-02-2008, 02:15 PM
MERK STEP UGHHHHHH

i also had just called a motorcycle repair shop and he said "you can never have to much fluid" .....yeah
Old 12-02-2008, 02:17 PM
also known as OMR

Originally Posted by *trix*
i also had just called a motorcycle repair shop and he said "you can never have to much fluid" .....yeah
don't ask that guy any thing ever again
Old 12-02-2008, 02:19 PM
MERK STEP UGHHHHHH

but both expand when heated

also do you think it could be that i still have air in the lines cause that wouldnt make any sense either when i bleed it and it acts as if theres no air left and theres only fluid when im bleeding it and i have good pressure
Old 12-02-2008, 02:20 PM
MERK STEP UGHHHHHH

and it also only does it when im riding not when im not moving it wont build up pressure even if i pump it for like 5 mins but in 5 mins of riding its rock hard
Old 12-02-2008, 02:24 PM
also known as OMR

also do you think it could be that i still have air in the lines cause that wouldnt make any sense either when i bleed it and it acts as if theres no air left and theres only fluid when im bleeding it and i have good pressure
with out bleeding it my self i couldn't say

and it also only does it when im riding not when im not moving it wont build up pressure even if i pump it for like 5 mins but in 5 mins of riding its rock hard
i suspect the heat building up while your riding is the issue
Old 12-02-2008, 02:32 PM
MERK STEP UGHHHHHH

with out bleeding it my self i couldn't say

i suspect the heat building up while your riding is the issue

Nah I know that the lines are clear 100% cause im using a pump that only has fluid in the lines and I open the bottom bleeders and get everything out, but the heat building up has to be it in some case weather it be air or the fluid not getting back up to the resivoir because of a poor decision i made by overfilling it. I am gonna clean everything out and put it back together and bleed it again, and see what happens. Also i use valvoline dot4 synthetic brake fluid is that fine? or am i incorrect in saying that?
Old 12-02-2008, 02:34 PM
also known as OMR

Nah I know that the lines are clear 100% cause im using a pump that only has fluid in the lines and I open the bottom bleeders and get everything out, but the heat building up has to be it in some case weather it be air or the fluid not getting back up to the resivoir because of a poor decision i made by overfilling it. I am gonna clean everything out and put it back together and bleed it again, and see what happens. Also i use valvoline dot4 synthetic brake fluid is that fine? or am i incorrect in saying that?
thats fine
Old 12-02-2008, 02:36 PM
MERK STEP UGHHHHHH

thats fine
WORD
Old 12-09-2008, 01:05 PM
MERK STEP UGHHHHHH

ok so here is the update. I finally gave up after trying everything that everyone had told me and I went to someone (and I ******* hate going to people for anything cause I alwaysdo **** myself). After him trying everything I had tried we finally came to the conclusion that the brake lever itself wasnt letting the piston come far enough out to loose pressure when letting the fluid back to the resivoir. So we took the pin out that pushes in on the piston inside of the master and shaved off about a half an inch and Voila my brake is stronger then it ever has been, and its not locking up on me at all. Thanks OMR and everyone else who PM'ed me for throwing in their 2 cents to help me out.
Old 12-09-2008, 01:11 PM
also known as OMR

post # 2 in this thread
Old 12-09-2008, 02:38 PM
MERK STEP UGHHHHHH

well it didnt make sense to me that i changed nothing about the brakes in reality that I would have to file it but it just gos to show i should listen to you guys more often

Quick Reply: 05 636 Front Brake locking up need help