Is air box mod bad for bike?

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-2008, 11:34 PM
Group Moderator

GSE Brent is an unknown quantity at this point
Is air box mod bad for bike?

So i know it's just a stunt bike but one of the techs at my work said that the air box mod that i (we) have is bad for the motorcycle and could damage the engine. By putting a t valve in between the pair (pure ram air induction) valves and connecting it to the rear crankcase vent we are causing oil to dump into the exhaust ports eventually flowing into the header. Thats why when its on the 12 bar too long it smokes so much. Eventually it will damage the valves so he says. Any thoughts? Any alternatives? true or false?
Old 06-25-2008, 05:49 AM

TL MILLER is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: Is air box mod bad for bike?

look how many people have doe this mod. How many have had messed up valves. not me so thats one.
Old 06-25-2008, 05:56 AM

phxRRkid will become famous soon enough

never had a problem with my pair mod.......
Old 06-25-2008, 06:02 AM
also known as OMR

old man roger User spends way too much time asking for repold man roger User spends way too much time asking for repold man roger User spends way too much time asking for repold man roger User spends way too much time asking for repold man roger User spends way too much time asking for repold man roger User spends way too much time asking for repold man roger User spends way too much time asking for repold man roger User spends way too much time asking for repold man roger User spends way too much time asking for repold man roger User spends way too much time asking for repold man roger User spends way too much time asking for rep

he is an idiot because the alternative is dumping it into the combustion chamber and that can destroy the whole motor in a single shot, oil doesn't compress and when the motor tries to compress it the connecting rod bends or breaks and shoots out the front of the motor...

and how exactly is oil in the header gonna damage valves ???
Old 06-25-2008, 02:33 PM

tryin636 is a decent person

what mod is this i stood my bike up on the 12 bar for like 30 sec and my air box was full of oil sorry im new , i no its probly a dumb question
Old 06-25-2008, 02:45 PM

Righteous 1 has a spectacular aura aboutRighteous 1 has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by old man roger
he is an idiot because the alternative is dumping it into the combustion chamber and that can destroy the whole motor in a single shot, oil doesn't compress and when the motor tries to compress it the connecting rod bends or breaks and shoots out the front of the motor...

and how exactly is oil in the header gonna damage valves ???
+1
Old 06-25-2008, 02:54 PM

havok is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by tryin636
what mod is this i stood my bike up on the 12 bar for like 30 sec and my air box was full of oil sorry im new , i no its probly a dumb question
omr get this boy some help...hes bike looks pretty minty...
ooh yea thanks for the pm man...ill try to get to do that today...
Old 06-25-2008, 04:54 PM
Group Moderator

and how exactly is oil in the header gonna damage valves ???[/QUOTE]

I don't think it could but what about thru the exhaust ports? I dunno i'm not a tech guy so......
Old 06-25-2008, 04:55 PM
Group Moderator

Theres threads all over this site that tell you how to do the air box mod
Old 06-25-2008, 05:05 PM
hunts and stunts

jstuntlocke is a splendid one to beholdjstuntlocke is a splendid one to beholdjstuntlocke is a splendid one to beholdjstuntlocke is a splendid one to beholdjstuntlocke is a splendid one to beholdjstuntlocke is a splendid one to beholdjstuntlocke is a splendid one to behold

I don't know... maybe some of you guys have thought of this, or maybe it's ben mentioned before..... (I'm not worried about it) but it seems to me that the only other option is to put a filter on the end and cap it off like old trails guys do to their dirtbikes so the oil just goes there instead??

MY KTM had one on it when I got it for the exact same reason we do it to our bikes, except the guy said it's for if he was out on the trails and his bike tipped over, or got stuck upside down, he'd be able to still ride... but it dripped out of the filter eventually onto where??? ....the exhaust midpipe...hahaha so it just smoked from the outside instead!
Old 06-25-2008, 05:12 PM

Towlieee is a glorious beacon of lightTowlieee is a glorious beacon of lightTowlieee is a glorious beacon of lightTowlieee is a glorious beacon of lightTowlieee is a glorious beacon of lightTowlieee is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by jstuntlocke
I don't know... maybe some of you guys have thought of this, or maybe it's ben mentioned before..... (I'm not worried about it) but it seems to me that the only other option is to put a filter on the end and cap it off like old trails guys do to their dirtbikes so the oil just goes there instead??

MY KTM had one on it when I got it for the exact same reason we do it to our bikes, except the guy said it's for if he was out on the trails and his bike tipped over, or got stuck upside down, he'd be able to still ride... but it dripped out of the filter eventually onto where??? ....the exhaust midpipe...hahaha so it just smoked from the outside instead!

Thats exactly how I use to have mine, the crank case breathers just going into small filters

BUUT someone on here told me you GAIN torque from having the clean air mod, like it SUCKS the crankcase gases out increasing low end torque or something like that
Old 06-26-2008, 01:41 AM
also known as OMR

old man roger User spends way too much time asking for repold man roger User spends way too much time asking for repold man roger User spends way too much time asking for repold man roger User spends way too much time asking for repold man roger User spends way too much time asking for repold man roger User spends way too much time asking for repold man roger User spends way too much time asking for repold man roger User spends way too much time asking for repold man roger User spends way too much time asking for repold man roger User spends way too much time asking for repold man roger User spends way too much time asking for rep

welcome to the site and like brent said there are a ton of threads that tell you exactly how to do the mod and why , there are also pics to make it easy ...

use the search funtion and try ''clean air mod'' and then ''kleen air mod ''and then ''air box mod'' ,those three searches should give you enough results to make you an expert on the subject
Old 06-26-2008, 01:43 AM
also known as OMR

Originally Posted by Towlieee
Thats exactly how I use to have mine, the crank case breathers just going into small filters

BUUT someone on here told me you GAIN torque from having the clean air mod, like it SUCKS the crankcase gases out increasing low end torque or something like that
this is true , the mod creates a vacuum in the cranck case
Old 06-26-2008, 02:57 AM

sdfkillz is a glorious beacon of lightsdfkillz is a glorious beacon of lightsdfkillz is a glorious beacon of lightsdfkillz is a glorious beacon of lightsdfkillz is a glorious beacon of light

no problems on my bike 6 months in.
Old 06-26-2008, 03:23 AM
also known as OMR

had it done to mine for years
Old 06-26-2008, 09:29 AM
hunts and stunts

jstuntlocke is a splendid one to beholdjstuntlocke is a splendid one to beholdjstuntlocke is a splendid one to beholdjstuntlocke is a splendid one to beholdjstuntlocke is a splendid one to beholdjstuntlocke is a splendid one to beholdjstuntlocke is a splendid one to behold

Like I said.....

Originally Posted by jstuntlocke
(I'm not worried about it)

.... I got the stuff to do mine the same way ya'll did a week or so ago. just ben too lazy to do it! doesn't matter since I need a couple more parts to make this thing rideable anyways.
Old 06-26-2008, 11:01 AM

T'RIC'KY will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by old man roger
welcome to the site and like brent said there are a ton of threads that tell you exactly how to do the mod and why , there are also pics to make it easy ...

use the search funtion and try ''clean air mod'' and then ''kleen air mod ''and then ''air box mod'' ,those three searches should give you enough results to make you an expert on the subject
If the Search would work would be nice, but I tried all these words a couple times this week and nothing showed up.....not even "air mod"
Old 06-26-2008, 02:14 PM
also known as OMR

heres one where every one argued about the mod for days ...lol

it's long but if you read the whole thing you wil understand how it works

https://www.stuntlife.com/forums/443...-my-636-a.html
Old 06-27-2008, 12:20 PM

T'RIC'KY will become famous soon enough

thanks Roger!
Old 06-28-2008, 02:15 AM
Group Moderator

oh well i'm just gonna stick with the mod nobody else has problems i'd rather deal with the bike smokin alot vs. hydrolocking my motor

Quick Reply: Is air box mod bad for bike?