how do i change thermostat? overheating

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-2008, 12:05 AM

DirtyToes is a decent person
how do i change thermostat? overheating

so i rode my bike through some twisties far away with a bad radiator(had a leak/hole), when we got to the top i realized it was outta coolant.

so had to ride it back home with no coolant in there, maybe 20-30 miles. but the weather was cool and i was on the highway so the temp stayed between 180-200.

replaced the radiator with a good one and filled it back up.

anyway, now, the temperature reading is completely off, it almost always shows the bike as really hot.

...so i'm thinking and HOPING the thermostat is busted since that's what puts out the temp reading.

found this:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/2001-...spagenameZWD1V

but where the hell is the thermostat and how hard is it to change?
Old 05-02-2008, 12:20 AM
AZ's Finest!

*Tanus* will become famous soon enough
Re: how do i change thermostat? overheating

is the fan stock wired? also is their any leaks?
Old 05-02-2008, 12:38 AM

no leaks, and yes, the fan is stock wired. (or still has it's stock wiring)

but ever since that ^^ happened, i hooked up a switch to it, (the extra/separate ground method)....tested the fan, left my switch off and let it reach 230ish and it turned on so the stock wiring werks.

now i turn it on as soon as i turn the bike on so it keeps the bike cool or fools the thermostat into thinking it's cool.
Old 05-02-2008, 02:49 AM
AZ's Finest!

well if its wired stock, you heat the bike up till the fan comes on(220), then if the fan shuts back off after a minute than the thermostat is good.

also if the thermostat is bad after the bike runs for 5-10 minutes the motor will be hot but the radiator will still be cool to the touch because the water never cycled through.
Old 05-02-2008, 02:46 PM

ahhhhh i see.

well, the fan comes on ad 220-230ish but it never goes off unless i turn the bike off or start going really fast so the wind starts cooling down the motor.

i'll try ur idea today and see if the radiator gets hot.
Old 05-02-2008, 10:21 PM

RESULTS:

test #1...
bike idling at 1:50rpm sitting still, temp went up to 231, fan kicks on, temp drops to 229, fan stays on. 5 secs after i turn off the bike, the fan kicks off, turn the ignition back on and temp is at 228.

test #2...
bike was cold, let it warm up, rode it for 5 minutes, stopped, the radiator was hot as ****.

so do i need a new thermostat or what?
Old 05-02-2008, 10:30 PM
"Keep Your F4i's IDIOTS"

50slut will become famous soon enough

i believe if your thermostat wuz stuck closed your bike would get super hot fan or no fan!
if your thermostat was stuck open you probably woundn't even know it except it may take a bit longer to get up to temp
from wut you've said in your couple posts, it dont even sound like you have a problem but wut the hell were you thinkin riding 20-30 miles with no coolant in your bike

mabey the thermostat in your replacement radiator is wacked out, try swapping it out
Old 05-02-2008, 11:04 PM
AZ's Finest!

Originally Posted by 50slut

mabey the thermostat in your replacement radiator is wacked out, try swapping it out
that would be a temp sensor, I would swap with old one and if that doesnt work a would say waterpump more likely than thermostat
Old 05-02-2008, 11:19 PM
Scrapes Elbow

Wheeliest is a name known to allWheeliest is a name known to allWheeliest is a name known to allWheeliest is a name known to allWheeliest is a name known to allWheeliest is a name known to all

ps: your all wrong.. when u replaced your radiator u drained all your fluid...

u have AIR pockets now.. when the bike is cold take off your rad cap and start your bike up.. let run to 216 +/- degrees rad fluid will drop significantly.. now add rad fluid install cap after it cools for a little while PROBLEM solved.

and thats how u burp a radiator.
Old 05-03-2008, 05:44 AM

basically the problem is the bike gets hot WAYYYY too quick, and i noticed it warmed up very quick this morning(from a cold start)....for example, i'll be riding with other 600s (including other f4is) and they'll be at 180 and my bike would be at 210 or 220.

Originally Posted by *Tanus*
that would be a temp sensor, I would swap with old one and if that doesnt work a would say waterpump more likely than thermostat
stupid question but...wat does the water pump do?

Originally Posted by Wheeliest
ps: your all wrong.. when u replaced your radiator u drained all your fluid...

u have AIR pockets now.. when the bike is cold take off your rad cap and start your bike up.. let run to 216 +/- degrees rad fluid will drop significantly.. now add rad fluid install cap after it cools for a little while PROBLEM solved.

and thats how u burp a radiator.
hmmm..i HOPE you're right, caz that has the easiest solution. i thought the way to do it was to basically...
1. pop the cap off
2. start the bike for 2-3 seconds
3. add fluid

tried that, fluid level didn't go down at all. didn't know you're supposed to let it warm up to 216 +/- degrees.

...i'll try it and post up what happens.
Old 05-03-2008, 12:53 PM
"Keep Your F4i's IDIOTS"

50slut will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by DirtyToes
stupid question but...wat does the water pump do?

come on now bud, it pumps water!
i'd say just start trying sum of this stuff n see wut happens
Old 05-03-2008, 01:19 PM

Towlieee is a glorious beacon of lightTowlieee is a glorious beacon of lightTowlieee is a glorious beacon of lightTowlieee is a glorious beacon of lightTowlieee is a glorious beacon of lightTowlieee is a glorious beacon of light

hmmm..i HOPE you're right, caz that has the easiest solution. i thought the way to do it was to basically...
1. pop the cap off
2. start the bike for 2-3 seconds
3. add fluid

tried that, fluid level didn't go down at all. didn't know you're supposed to let it warm up to 216 +/- degrees.

...i'll try it and post up what happens.
yup, and for future reference, its the same on cars or whatever

Anytime you drain your coolant, gotta run the motor tell its hot with the cap off
Old 05-06-2008, 09:02 PM

Originally Posted by Towlieee
yup, and for future reference, its the same on cars or whatever

Anytime you drain your coolant, gotta run the motor tell its hot with the cap off
good ****

did this last night, made huge mess! thank god i did it outside the garage.

so around 170 (temp) the coolant started rising and coming out of the radiator, thought it was no big deal and i'd clean it up, i let it keep going.

little air bubbles started coming up, it reached 217, i let it keep going as there were still air bubbles coming it, it hit 230, and off goes the fan, as soon as that happened, it started shooting coolant everywhere, then i turned it off and big air bubble came up and i filled it back up with 1 and a half bottle of honda coolant.

rode it today for 2 hours with the fan off and it didn't go past 210!

big thx to all u guys
Old 05-07-2008, 09:59 AM
cereal killa

poni can only hope to improve

yea dude, risde her with the cap on and the res' half filled, any airbubbles will be displaced with coolant when the system cools off and draws coolant to fill the void where the air was....just keep an eye on the res' level and top up what the system takes to get rid of air..
Old 05-08-2008, 09:14 PM

bratt is a decent person
Cool Re: how do i change thermostat? overheating

burping the cooling system kool
Old 05-12-2008, 04:06 AM

****!

i was riding last night in pretty cold weather, 2am, 50ish degrees, my **** was constantly around 220 and quickly reached 230 (the fan turned on) when i stopped.

i'm gonna to bleed the radiator again.
Old 05-12-2008, 04:21 AM
also known as OMR

old man roger User spends way too much time asking for repold man roger User spends way too much time asking for repold man roger User spends way too much time asking for repold man roger User spends way too much time asking for repold man roger User spends way too much time asking for repold man roger User spends way too much time asking for repold man roger User spends way too much time asking for repold man roger User spends way too much time asking for repold man roger User spends way too much time asking for repold man roger User spends way too much time asking for repold man roger User spends way too much time asking for rep

don't let it get so hot this time because when the coolant isn't under pressure it will boil at a lower temp just let it run long enough so you can see the coolant flowing in the radiator then just put the cap on and ride it for a few minutes so it is up to temp then when it cools take off the cap and make sure it's full
Old 05-12-2008, 07:58 PM
Scrapes Elbow

Wheeliest is a name known to allWheeliest is a name known to allWheeliest is a name known to allWheeliest is a name known to allWheeliest is a name known to allWheeliest is a name known to all

also it helps to use actual honda coolant and to flush the system with distilled water so there is minimum contaminants
Old 05-13-2008, 02:53 AM

omr, i'm gonna do it again tom., i'll just let it warm up(with the cap open) until the radiator fluid starts rising....rite?

wheeliest, how do you "flush" the system? ...and i always use honda coolant, the one that comes in the blue bottle.

ps..likin the new avatar ^^
Old 05-13-2008, 04:02 AM
also known as OMR

old man roger User spends way too much time asking for repold man roger User spends way too much time asking for repold man roger User spends way too much time asking for repold man roger User spends way too much time asking for repold man roger User spends way too much time asking for repold man roger User spends way too much time asking for repold man roger User spends way too much time asking for repold man roger User spends way too much time asking for repold man roger User spends way too much time asking for repold man roger User spends way too much time asking for repold man roger User spends way too much time asking for rep

omr, i'm gonna do it again tom., i'll just let it warm up(with the cap open) until the radiator fluid starts rising....rite?

wheeliest, how do you "flush" the system? ...and i always use honda coolant, the one that comes in the blue bottle.

ps..likin the new avatar ^^
not till it starts rising but till it starts flowing , if you look in the radiator while it is warming up you will see the coolant shooting out of the little tubes

Quick Reply: how do i change thermostat? overheating