how do i change thermostat? overheating

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-2008, 04:19 AM

DirtyToes is a decent person
Re: how do i change thermostat? overheating

Originally Posted by old man roger
not till it starts rising but till it starts flowing , if you look in the radiator while it is warming up you will see the coolant shooting out of the little tubes
the bike is FF, i can't look thru it, it's hard enough to pour coolant in there, i have to use one of those bendable funnels. and it's a bitch to get the plastics off.

is it any different if i wait till it starts rising?
Old 05-13-2008, 05:30 AM
also known as OMR

old man roger User spends way too much time asking for repold man roger User spends way too much time asking for repold man roger User spends way too much time asking for repold man roger User spends way too much time asking for repold man roger User spends way too much time asking for repold man roger User spends way too much time asking for repold man roger User spends way too much time asking for repold man roger User spends way too much time asking for repold man roger User spends way too much time asking for repold man roger User spends way too much time asking for repold man roger User spends way too much time asking for rep

well you want to know if it's circulating or not ,got one of those little mirrors on a stick so you can see in there or can you just take off the ram air tube so you can see in there ?
Old 05-15-2008, 04:53 AM

well you want to know if it's circulating or not ,got one of those little mirrors on a stick so you can see in there or can you just take off the ram air tube so you can see in there ?
ohh i see....so look thru it and see if the coolant is moving?

...i have to adjust the cam chain anyway so i guess i'll set some time apart to do this **** with it since i have to take off the tank and rs plastic.
Old 05-15-2008, 05:05 AM
also known as OMR

old man roger User spends way too much time asking for repold man roger User spends way too much time asking for repold man roger User spends way too much time asking for repold man roger User spends way too much time asking for repold man roger User spends way too much time asking for repold man roger User spends way too much time asking for repold man roger User spends way too much time asking for repold man roger User spends way too much time asking for repold man roger User spends way too much time asking for repold man roger User spends way too much time asking for repold man roger User spends way too much time asking for rep

yes if it isn't circulating then your thermostat is bad or your radiator is clogged
Old 05-15-2008, 01:20 PM

xeriotti is an unknown quantity at this point

if yo ulive on warm weather....i mean...no supercold winters...the best yo ucan do is to drill holes on your thermostat...or remove it completely.... if you ride only lots its a must
Old 05-15-2008, 03:01 PM
also known as OMR

thats bad advise , taking it out can cause it to run hotter because one of the reasons the thermostat is there is to restrict the flow of the coolant even when the thermostat is wide open ..

if you take it out some times the coolant doesn't stay in the radiator long enough to cool off ....if your moving down the road you will be fine cause there is alot of air going across the radiator but doing slow stuff and burnouts you would want a thermostat
Old 05-16-2008, 04:41 AM

i see, but doesn't it mean the thermostat is good if the fan is coming on?

...i was thinking if it doesn't flow, its the water pump?
Old 05-16-2008, 04:50 AM
also known as OMR

the fan can come on if the coolant gets hot enough and the water pumps on bike last a long long time so if it wasn't flowing i would suspect the thermostat before i would suspect the water pump
Old 05-16-2008, 06:01 AM

the fan can come on if the coolant gets hot enough and the water pumps on bike last a long long time so if it wasn't flowing i would suspect the thermostat before i would suspect the water pump
"roger" that.

i'll check it out hopefully this weekend.