f4i runs like mad WHEN it starts

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2008, 05:02 PM
is back on the dirt

the gnar is a decent person
f4i runs like mad WHEN it starts

so my new problem is one of my old ones.
when i went to start my f4i yesterday it started to turn then popped and and stopped. my old motor use to do this so now i'm baffled. my fuel pump primes fine and the battery is fine. i even hooked it up just to make sure.

the problem is the motor acts likes it seized up and wont turn over. normally some rocking and rolling is enough but last night i had to lift the rear tire off the ground and stick a pry bar in my wheel to get the motor to turn over. then started it right up.

it runs fine and starts up daily but if i let it sit for like 3 days it locks up. like the starter doesn't have enough ***** to get the 1 cylinder past the final part of the stroke.

is it my oil maybe? its the same **** i use in my RR and never had a problem.

thanks in advance.
Old 04-17-2008, 06:44 PM
B.T.M.

crtchrktrcr is a splendid one to beholdcrtchrktrcr is a splendid one to beholdcrtchrktrcr is a splendid one to beholdcrtchrktrcr is a splendid one to beholdcrtchrktrcr is a splendid one to beholdcrtchrktrcr is a splendid one to beholdcrtchrktrcr is a splendid one to behold
Re: f4i runs like mad WHEN it starts

could be bad gas.. flush it out.. put new **** in.. change the oil, check the plugs... just maintinance check everything
Old 04-17-2008, 07:43 PM
is back on the dirt

Originally Posted by crtchrktrcr
could be bad gas.. flush it out.. put new **** in.. change the oil, check the plugs... just maintinance check everything
on my 3rd tank of 91, did the oil like 100 miles ago, same with plugs, did new ones with the motor. its the wierdest thing.
Old 04-18-2008, 12:32 AM
B.T.M.

crtchrktrcr is a splendid one to beholdcrtchrktrcr is a splendid one to beholdcrtchrktrcr is a splendid one to beholdcrtchrktrcr is a splendid one to beholdcrtchrktrcr is a splendid one to beholdcrtchrktrcr is a splendid one to beholdcrtchrktrcr is a splendid one to behold

could be ECU.. or timing chain skipped.. **** i dunno. i only replied so i could look at your avatar.
Old 04-18-2008, 01:07 AM
Scrapes Elbow

Wheeliest is a name known to allWheeliest is a name known to allWheeliest is a name known to allWheeliest is a name known to allWheeliest is a name known to allWheeliest is a name known to all

sounds like a leaking fuel injector. let the bike sit for three days then pull ur plugs an check the cylinders for gas. shine a flash light in the spark plug hole and actually look or turn the motor over while the plugs are out and watch for gas shooting out of the cylinder sparkplug hole.
Old 04-18-2008, 01:10 AM
da fiddy bitches!!!

50Outlaw has a reputation beyond repute50Outlaw has a reputation beyond repute50Outlaw has a reputation beyond repute50Outlaw has a reputation beyond repute50Outlaw has a reputation beyond repute50Outlaw has a reputation beyond repute50Outlaw has a reputation beyond repute50Outlaw has a reputation beyond repute50Outlaw has a reputation beyond repute50Outlaw has a reputation beyond repute50Outlaw has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by crtchrktrcr
could be ECU.. or timing chain skipped.. **** i dunno. i only replied so i could look at your avatar.
nah not the timing chain... if the timing chain skipped it wouldnt idle for ****...
Old 04-18-2008, 01:59 AM

CRASH411MJ is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by 50Outlaw
nah not the timing chain... if the timing chain skipped it wouldnt idle for ****...
fuel pressure regulator letting fuel seep into the cylinders?
Old 04-18-2008, 11:06 AM
is back on the dirt

Originally Posted by Wheeliest
sounds like a leaking fuel injector. let the bike sit for three days then pull ur plugs an check the cylinders for gas. shine a flash light in the spark plug hole and actually look or turn the motor over while the plugs are out and watch for gas shooting out of the cylinder sparkplug hole.
ok, i'll let it start to sit sunday night. that def makes sense tho.
what the fix? new injectors?
Old 04-18-2008, 01:09 PM
Scrapes Elbow

Wheeliest is a name known to allWheeliest is a name known to allWheeliest is a name known to allWheeliest is a name known to allWheeliest is a name known to allWheeliest is a name known to all

yeah new injectors and if its cylinder #3 (one is on the left/clutch side) its fuel pressure regulator. which will need to be replaced, your best bet is to pick up a throttle body assembly off ebay or classifieds. or a fuel pressure regulator
Old 04-19-2008, 03:05 PM
is back on the dirt

cool. thanks man.
Old 04-19-2008, 03:38 PM
Scrapes Elbow

it would probably help to prime your fuel pump a few times a day so the system stays pressurized and will leak an abundant amount of fuel into the cylinder if that is the case.