Blown Piston, Help me!

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2008, 08:05 PM

TeaMoney is an unknown quantity at this point
Blown Piston, Help me!

Alright here's the deal. I have a Kx500 dirtbike, a 2-smoker, and I just blew the piston. I was going to sell it but now I think I'm gonna keep it until it's running good, don't want to give someone a bad bike. Anyhow my question for you guys is how to I go about taking the top end off without loosing pieces of the piston and having them fall in the bottom end, I DO NOT want to have to take that apart and go digging for tiny pieces of metal.

And to add to that does anyone know a good machine shop in Jersey, near Jackson/Millstone/Cream Ridge, that could sleeve my top end for a good price? I'd appreciate some advice here, thanks.
Old 04-13-2008, 08:29 PM
Master of The Catapault!

Fuzzy Nutz is a decent person
Re: Blown Piston, Help me!

if the piston isn't broken then don't worry about it... if it IS broken then you need to split it anyway to clean out the pieces and inspect the case and crank... most of the time that I've seen a piston break in a 2stroke, it has either damaged the crank or case or both when pieces got beat around by the crank... sorry to crush your dreams...
Old 04-13-2008, 09:17 PM

Yea well don't worry your not cruishin anything but my wallet. The piston blew when I was doing about 90-100 on the flats and the back tire just locked up, luckyily I pulled in the clutch and regained control before the back end swung out on me. I'm expecting some nice cuts in the cylinder wall too, hoping not too deep.

The back tire still doesnt move so I don't think the connecting rod or crank are bad but I'll have to look at them when the weather is nice again.
I've already had the piston blow once and had it resleeved, you think I'll be alright resleeving it again?
I know that they cane hone it out 3 or 4 times but then you have a higher chance of blowing the top end again.

I'm trying to do this the cheapest way possible here, but time I do have so if I have to take the bottom end apart so be it. Whatever advice you guys have would be great.
Old 04-14-2008, 10:05 PM

Got a few things sorted out here. If you guys have any advice or tips for me go to the thread in this section titled "Rebuilding and Cleaning my Engine "
Thanks
-Tea