636 Fram Oil Filter Or Switch

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2008, 07:22 PM

Stubbz is an unknown quantity at this point
636 Fram Oil Filter Or Switch

i changed my oil over winter and installed a Fram oil filter and when i fired my bike up for first time in months the oil light on the dash stayed on, anyone else have this problem with a Fram filter? only other thing it could be is the oil pressure sensor but it worked fine when i put the bike away. it sounds as if its getting oil cuz i ran it a bit and it sounds just fine, if it was getting no oil it would be noticable with the noise i'm sure. someone mentioned to me that frams can restrict oil but wondering if anyone else had same problem
Old 03-28-2008, 06:49 AM

Re: 636 Fram Oil Filter Or Switch

anyone? maybe its just a bad switch, gonna swap it out this weekend and see what happens i guess
Old 03-28-2008, 08:52 AM

Standupnfall is a decent person

Did you put some oil in the filter before you put it on ?
Old 03-28-2008, 09:10 AM
www.TheXtremeShow.com

FrankieG is an unknown quantity at this point

Fram makes one of the best filters and the oil light is likely NOT because of the filter. SENSORS!!!! First! Stuff like that always happens when you let the bike sit!!!
Old 03-28-2008, 10:18 AM
I Love To Post!

Compton82 has much to be proud ofCompton82 has much to be proud ofCompton82 has much to be proud ofCompton82 has much to be proud ofCompton82 has much to be proud ofCompton82 has much to be proud ofCompton82 has much to be proud ofCompton82 has much to be proud of

There have been a handfull of guys that have a problem getting oil pressure after an oil change. They end up having an airpocket and cant get oil pressure. If you crack the filter slightly loose and start the bike up, after a couple seconds oil should seap around the filter. Tighten the filter up when you start to see oil come around the filter, and you should be good to go.

There might be a better/different way to do it, but thats the only way I have heard of. There was a write up on kawiforums about it a while back.

http://www.kawiforums.com/showthread...urp+oil+filter

There are a ton of threads on there about the oil pressure problem, but this is the one i was thinking of

Last edited by Compton82; 03-28-2008 at 10:23 AM.
Old 03-28-2008, 02:56 PM

Jaket is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Compton82
There have been a handfull of guys that have a problem getting oil pressure after an oil change. They end up having an airpocket and cant get oil pressure. If you crack the filter slightly loose and start the bike up, after a couple seconds oil should seap around the filter. Tighten the filter up when you start to see oil come around the filter, and you should be good to go.

There might be a better/different way to do it, but thats the only way I have heard of. There was a write up on kawiforums about it a while back.

http://www.kawiforums.com/showthread...urp+oil+filter

There are a ton of threads on there about the oil pressure problem, but this is the one i was thinking of
+1, loosen the filter untill oil comes out, then tighten it back on.
Old 03-28-2008, 04:41 PM

jcrojas is an unknown quantity at this point

+2 -- I learned this the hard way by blowing a motor (no gauges and didn't see the oil light until it was too late). For some reason, 636's are bad about this.

Loosen the filter, start the bike, once the oil comes pouring out, tighten the filter and you should be good to go.
Old 03-28-2008, 05:46 PM

well i did that and heard about doing that from kawiforums and i actually just finished doing that, when i cracked the seal a little came out then nothing and i kept unscrewing it and actually took it completely off and nothing was coming out. my bike ran like a champ when i put it away so i dont see why the oil pump would just go bad for no reason, is it possible i have that big of an airpocket in it?
Old 03-30-2008, 01:41 PM

strtfgterzx6r is an unknown quantity at this point

I had the same problem with the fram filter on my 04 636, I pulled it off and poured oil into the filter and screwed it back on. Worked great.
Old 04-01-2008, 06:49 AM

yeah it had a lot of air in it, i had to start it and just barely loosen the filter and within 30 seconds the light went out and it started pumping oil fine. thanx for insight from everyone