glowing headers

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-2007, 07:12 PM

bobbybrownnose4 is a decent person
glowing headers

i talked to a service dept and they said that some bikes headers run super hot at idle but cool down when riding...has anyone ever heard of that?
Old 12-15-2007, 07:30 PM
Yea...I got that!

Reckless01 is a decent person
Re: glowing headers

Idle I would venture to say no, Like if you were running @ race speeds or stuntin and seen them red I'd be more apt to believe that. At idle the air / fuel mixture isnt enough to cause that kind of heat. If you get glowing headers at idle you have a restriction somewhere causing the heat build up.
Old 12-15-2007, 07:35 PM

would you consider this amount of heat possibly being caused by oil consumption in the cylinder...i don't think there is a restriction though...the exhaust note sounds normal and the pulse from the muffler tail is strong
Old 12-15-2007, 07:47 PM
What happened to my blox?

stock05 is infamous around these parts

Originally Posted by bobbybrownnose4
would you consider this amount of heat possibly being caused by oil consumption in the cylinder...i don't think there is a restriction though...the exhaust note sounds normal and the pulse from the muffler tail is strong
red at idle= something isnt right, they cool off a little while riding because air is moving past them cooling them. are you looking at them in the day or at night
Old 12-15-2007, 08:31 PM

i've looked at them during day and night...and they smoke from being soooo hot...i lit a smoke off them the other day...the smoke isn't from oil or a leak or anything they are glowwing fo shooo
Old 12-15-2007, 09:00 PM

i checked my oil and it looks milky....i'm thinking a blown gasket that is causing the coolant to seep into oil circulation...what do you think? ...there is definitely some oil contamination...any other causes...i'm thinking this is what is causing the lean condition in the cylinder...right?
Old 12-15-2007, 09:45 PM
What happened to my blox?

stock05 is infamous around these parts

Originally Posted by bobbybrownnose4
i checked my oil and it looks milky....i'm thinking a blown gasket that is causing the coolant to seep into oil circulation...what do you think? ...there is definitely some oil contamination...any other causes...i'm thinking this is what is causing the lean condition in the cylinder...right?
emulsion is never a good sign, you need a new motor, but if i were you id say **** it change the oil and ride it till it grenades.
Old 12-15-2007, 10:42 PM

onewheelneil is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by stock05
emulsion is never a good sign, you need a new motor, but if i were you id say **** it change the oil and ride it till it grenades.

:YEAH:YEAH:YEAH
Old 12-16-2007, 12:02 AM

DirtyToes is a decent person

post a video! i wanna see that ****.
Old 12-27-2007, 08:28 PM
540 BOYZ SUMO STUNTER

E-Loc540 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Reckless01
Idle I would venture to say no, Like if you were running @ race speeds or stuntin and seen them red I'd be more apt to believe that. At idle the air / fuel mixture isnt enough to cause that kind of heat. If you get glowing headers at idle you have a restriction somewhere causing the heat build up.

glowing headers is a clear sign of a lean fuel mixture...fuel helps cool the motor so a lean fuel mixture has higher exhaust temps than a rich fuel mixture....yeah on cars a clogged cat can also cause this prob, but this is a bike. and like someone said before when your moving air is cooling the headers...its nothing to really be alarmed at...ive seen many bike headers glow so much that they will light up the surrounding area. As far as mily oil....it doesnt take much water to cause this, washing your bike and or/temperature differences can condensate the oil....check your coolant level......if it doent drop then your ok...also , sometimes if you run your bike long enough you will eventually loose the moisture causing the milkyness...i9n other words dont jump to conclusions. You can even change your oil & filter and the oil will still be milky, like I said it doesnt take much moisture....
Old 12-28-2007, 11:38 PM
Yea...I got that!

Originally Posted by E-Loc540
glowing headers is a clear sign of a lean fuel mixture...fuel helps cool the motor so a lean fuel mixture has higher exhaust temps than a rich fuel mixture....yeah on cars a clogged cat can also cause this prob, but this is a bike. and like someone said before when your moving air is cooling the headers...its nothing to really be alarmed at...ive seen many bike headers glow so much that they will light up the surrounding area. As far as mily oil....it doesnt take much water to cause this, washing your bike and or/temperature differences can condensate the oil....check your coolant level......if it doent drop then your ok...also , sometimes if you run your bike long enough you will eventually loose the moisture causing the milkyness...i9n other words dont jump to conclusions. You can even change your oil & filter and the oil will still be milky, like I said it doesnt take much moisture....
I'm with Stock05 on this one man, milky oil usually indicates a transfer internally. I have been riding / working on bikes for a minute bro and have yet to see a header glow red at idle. As for a lil moisture causing oil to get milky no...it don't...seriously! I mean unless you wash it without the oil cap on or some ****?! Like the little bit of condensation that you get from the engines vents and normal **** like that evaporates almost instantly when the engine gets to operating temp. And how exactly would you get water inside the engine when you wash your bike? I mean my engine oil don't milk up when I ride in the rain right? The same is to be said about washing it. I mean again unless you are washing it by dipping it in the ****** pool or some **** water shouldn't ever see the inside...period. Lean condition, sure its possible but I wouldn't say that you would get that kind of temp at idle. Either way change the oil and see if it milks up again. If it does you got a popped head gasket or some ****!

Last edited by Reckless01; 12-28-2007 at 11:41 PM.
Old 12-29-2007, 12:03 AM

blizanthimum is an unknown quantity at this point

All 06 & 07 GSXR's headers glow while riding. and its only about 2 to 3 inches down the header fom the head.
Old 12-29-2007, 12:43 AM
540 BOYZ SUMO STUNTER

E-Loc540 is an unknown quantity at this point

Im just thinking with logic, all I said is dont jump to conclusions, I couldnt sit here and tell the guy his motor is fried just because his oil is milky and his headers are glowing red...in the other post he said his headers only started glowing after the power commander was installed----bingo, .........and a head gasket doesnt just start leaking....the only thing that would really warp a head is the motor getting super hot (almost impossible unless he was low on coolant or did a 5 minute stand still burn-out).....anything is possible I guess but its way to early to say his motor is fried
Old 12-29-2007, 02:58 AM

DLISH is a splendid one to beholdDLISH is a splendid one to beholdDLISH is a splendid one to beholdDLISH is a splendid one to beholdDLISH is a splendid one to beholdDLISH is a splendid one to beholdDLISH is a splendid one to beholdDLISH is a splendid one to behold

Old 12-30-2007, 09:47 AM
Yea...I got that!

Originally Posted by E-Loc540
Im just thinking with logic, all I said is dont jump to conclusions, I couldnt sit here and tell the guy his motor is fried just because his oil is milky and his headers are glowing red...in the other post he said his headers only started glowing after the power commander was installed----bingo, .........and a head gasket doesnt just start leaking....the only thing that would really warp a head is the motor getting super hot (almost impossible unless he was low on coolant or did a 5 minute stand still burn-out).....anything is possible I guess but its way to early to say his motor is fried
Yea I agree now knowing about the PC thing. As I said in the other post I didn't know about the PC! Either way head gaskets can "just start leaking" if you run them hot and the pressure builds. Especially if you plug off the overflow hose. (which I've seen done alot!) either way no one said "fried" basically I said "you have water mixing internally so figure out where!" I wouldnt toss the motor but I'd figure out where the leak is! Either way good luck with it!