636 rear wheel swap

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2009, 01:02 AM

Greg Mcglynn is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: 636 rear wheel swap

ok guys I am back at. Went and looked at an 06 bike tonight to try to make some sense out of this shock free play issue. My buddys bike's shock is nice and tight. Mine moves side to side. Both of the lower linkage pieces look the same. I checked the micro fiche picture and it looks like I am not missing a seal or anything. So weird.

I put arrows showing the direction I can move the lower shock side to side. It clunks. Its not right
Old 02-10-2009, 01:03 AM

forgot the pic
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	crapp 002.jpg
Views:	45
Size:	61.2 KB
ID:	220529  
Old 02-10-2009, 04:24 AM
WWW.Sickinnovations.com

Suicidl is a splendid one to beholdSuicidl is a splendid one to beholdSuicidl is a splendid one to beholdSuicidl is a splendid one to beholdSuicidl is a splendid one to beholdSuicidl is a splendid one to beholdSuicidl is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Greg Mcglynn
forgot the pic
so you have the 05-06 swingarm, shock ect. what lower knuckle are you running? if you use the 03-04 lower knuckle you have to swap out the seal i think i can not remember so i just used the 05-06 lower knuckle. i need to know what you used
Old 02-10-2009, 04:25 AM
WWW.Sickinnovations.com

Suicidl is a splendid one to beholdSuicidl is a splendid one to beholdSuicidl is a splendid one to beholdSuicidl is a splendid one to beholdSuicidl is a splendid one to beholdSuicidl is a splendid one to beholdSuicidl is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by JohnnyP
The linkage and the needle bearing inside it are actually the same, its the collar and the 2 seals on either side that are different...You can use the 03/04 linkage if you swap those 3 parts out for 05+ ones...
there is the info
Old 02-10-2009, 11:13 AM

Thanks for staying tuned in here *****. I bought the shock and linkage off ebay.
They said the whole thing was from an 06. I compared the linkage to my 03/04 ones. They are different. The 03/04 has grease nipples and the 05/06 doesnt.

I also compared my linkage to my friends 06 636 last night. His bike is complete and has the rear wheel on it so it is hard to tell for sure but they look identical.

Except his shock is nice and tight and mine isn't.
Guess the next step will be remove my linkage and compare it to pics I can find on ebay or here. Maybe it has the wrong collar and seals in it(but why would it?)

I hear what you and johnny are saying about just using the o3/04 linkage and swap out the seals. I may do that if I have to but I want to use the 05/06 linkage.
Old 02-21-2009, 02:46 PM

Well my bike getting painted Monday so I had to get this problem solved this weekend. To make a long story short I totally stumped my self trying to swap out different seals to make that shock fit tighter. No luck. Then I went and brought my friends 06 636 over my house and took it apart to compare.

I compared my linkage to his and its the same exact part# and measured Identical.

S I am convinced I got all the right stuff. It has to be right. Then a friend of mine realized that the only reason why my shock has play in it is because the rear suspension is unloaded right now(on jack stands under frame.)

So we jacked up the 06 and bam problem was solved. His has the same side to side movement when we unloaded his rear suspension also. So this is totally normal and I am just super **** and retarded.

Thanks for everyone's help. End of thread
Old 02-21-2009, 03:15 PM
WWW.Sickinnovations.com

Originally Posted by Greg Mcglynn
Well my bike getting painted Monday so I had to get this problem solved this weekend. To make a long story short I totally stumped my self trying to swap out different seals to make that shock fit tighter. No luck. Then I went and brought my friends 06 636 over my house and took it apart to compare.

I compared my linkage to his and its the same exact part# and measured Identical.

S I am convinced I got all the right stuff. It has to be right. Then a friend of mine realized that the only reason why my shock has play in it is because the rear suspension is unloaded right now(on jack stands under frame.)

So we jacked up the 06 and bam problem was solved. His has the same side to side movement when we unloaded his rear suspension also. So this is totally normal and I am just super **** and retarded.

Thanks for everyone's help. End of thread
Good to hear that is was nothing. it started to drive me crazy
Old 02-23-2009, 09:33 PM

Noglory is an unknown quantity at this point

Quick question for ya guys. What are you guys using to take off the king nut on the right side of the bike? i cant find anything that will work and i dont wanna spend the money just to use the 80 dollar tool a couple of times. Is there a different way to take the swingarm bolt out? Any help is greatly appreciated!
Old 02-26-2009, 09:51 AM

JohnnyP is a decent person

Originally Posted by Noglory
Quick question for ya guys. What are you guys using to take off the king nut on the right side of the bike? i cant find anything that will work and i dont wanna spend the money just to use the 80 dollar tool a couple of times. Is there a different way to take the swingarm bolt out? Any help is greatly appreciated!
Usually you can loosen it buy tightening the pivot shaft more, if you dont have a tool...

I forgot my tool once and managed to loosen it by doing this....Or if all else fails use a drift and tap it loose...
Old 03-08-2009, 07:14 PM

Mr. Hooligan has much to be proud ofMr. Hooligan has much to be proud ofMr. Hooligan has much to be proud ofMr. Hooligan has much to be proud ofMr. Hooligan has much to be proud ofMr. Hooligan has much to be proud ofMr. Hooligan has much to be proud ofMr. Hooligan has much to be proud ofMr. Hooligan has much to be proud of

subscribed.... doing swingarm swap right now and want to be able to easily find the info later if needed...
Old 03-10-2009, 05:59 PM

Mr. Hooligan has much to be proud ofMr. Hooligan has much to be proud ofMr. Hooligan has much to be proud ofMr. Hooligan has much to be proud ofMr. Hooligan has much to be proud ofMr. Hooligan has much to be proud ofMr. Hooligan has much to be proud ofMr. Hooligan has much to be proud ofMr. Hooligan has much to be proud of

Ok now I is confused...

I have (all from a 05/06 636) swingarm, caliper bracket, wheel, spacers, axle. The only 03/04 part is the sprocket carrier and its said to be the same....

but if I try to use both 05+ spacers it don't fit together...but if I use a front spacer instead of a rear on the right side it fits good
Old 03-10-2009, 06:55 PM

Problem solved!!!

I had the rubber crush drive things in upside down, causing the carrier to not seat all the way...opps...lol
Old 03-10-2009, 07:38 PM

And its all getting powder coated kawi s.e. red with red 08 forks

Name:  100_0780.jpg
Views: 213
Size:  57.5 KB
Old 03-19-2009, 02:43 PM

scandelous81 is a decent person

What rear foot brake line are you guys running with this set up, my stainless steel 03-04 line is about 2 inches too short, so I just ordered a 05-06 rear brake line cause I heard that's what works and it is even shorter. Are you making ur own with universal lines and fittings.
Old 03-23-2009, 10:15 PM

mrwhopee is a decent person

bump..
Old 04-08-2009, 11:21 PM

Originally Posted by scandelous81
What rear foot brake line are you guys running with this set up, my stainless steel 03-04 line is about 2 inches too short, so I just ordered a 05-06 rear brake line cause I heard that's what works and it is even shorter. Are you making ur own with universal lines and fittings.
I ran into the same problem... What I found is that the front line that hooks the 2 calipers togather is just about perfict... its 23 inches long if you want to have one made...
Old 04-08-2009, 11:25 PM

I just got mine back into 1 peice and running after powdercoating all the parts....

Name:  100_0803.jpg
Views: 246
Size:  99.4 KB

And No the tank and plastics will not be staying red....
Old 04-15-2009, 08:40 AM

JohnnyP is a decent person

Originally Posted by r6-hooligan
I just got mine back into 1 peice and running after powdercoating all the parts....

And No the tank and plastics will not be staying red....
Wanna sell that red tank? Or trade + cash for a paintable one? No point in wasting that sic OEM red painted tank if you just going to paint it another color...
Old 04-15-2009, 08:07 PM

Originally Posted by JohnnyP
Wanna sell that red tank? Or trade + cash for a paintable one? No point in wasting that sic OEM red painted tank if you just going to paint it another color...
It has a small dent in the left side No rash so it may be able to be fixed without re-painting

Name:  100_0710.jpg
Views: 190
Size:  63.3 KB

p.m. me if you still want it...We can work out some type of trade