636 rear wheel swap

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2009, 06:05 PM

Greg Mcglynn is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: 636 rear wheel swap

yes. Now I see which way it fits. Going back to garage to try again ****** better fit. lol
Old 01-13-2009, 06:06 PM
WWW.Sickinnovations.com

Suicidl is a splendid one to beholdSuicidl is a splendid one to beholdSuicidl is a splendid one to beholdSuicidl is a splendid one to beholdSuicidl is a splendid one to beholdSuicidl is a splendid one to beholdSuicidl is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Greg Mcglynn
yes. Now I see which way it fits. Going back to garage to try again ****** better fit. lol
good luck
Old 01-13-2009, 06:21 PM

No luck getting mad now.

Its hitting the frame. You can see where the powder rubbed off when I tried to send it home with hammer. You can also see the contact point on the clamp.

I circled the spot where it hits frame. I also circled in another pic the location of the other tab on frame that is below the upper tab(where powder is rubbed off. Its an 04 636R Frame nothing weird about it. Prolly gonna have to pull the swing off to see whats going on. I have like every tool I will ever need except a solid beam to hang the subframe from. And I can't roll this thing anywhere because my 06 wheels are stripped down for paint.

This last pic here is the only way the hole lines up but its not right its crooked.
Old 01-13-2009, 06:25 PM

Did you guys frames have those tabs on the inside like mine?

I just stripped this whole bike to nothing and built it again but can't figure this one little issue out I feel like a retard.
I'm just gonna wait till I get my 06 shock and drop the swing out.
Old 01-13-2009, 06:55 PM

babyJOKER is an unknown quantity at this point

Did you guys frames have those tabs on the inside like mine?

I just stripped this whole bike to nothing and built it again but can't figure this one little issue out I feel like a retard.
I'm just gonna wait till I get my 06 shock and drop the swing out.
mine got that liitle tap on the frame. this is how mine looked.

Old 01-13-2009, 07:14 PM

your in the same boat as me. But not as crooked as mine

*****'s **** looks straight to me
Old 01-13-2009, 07:33 PM

this is the my 2nd 636 that i did this mod to. it might look crooked cuz my bike is on the stand front & rear. heres the pic of the 1st one.

Old 01-13-2009, 07:36 PM

This last pic here is the only way the hole lines up but its not right its crooked.

and why do u want to line up with that hole? that hole is for ur rearset.
Old 01-13-2009, 08:27 PM

In your most recent set up pics the first one it looks nice and straight.
Second pic is of the right side doesn't show me anything?

Yes I know the two holes are for the rearset.
I mean the 6millemeter hole in swingarm that the 6mm bolt goes into for the clamp not the rearset hole in frame
Old 01-14-2009, 05:27 AM
WWW.Sickinnovations.com

Suicidl is a splendid one to beholdSuicidl is a splendid one to beholdSuicidl is a splendid one to beholdSuicidl is a splendid one to beholdSuicidl is a splendid one to beholdSuicidl is a splendid one to beholdSuicidl is a splendid one to behold

In your most recent set up pics the first one it looks nice and straight.
Second pic is of the right side doesn't show me anything?

Yes I know the two holes are for the rearset.
I mean the 6millemeter hole in swingarm that the 6mm bolt goes into for the clamp not the rearset hole in frame
i went and looked at mine and yes it has that tab. the piece goes in between the tab and the rubber. maybe the rubber chain guide is not seated correct. is that the rubber off the 03-04 swingarm or the 05-06 maybe they are different
Old 01-14-2009, 11:33 PM

nunya95 is a decent person

http://www.hoheydesigns.com/accessories
Old 01-15-2009, 04:10 AM
WWW.Sickinnovations.com

Originally Posted by nunya95
you must have no clue as to what we are talking about
Old 01-15-2009, 04:52 AM

u might have to move the swingarm up and down. so put a jack underneath the oil pan, remove the rear stand and try it. it might work.
Old 01-15-2009, 08:29 AM

JohnnyP is a decent person

That part should go straight across, all it does is hold the rubber chain guide and a washer that should be there in place....So it should run horizontal, not on an angle like you have it...
Old 01-15-2009, 02:10 PM

This sounds right to me guys thanks. I just got my new 06 shock yesterday in the mail. Got this Ims show thing in NYC all weekend. Next week I will get this all together when I can bring the bike to a place where I can can it from a beam to get the swing arm loose.

I think your right about moving it up and down that should let the clamp slide in.
I will post back up mid next week.
Old 01-20-2009, 11:38 AM

Originally Posted by DoubleSustanon
u might have to move the swingarm up and down. so put a jack underneath the oil pan, remove the rear stand and try it. it might work.
You were right sir. I got it to work last night when I changed the shock. winded up pulling off the hole swing arm. The big flat washer on the left was not properly seated in the ridge of the chain guide. Once I got that right I had to move the swing arm to a certain angle and the metal clamp slide right in.

I got a new issue now. At the bottom of the shock where it connects to the mount by one bolt(the shock is shaped like the letter U and that U slides over the mount then that one bolt holds it tight. The shock has a lot of free play back and forth. I can grab the bottom of the shock and move it back and forth on the sleeve about 1/8th inch in both direction.

My 03/04 shock fits much tighter.
I double checked to make sure I have the 05/06 linkage and it s the right.

Is this normal on the 05/06 to be able to move the shock left to right 1/8 inch. It makes a little clunk when I do it so I am wondering if this is not right and will clank when I start riding it over bumps.

I will post pics if you guys don't understand what I am talking about.

Thanks for all the help everyone.
Old 01-20-2009, 02:01 PM
WWW.Sickinnovations.com

You were right sir. I got it to work last night when I changed the shock. winded up pulling off the hole swing arm. The big flat washer on the left was not properly seated in the ridge of the chain guide. Once I got that right I had to move the swing arm to a certain angle and the metal clamp slide right in.

I got a new issue now. At the bottom of the shock where it connects to the mount by one bolt(the shock is shaped like the letter U and that U slides over the mount then that one bolt holds it tight. The shock has a lot of free play back and forth. I can grab the bottom of the shock and move it back and forth on the sleeve about 1/8th inch in both direction.

My 03/04 shock fits much tighter.
I double checked to make sure I have the 05/06 linkage and it s the right.

Is this normal on the 05/06 to be able to move the shock left to right 1/8 inch. It makes a little clunk when I do it so I am wondering if this is not right and will clank when I start riding it over bumps.

I will post pics if you guys don't understand what I am talking about.

Thanks for all the help everyone.
get a pic where you are talking about because the lower linkage is diff for the 05-06 because the bottom of the shock is wider.
Old 01-20-2009, 02:03 PM

Originally Posted by Suicidl
get a pic where you are talking about because the lower linkage is diff for the 05-06 because the bottom of the shock is wider.
The linkage and the needle bearing inside it are actually the same, its the collar and the 2 seals on either side that are different...You can use the 03/04 linkage if you swap those 3 parts out for 05+ ones...
Old 01-20-2009, 02:14 PM
WWW.Sickinnovations.com

Originally Posted by JohnnyP
The linkage and the needle bearing inside it are actually the same, its the collar and the 2 seals on either side that are different...You can use the 03/04 linkage if you swap those 3 parts out for 05+ ones...
that is true but i just switched the whole linkage. it has been a while since i did mine but i have never had any of these problems and have done 4 of the swaps
Old 01-20-2009, 02:37 PM

Originally Posted by Suicidl
that is true but i just switched the whole linkage. it has been a while since i did mine but i have never had any of these problems and have done 4 of the swaps
Yeah I never got a 05 one with my shock or swingarm, so I just orderd those 3 parts and swapped them out...Was cheaper then buying and paying to ship a 05+ linkage from Ebay...Either way its the same ****...

Quick Reply: 636 rear wheel swap