here ya go...APE-Suz-Kaw-Yam-Hon-manual-cam-chain-tensioner

I change all mine out on all my bikes.

ps; don't forget the gasket
thx for the link

i sent him a message like 2 or 3 days ago, and he still hasn't responded
Old 11-25-2007, 01:48 PM

blinkybill04 is a decent person
Re: cam chain tensioner

why the hell does the factory have to make a cheap *** tensioner... i need one for my 636 AND f4i.... okay i'm done whining. How often do you have to go back and readjust the tensioner? i've heard on the 636's you can adjust the automatic one a little bit, but this sounds more like the "right" way to fix the prob.
Old 11-25-2007, 04:47 PM
also known as OMR

old man roger User spends way too much time asking for repold man roger User spends way too much time asking for repold man roger User spends way too much time asking for repold man roger User spends way too much time asking for repold man roger User spends way too much time asking for repold man roger User spends way too much time asking for repold man roger User spends way too much time asking for repold man roger User spends way too much time asking for repold man roger User spends way too much time asking for repold man roger User spends way too much time asking for repold man roger User spends way too much time asking for rep

i have only adjusted mine once in two years and i ride alot
Old 11-25-2007, 09:14 PM

Tiretrauma is an unknown quantity at this point

Ive been wondering if I should go with the manual tensioner or not due to how much of a pain it is to get my big *** hands in there. Thanks as always OMR!! Buy the way, whats up with a subframe cage for the f4i?? You need a website! OMR.com!
Old 11-28-2007, 05:04 AM

DirtyToes is a decent person

Originally Posted by old man roger
yep buy an ape adjustable cam chain tensioner for like 40 bucks and install it your self.......

take the old one off and install the new one with the adjustable bolt backed all the way out then when you have it installed turn the adjustable bolt in by hand till you feel a little bit of tension [just a little] then warm up the bike to running tempeture and back the adjuster out til the bike makes a clicking noise then tighten the adjustable bolt till the clicking noise stops and go 1/4 to 1/2 turn more and lock it down be sure to hold the adjustable bolt in place while tightening the lock nut.......

i like to cut a slot in the top of the adjustable bolt so i can use a screw driver to adjust it ,it's easier then using a wrench because you will also have to use a wrench on the lock nut and it also works as a referance point to make sure it doesn't move when tightening the lock nut
okay, just got it:YEAHplannin on doin the install tomorrow morning.

so i juss wanna be 100% sure about wat i have to do be4 i go into it.

here we go...

1: back the bolt all the way out
2: take the old cam out and install the new one
3: TIGHTEN the bolt until you feel a little tension
4: turn on the bike and let it warm up
5: LOOSEN(back out) the bolt until you hear a clicking noise
6: TIGHTEN the bolt until the clicking noise stops
7: tighten 1/4 to 1/2 turn
8: hold the bolt and tighten the nut

does that sound right?

p.s. my idle is at 2k-ish, that's not gonna affect anything when i'm adjusting it, is it?
Old 11-28-2007, 10:31 AM
also known as OMR

old man roger User spends way too much time asking for repold man roger User spends way too much time asking for repold man roger User spends way too much time asking for repold man roger User spends way too much time asking for repold man roger User spends way too much time asking for repold man roger User spends way too much time asking for repold man roger User spends way too much time asking for repold man roger User spends way too much time asking for repold man roger User spends way too much time asking for repold man roger User spends way too much time asking for repold man roger User spends way too much time asking for rep

Originally Posted by Tiretrauma
Ive been wondering if I should go with the manual tensioner or not due to how much of a pain it is to get my big *** hands in there. Thanks as always OMR!! Buy the way, whats up with a subframe cage for the f4i?? You need a website! OMR.com!
i was thinking about starting a web site but im not sure why i should bother i don't see the advantage

Originally Posted by DirtyToes
okay, just got it:YEAHplannin on doin the install tomorrow morning.

so i juss wanna be 100% sure about wat i have to do be4 i go into it.

here we go...

1: back the bolt all the way out
2: take the old cam out and install the new one
3: TIGHTEN the bolt until you feel a little tension
4: turn on the bike and let it warm up
5: LOOSEN(back out) the bolt until you hear a clicking noise
6: TIGHTEN the bolt until the clicking noise stops
7: tighten 1/4 to 1/2 turn
8: hold the bolt and tighten the nut

does that sound right?

p.s. my idle is at 2k-ish, that's not gonna affect anything when i'm adjusting it, is it?
if you could set your idle to 1000 i think you should ,and i would cut a slot on the head of the adjuster so you can adjust it with a big screw driver and it also gives you a referance point so you can make sure your not over ajusting it while you tighten the lock nut.....

you can make the slot with a die grinder or a band saw or a hack saw ,it makes the whole job alot easier ...

and if when your warming up the bike there is alot of noise coming from the tensioner you can snug it up a little
Old 11-28-2007, 11:10 AM
DSC

DSC is an unknown quantity at this point

i can do it only taking the tank off..................small power :YEAH
Old 11-28-2007, 11:13 AM
DSC

DSC is an unknown quantity at this point

the only thing i hated was adjusting it. cause i was paranoid that i didn't do it right. but i could turn it while reving the motor so i just turned and reved till it sounded normal. mines fine so i guess i did it right
Old 11-28-2007, 12:20 PM
NealFoReal

OnEWhEeLNEAL User spends way too much time asking for repOnEWhEeLNEAL User spends way too much time asking for repOnEWhEeLNEAL User spends way too much time asking for repOnEWhEeLNEAL User spends way too much time asking for repOnEWhEeLNEAL User spends way too much time asking for repOnEWhEeLNEAL User spends way too much time asking for repOnEWhEeLNEAL User spends way too much time asking for repOnEWhEeLNEAL User spends way too much time asking for repOnEWhEeLNEAL User spends way too much time asking for repOnEWhEeLNEAL User spends way too much time asking for repOnEWhEeLNEAL User spends way too much time asking for rep

Yo Dirty - here's a write up with pictures on how to swap it out. I'm gonna do mine too. I got 13k miles.

http://cbrworld.net/forums/thread/85183.aspx

http://www.bayarearidersforum.com/fo...threadid=81780
Old 11-28-2007, 12:23 PM
NealFoReal

OnEWhEeLNEAL User spends way too much time asking for repOnEWhEeLNEAL User spends way too much time asking for repOnEWhEeLNEAL User spends way too much time asking for repOnEWhEeLNEAL User spends way too much time asking for repOnEWhEeLNEAL User spends way too much time asking for repOnEWhEeLNEAL User spends way too much time asking for repOnEWhEeLNEAL User spends way too much time asking for repOnEWhEeLNEAL User spends way too much time asking for repOnEWhEeLNEAL User spends way too much time asking for repOnEWhEeLNEAL User spends way too much time asking for repOnEWhEeLNEAL User spends way too much time asking for rep

I just realized that this is different than the directions OMR posted up. This guy doesnt take off the airbox.
Old 11-28-2007, 12:27 PM
also known as OMR

Originally Posted by OnEWhEeLNEAL
Yo Dirty - here's a write up with pictures on how to swap it out. I'm gonna do mine too. I got 13k miles.

http://cbrworld.net/forums/thread/85183.aspx

http://www.bayarearidersforum.com/fo...threadid=81780
there is no need to get the motor at top dead center ....
Old 11-28-2007, 12:31 PM
also known as OMR

I just realized that this is different than the directions OMR posted up. This guy doesnt take off the airbox.
i just like to have as much room and be able to see so any thing that gets in my way i take it off ...
Old 11-28-2007, 12:31 PM
NealFoReal

/\ What do you mean? Remember me? I'm a little slow with all this mechanical ****. lol but not really.
Old 11-28-2007, 12:32 PM
NealFoReal

Originally Posted by old man roger
i just like to have as much room and be able to see so any thing that gets in my way i take it off ...
Ok I understand that but what do you mean by there is no need to get the motor at top dead center ....
Old 11-28-2007, 12:35 PM
also known as OMR

/\ What do you mean? Remember me? I'm a little slow with all this mechanical ****. lol but not really.
in the link you posted the guy said some thing about finding tdc but you don't need to do that for this you would only need to do that if you took the timing chain off......
Old 11-28-2007, 12:57 PM
NealFoReal

Okay. I think I understand. Something like this which should be a 30 or 60 minute job will take me all day to do. But I'll give it a shot one of these days. Thanks.
Old 11-28-2007, 01:00 PM
Soup Mafia

Ethiopian is a splendid one to beholdEthiopian is a splendid one to beholdEthiopian is a splendid one to beholdEthiopian is a splendid one to beholdEthiopian is a splendid one to beholdEthiopian is a splendid one to beholdEthiopian is a splendid one to behold

Okay. I think I understand. Something like this which should be a 30 or 60 minute job will take me all day to do. But I'll give it a shot one of these days. Thanks.

me too thats why i wont do it i even have the part. but im paraniod i will do it wrong.
Old 11-28-2007, 01:10 PM
also known as OMR

it's very simple you just adjust it so the clackity clack noise goes away..lol
Old 11-28-2007, 01:17 PM
NealFoReal

Sucks not knowing your way around your bike. I am learning though - slowly but I am learning. What I do a lot of times though is give it to my boy to do it. Since he's my boy he's dirt cheap but I dont learn like that. If I had 2 stunt bikes I'd be more willing to try stuff on my own. I dont want to be out for days at a time with a busted bike coz I wanted to learn. Sucks. We'll get there though - sssslllloooowwwllllyyy.

Originally Posted by Steve-
me too thats why i wont do it i even have the part. but im paraniod i will do it wrong.

Quick Reply: cam chain tensioner