Skitching off side

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-2003, 12:11 AM

SuperStaR6 is an unknown quantity at this point
Question Skitching off side

well, this is my first post here (although ive been following the board for a couple months), hopefully you guys can help me out:

i ride a '01 R6 and i recently decided to try and learn how to skitch off the side...i read a couple posts on this and ive seen a bunch of local guys do it....seemed easy enough so ive tried it a few times. learned how to get both feet over without wobbling, sat on the seat sideways, dropped left foot down then right (off the left side), trying to keep weight on the tank with my right arm...now im trying this at low speed, like 30mph and here are the problems im encountering:

1) getting both feet down (feels awkward, like im too low or something), im only 6'2" but i feel like a giant doing this for some reason.....not sure if i should be bending my knees to compensate for the height or if i should try to extend my legs more outward away from the bike or what...

2) the times i have gotten my feet down, i cant get back up...(yeah, i look like a real man slowing down to a stop and getting back on, heh)...i tried to hop back up on the seat, but my foot catches the ground when i apply pressure and the bike wants to leave me behind...

3) this may be a dumb question, but is this any easier the faster you ride? (i would assume its more stable, but i dont wanna let my bike go at say, 60...well, not yet at least

thanks! Jesse
Old 06-06-2003, 12:52 AM

casual is an unknown quantity at this point
one correction that may help you for when you have both feet down and need to get back up use your weight leaning up against the seat and tank so basically using yyour arms u raise yourself up a bit to bounce back on rather then applying pressure to the ground unless if you got skid plates under your shoes.
i dont know if you get what i'm saying but if you end up needing more help feel free to reply again.

casual
Old 06-06-2003, 10:33 AM
I Enjoy Posting At StuntLife!

skitchR6 is an unknown quantity at this point
When you are trying to get back on, lean your weight onto the tank, depending on what side you a skitching on, take that same leg and cross it over the other onto the peg... You can use your other foot to stabilize yourself to an extent... anyways that's how I get back on most of the time...
Old 06-06-2003, 11:09 PM

SkiTchN is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: Skitching off side

Originally posted by SuperStaR6
well, this is my first post here (although ive been following the board for a couple months), hopefully you guys can help me out:

i ride a '01 R6 and i recently decided to try and learn how to skitch off the side...i read a couple posts on this and ive seen a bunch of local guys do it....seemed easy enough so ive tried it a few times. learned how to get both feet over without wobbling, sat on the seat sideways, dropped left foot down then right (off the left side), trying to keep weight on the tank with my right arm...now im trying this at low speed, like 30mph and here are the problems im encountering:

1) getting both feet down (feels awkward, like im too low or something), im only 6'2" but i feel like a giant doing this for some reason.....not sure if i should be bending my knees to compensate for the height or if i should try to extend my legs more outward away from the bike or what...

2) the times i have gotten my feet down, i cant get back up...(yeah, i look like a real man slowing down to a stop and getting back on, heh)...i tried to hop back up on the seat, but my foot catches the ground when i apply pressure and the bike wants to leave me behind...

3) this may be a dumb question, but is this any easier the faster you ride? (i would assume its more stable, but i dont wanna let my bike go at say, 60...well, not yet at least

thanks! Jesse
FIRST THING_????>> WHEN IT COMES TO SAFETY THERE IS NO SUCH THING AS A STUPID QUESTION!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! ok NOW!

Ok this is my area,,,,,, I have done this trick in everyform , also almost crashing into a newer oldsmobile bravada head on @90 mph,,,,,,,, lol long story lets just say my sneaks wore thru and i ended up doing a superman,(not by choice),BUT nevertheless, doing it @ high speeds is ok when u get used to it @ lower speeds,also makew sure u have strong abs if u dont,u will findout fast!
Next getting on and off-stand on ;ets say left peg-put left foot on road,then lean on tank with right elbow,and place right foot next to left,
going up!!!!!_! lean on right elbow,then place right foot on peg then side saddle seat , and bring left foot up to peg then figure out how to get foot over ur bike to sit back down u r tall so practice makes it for u,I am 5'5" easy for me,I'm like a flea on these TOYZ!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Also since u r 6-2 i would suggest getting comfortable doing this a few times with the bike on the kickstand !!!!!!!!! HONESTLY<<<<<<<<<<<<< u dont wanna get hurt out there..............
Further more im rambling but , this trick is where i got my name from I have skitched for 5 miles i slept the whle next day and DAMMIT my abs hurt,but i was fdoing that trick everyday and no one else where i lived was brave enough . before i knew what it was i was doing it........ I just did it by well im not too sane lol i try **** cause i get bored!!!!!!!!!!!!!! The picture is my old bike that picture is in New York on the way to Lake George http://www.suzukicycles.com/sr_01/su.../bp_gsx750.htm
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	lvshak baby.jpg
Views:	265
Size:	18.0 KB
ID:	20855  
Old 06-07-2003, 12:47 PM

SuperStaR6 is an unknown quantity at this point
thanks for the help guys, i should have this down in a couple of days...just gotta practice up! if i run into any more snags ill let ya know.
Old 06-10-2003, 07:56 PM
Regular StuntLifer

Swurve is an unknown quantity at this point
Can't help but wonder, do you do this in regular sneaks or do you screw some metal or plastic cutting board to the bottom? Do your feet get hot? DO your shoes melt? I know these are total amature questions but I'd like to know.
Old 06-10-2003, 10:31 PM

ZeroGravity is an unknown quantity at this point
I do it in hiking boots right now (down to 30% tred left), and no I dont have skitch plates...
your feet wont get hot or melt... you just loose alot of tred...
I can go thru a brand new pair shoes in a weekend.

anyone know where to get plates from? and how much they are?

~chris
Old 06-11-2003, 11:56 AM
Regular StuntLifer

H00KED is an unknown quantity at this point
I'd just make my own if they aren't cheap.

I cracked myself up the other day cause I started thinking it'd be tight to have a pair of those kids shoes that have the wheels on bottom that come out....
Old 06-11-2003, 12:16 PM

casual is an unknown quantity at this point
I cracked myself up the other day cause I started thinking it'd be tight to have a pair of those kids shoes that have the wheels on bottom that come out....

good one!!!! u putting your crazy ideas in my head and ii'm thinking i'm crazy too i would get such a kick out of seeing the faces when i do this i think i just might lol payless right is where to get em..?

casual
Old 06-11-2003, 07:47 PM
I Enjoy Posting At StuntLife!

Rich-NY is an unknown quantity at this point
what do you guys consider a nice speed for skitchin of the side. I'm up to about 70mph.

I get off around 45-50 mph, then bring it up a little...depending on road and traffic conditions.
Old 07-14-2003, 07:55 PM

kajida is an unknown quantity at this point
Hey When your skitching off the back, how do yo do it? I usually wear my Nike running shoes and there fine for the side as long as i keep my weight off the feet. But when you go off the back, all your weight is on your feet, and i find that, if i put weight on them, they catch and pull you back. I'm kinda afried of getting dragged Is there a particular type of shoe you recommend? are running shoes bad for skitching? Do you keep your weight on the heels, toes? or the whole foot. Thanks
Old 07-25-2003, 04:05 AM

tdragon is an unknown quantity at this point
skitching off "wrong side"
any tips for learning to skitch of the wrong side of the bike?
i have been riding side saddle around a litttle bit until i can get the feel for the bike that way. any other tips or just ***** up and step off?
Old 07-25-2003, 08:42 AM

Diviniti is an unknown quantity at this point
Originally posted by kajida
Hey When your skitching off the back, how do yo do it? I usually wear my Nike running shoes and there fine for the side as long as i keep my weight off the feet. But when you go off the back, all your weight is on your feet, and i find that, if i put weight on them, they catch and pull you back. I'm kinda afried of getting dragged Is there a particular type of shoe you recommend? are running shoes bad for skitching? Do you keep your weight on the heels, toes? or the whole foot. Thanks
when skitching i wear NSS shoes. kinda like DC or Vans or something. just hold up better. flat sole.

um, skitching on the back side, i ride on my heels. and lean back a little.. kinda like water skiing.
Old 07-27-2003, 07:01 PM
It Ain't Easy Bein Cheesy

Dano is an unknown quantity at this point
i usually try to stay flat footed, but only the toes of my shoes wear, and i only tried skitching off the back for one day because i got kicked off the side of the bike and that was no fun, im gonna try it again soon one day, but i've just been busy with other tricks
Old 07-28-2003, 12:24 PM
JUST CLOWNING!

120clown is an unknown quantity at this point
when you are skitchen off the back how do you get back on the bike?? any tips/tricks? please let me know
thanks in advance,
shawn
Attached Images