Fork Oil Wt?

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-2007, 04:14 PM

CHADf is an unknown quantity at this point
Fork Oil Wt?

i've used 7,10,15,and20 wt oil in my forks(05 600gsx-r) 20 wt felt the best(never redone springs). what i was wondering is there any reason to go above 20wt fork oil? i've talked to a few pep's about 25 or 30 wt and they swear by it. they say if your not redoing your springs, then 30 wt is what you wanna use. i've redone fork seals countless times on many diffrent bikes and 20wt. has always been more than enough. no stores stock 30 wt around my area.

?- is it really worth ordering 30wt?(35wt+?)

*also one more quick ?- How can i make the forks not travel so much(bottom out) without changeing springs, i've heard that i can add more fork oil, But IDK. these 1000 forks i put on bottoms out more than my 600 forks ever did(seems), that's why i ask this ?.

Last edited by CHADf; 10-30-2007 at 04:17 PM.
Old 10-30-2007, 04:36 PM
also known as OMR

old man roger User spends way too much time asking for repold man roger User spends way too much time asking for repold man roger User spends way too much time asking for repold man roger User spends way too much time asking for repold man roger User spends way too much time asking for repold man roger User spends way too much time asking for repold man roger User spends way too much time asking for repold man roger User spends way too much time asking for repold man roger User spends way too much time asking for repold man roger User spends way too much time asking for repold man roger User spends way too much time asking for rep
Re: Fork Oil Wt?

20wt and setting your preload and compression settings to hard should get you what your looking for and if you add a little extra fluid it will stiffen up your forks because it reduces the amount of air in your forks and air compresses but oil doesn't
Old 10-30-2007, 04:47 PM

this 1000 front end is set to hard on both comp and rebound. still bottoms out but has stock fluid. seals blew out on ROSN. gonna try new set-up on these 1000 forks, just trying to find the cheapest option.

*does setting the settings on the forks(compression/rebound) to hard make the seals blow out easier?
Old 10-30-2007, 04:53 PM
Scrapes Elbow

Wheeliest is a name known to allWheeliest is a name known to allWheeliest is a name known to allWheeliest is a name known to allWheeliest is a name known to allWheeliest is a name known to all

u need to get some non KYB junk... best bet is to have those bitches re-valve'd with some 15 weight motul fluid... or buy some real forks off a 05/06 showa built.
Old 10-30-2007, 04:57 PM
also known as OMR

old man roger User spends way too much time asking for repold man roger User spends way too much time asking for repold man roger User spends way too much time asking for repold man roger User spends way too much time asking for repold man roger User spends way too much time asking for repold man roger User spends way too much time asking for repold man roger User spends way too much time asking for repold man roger User spends way too much time asking for repold man roger User spends way too much time asking for repold man roger User spends way too much time asking for repold man roger User spends way too much time asking for rep

i use 10 wt on my 05 06 636 forks and i love it .....

20 is too much in my oppinion 15 would be the max i would use
Old 10-30-2007, 04:58 PM
also known as OMR

i think with 15 you could adjust your setting closer the soft side and still get a nice firm feel
Old 10-30-2007, 05:01 PM

Originally Posted by Wheeliest
u need to get some non KYB junk... best bet is to have those bitches re-valve'd with some 15 weight motul fluid... or buy some real forks off a 05/06 showa built.
gotta work w/ what i got(note, cheapest fix above)

can i re-valve them myself, or do they have to be machine or some ****? is the motul fork fluid better than the suzuki fork oil(any stock brand)? i know the brake fluid is.
Old 10-30-2007, 05:04 PM

Originally Posted by old man roger
i think with 15 you could adjust your setting closer the soft side and still get a nice firm feel
i did notice the 1000 front end felt stiffer with stock fork oil, seems like they bottom out though. what do u think about 20 wt, overkill? i weigh 200lbs. after drinking. LOL
Old 10-30-2007, 05:12 PM
Scrapes Elbow

Wheeliest is a name known to allWheeliest is a name known to allWheeliest is a name known to allWheeliest is a name known to allWheeliest is a name known to allWheeliest is a name known to all

i never revalved forks before but i know u need a special press...
Old 10-30-2007, 05:15 PM
also known as OMR

ya i think 20 wt would be over kill and i don't think revalving is needed if the 15 wt feels to soft then i would just add a little more but i doubt you will need to
Old 10-31-2007, 09:52 AM

thanks for the info guys!!!!!

i'll let ya'll know what the out come is.....................................
Old 10-31-2007, 01:12 PM

thehate. will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by CHADf

*also one more quick ?- How can i make the forks not travel so much(bottom out) without changeing springs, i've heard that i can add more fork oil, But IDK. these 1000 forks i put on bottoms out more than my 600 forks ever did(seems), that's why i ask this ?.
you can make the forks stiffer by adding more oil! the air in top of the forks is what make them more or less stiff the oil will not compress! the air will!..so more air and the forks get softer less air they get stiffer! but dont go up by much!! if if calls for 20mm of air {stock} rase your oil level by 5mm, if you over do it the forks will hydro lock and not work!
Old 10-31-2007, 01:19 PM

Originally Posted by thehate.
you can make the forks stiffer by adding more oil! the air in top of the forks is what make them more or less stiff the oil will not compress! the air will!..so more air and the forks get softer less air they get stiffer! but dont go up by much!! if if calls for 20mm of air {stock} rase your oil level by 5mm, if you over do it the forks will hydro lock and not work!
good call.:YEAH
ty for info.

keep it comeing...................
Old 11-01-2007, 12:11 AM

polish projecti is a decent person

So you would want to add more oil to stop your forks from bottoming out and ultimatly save oil seals
Old 11-01-2007, 12:47 AM

thehate. will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by polish projecti
So you would want to add more oil to stop your forks from bottoming out and ultimatly save oil seals
yes and no! if you add oil there is less air to compress and the PSI in the shock oil goes up!{{say when you come down hard}} so you could blow your seals buy too much presser in the shock!
Old 11-01-2007, 01:46 AM

polish projecti is a decent person

So you would want less oil, with a higher wt
Old 11-01-2007, 01:56 AM
also known as OMR

no ..

there is a certain amount of oil that you put in your fork [factory specs] but if they are a little soft and you can't adjust it out with your preload and compresion setting then you could add a little more oil and that will stiffen up your forks by changing the size of the air chamber in your fork because the smaller the air chamber the less air there is to compress ,so you have almost the same effect as changing your spring rate