Clutch Replacement How To?

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-2007, 08:51 PM

BayF4i is a decent person
Clutch Replacement How To?

I'm lookin to replace the clutch on my F4i, anyone have any tips or pics on how to? it's a 2002 any help would be great. Thanks
Old 10-20-2007, 09:22 PM

cjstunts is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: Clutch Replacement How To?

its real easy on the f4i, take the right(throttle) side fairing off, that gives you access to the clutch cover.First, drain the oil. then you gotta take the clutch cable off. take the 8mm bolt that holds the cable bracket to the cover, and then finagle the end of the cablu out of the pull rod. right in that area, there is a wire coming out of the cover, follow that and find the connector, i believe its red. unplug that. Then remove all the 8mm bolts around the cover, 1 is hidden by the rad hose, just push the hose up and you will see it. Here comes the fun part, getting the cover off. you might have to "persuade" it prying it off.Once it's off, you will see 5 10mm bolts with washers holding springs in. You need to remove these and that cover. the center rod and bearing will also come out. Here's another fun part, you need 2 picks. just pull the discs out. The bottom disc has a different size fiber disc, and there is a spring washer in there as well. MAKE SURE YOU MARK WHICH SIDE FACES OUT. Take the fibers that have been soaking in oil OVERNIGHT, and put them in, in the reverse they came out. The 1 different one will go first, then a steel, and so on. The top fiber disc goes into different grooves, so take note before you take it all apart. Just reinstall everything in the reverse order. DONOT OVERTIGHTEN THE 5 10MM BOLTS, THEY ARE VERY EASY TO BREAK, I'M PRETTY SURE THE TORQUE IS LIKE 3-5 FT. LBS CHECK A MANUAL!!!!!!!. change oil filter, and fill up oil. Ride normally for 10min, stop and let the bike cool off, ride for 10min or so normally, stop and let it cool off, make sure no extreme acceleration or wheelies or anything... Good uck, its pretty easy.