brake fade?

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-2007, 11:13 AM
BIKESTYLES

50mob is an unknown quantity at this point
brake fade?

So I've had my 04 636 for a couple months and have been r braking the **** out of it with no problems.(it had half pads when I got it) I put new pads on and the first time out after riding for about 10 mins I went to hit the pedal and there was nothing--no pressure. I let it sit for 10 mins and pump it up and the brake was back. It continues to do this...I assume it's just getting to hot and fading but I don't know...anyone else experience this...what can I do??? thanks in advance
Old 10-18-2007, 01:41 PM
NealFoReal

OnEWhEeLNEAL User spends way too much time asking for repOnEWhEeLNEAL User spends way too much time asking for repOnEWhEeLNEAL User spends way too much time asking for repOnEWhEeLNEAL User spends way too much time asking for repOnEWhEeLNEAL User spends way too much time asking for repOnEWhEeLNEAL User spends way too much time asking for repOnEWhEeLNEAL User spends way too much time asking for repOnEWhEeLNEAL User spends way too much time asking for repOnEWhEeLNEAL User spends way too much time asking for repOnEWhEeLNEAL User spends way too much time asking for repOnEWhEeLNEAL User spends way too much time asking for rep
Re: brake fade?

I dont know personally about the 636 but you should change your brake fluid if you havent already done it to Motul RBF 600 - has a higher boiling point for less brake fade. 2cents.
Old 10-18-2007, 01:52 PM
also known as OMR

old man roger User spends way too much time asking for repold man roger User spends way too much time asking for repold man roger User spends way too much time asking for repold man roger User spends way too much time asking for repold man roger User spends way too much time asking for repold man roger User spends way too much time asking for repold man roger User spends way too much time asking for repold man roger User spends way too much time asking for repold man roger User spends way too much time asking for repold man roger User spends way too much time asking for repold man roger User spends way too much time asking for rep

neal is correct you need to change your brake fuid because once you have boiled it the fluids heat rating drops and it will boil at a lower tempeture the next time so the problem will just get worse and he is also right about the motul it's the best brake fkuid out there just make sure you flush the whole system because motul does not mix well with other fluids.....
Old 10-18-2007, 01:55 PM
NealFoReal

OnEWhEeLNEAL User spends way too much time asking for repOnEWhEeLNEAL User spends way too much time asking for repOnEWhEeLNEAL User spends way too much time asking for repOnEWhEeLNEAL User spends way too much time asking for repOnEWhEeLNEAL User spends way too much time asking for repOnEWhEeLNEAL User spends way too much time asking for repOnEWhEeLNEAL User spends way too much time asking for repOnEWhEeLNEAL User spends way too much time asking for repOnEWhEeLNEAL User spends way too much time asking for repOnEWhEeLNEAL User spends way too much time asking for repOnEWhEeLNEAL User spends way too much time asking for rep

Ahhh shitt - I learned something over the past year. Look at that. Question tho OMR - when you say flush you mean bleed the brakes and go through 5 or 6 res til it should all be flushed and new fluid - not empty out the lines and start from scratch, right? I know I asked you that before but we didnt talk about flush so just wanna make sure I'm doing it right? Thanks meng.
Old 10-18-2007, 02:08 PM
also known as OMR

old man roger User spends way too much time asking for repold man roger User spends way too much time asking for repold man roger User spends way too much time asking for repold man roger User spends way too much time asking for repold man roger User spends way too much time asking for repold man roger User spends way too much time asking for repold man roger User spends way too much time asking for repold man roger User spends way too much time asking for repold man roger User spends way too much time asking for repold man roger User spends way too much time asking for repold man roger User spends way too much time asking for rep

well if you really want all the old fluid out you really need to take the hole system apart and clean it all out with brake clean but i just pumped about a half a can of brake fluid through it and have had no problems
Old 10-18-2007, 02:34 PM

Joker is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by 50mob
So I've had my 04 636 for a couple months and have been r braking the **** out of it with no problems.(it had half pads when I got it) I put new pads on and the first time out after riding for about 10 mins I went to hit the pedal and there was nothing--no pressure. I let it sit for 10 mins and pump it up and the brake was back. It continues to do this...I assume it's just getting to hot and fading but I don't know...anyone else experience this...what can I do??? thanks in advance
Had you used your pads for the first ten minutes? If you hadn't it was probably just that your pads weren't anywhere near the rotors because you had to spread the pistons to put the pads in. You always have to pump it a few times to get it to work if put in new pads or take your wheel off etc.
Old 10-18-2007, 03:12 PM
NealFoReal

Originally Posted by old man roger
well if you really want all the old fluid out you really need to take the hole system apart and clean it all out with brake clean but i just pumped about a half a can of brake fluid through it and have had no problems
Thats what I did on the gsxr and am going to do the same thing on the f4i this weekend. Just checking. The f4i should be on the road by this weekend so I'll be talking to you soon enough. Thanks.
Old 10-23-2007, 11:23 AM
BIKESTYLES

yeah they were pumped up I had been using them the whole time...like I said they were just overheated I think...It never did this before but I think the new full pads were putting more pressure than usual and heating up quicker. I tend to constantly ride the brake so I need some good mods for a brake abuser like me! I will try the new fluid thats a good idea hopefully it holds up.
Old 10-23-2007, 08:59 PM

atnuts is an unknown quantity at this point

stock pads?
Old 10-25-2007, 06:59 PM
BIKESTYLES

Originally Posted by atnuts
stock pads?

Not this time...I usually do but all they had in stock were ebc hh and I couldn't wait
Old 10-26-2007, 01:24 AM

JohnnyP is a decent person

Originally Posted by 50mob
Not this time...I usually do but all they had in stock were ebc hh and I couldn't wait
GARBAGE! those pads are crap get rid of them, especially if your just starting out and are hard on the brake.....Your going to hot spot your rotor with those pads if your hard on th brake, your fluid is already cooked...

Been there done that, only buy OEM pads now....And RBF 600 in all the bikes
Old 10-27-2007, 11:04 AM
BIKESTYLES

Originally Posted by JohnnyP
GARBAGE! those pads are crap get rid of them, especially if your just starting out and are hard on the brake.....Your going to hot spot your rotor with those pads if your hard on th brake, your fluid is already cooked...

Been there done that, only buy OEM pads now....And RBF 600 in all the bikes
I agree they are garbage...I ordered the rbf600(at 18 dollars a bottle!) it should be worth it though b/c the boil temp is almost double. I've also been laying off the brake which has actually made me smoother. Hopefully a set of oem pads and these other changes will fix my problem