Yet Another Balance Point ?

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-2003, 12:04 AM

Cbr600F4 is an unknown quantity at this point
Yet Another Balance Point ?

im new to doin wheelies .. i got a cbr 600 f4 ... i got two questions, the first is what is the best way to get used to where the bp is and how much gas to use to keep it up ... it seems like no matter how much gas i give it, it just comes right back down and if i give it too much on the way up im convinced im gonna flip ...

my next question is what is the best way to go about doing wheelies standing on the rear pegs? ... i think id be more comfortable if i were standing up ... should i put my feet on the pegs before i try to lift it up or after? ...

by the way if it matters i use the clutchin it method ... thnx for the help its appreciated ....
Old 06-02-2003, 05:02 AM
Regular StuntLifer

H00KED is an unknown quantity at this point
I'm a newb so take what I say very very lightly.
This is what I've experienced so far:

Sit downs for the most part feel the "safest"
Every now and then you may do a stand up that feels aight too
I don't think standing on the rear pegs is going to be a good idea if you are just starting out....

I started out doing only power wheelies in 1st.
Then rode them out in 1st and shifted into 2nd keeping it up.
Now I'm clutching it up in 2nd and working on kicking it into 3rd.

When I try to bring it up while standing I don't have a good idea of how high I am b/c I'm used to sit downs....From what I've read it's best to do stand ups b/c it's easier to hold once you get it to the balance point. But don't do anything that doesn't feel "right" to you....and most importantly TAKE YOUR TIME. I have to keep telling myself that last one...lol

Oh and scan through the pages - there are lots of threads on wheelies in this section.

Good luck -
Old 06-02-2003, 03:08 PM

ZeroGravity is an unknown quantity at this point
my 2 cents

im pretty new too stunting as well... but heres what ive experienced (and heard).

Pretty much everyone on the board (from what ive read) says not to stand on the rear pegs... here my 2 cents tho...
Myself only having a 250... i cant get my bike up to the balance point with standing on the rear pegs... However, the problem comes into to play when although easier to get it up, once its there you dont have your rear brake at your dispossal, wich is not a great idea because safety for one, and 2 because once its at the BP I have to lean forward as much as i can to drop it down.
also learning to get it up to the BP without the rear brake STILL gives me an uneasy feeling... just knowing that if you needed to set it down you cant very quickly (while being in control)

People have said to put one foot on the left rear peg and keep your right foot on the brake... ive tried it a few times.. and either im not coordinated enough or the weight transfer makes a huge difference, cause i can only get it up like a foot mabey 2 if im lucky.

Oh and i have never done a sit down wheelie.... i learned watching people do stand ups and seems more forgiving to people with less experience.. (My Opinion of course)

hope that help at least a little have fun, be safe

Chris
Old 06-02-2003, 11:21 PM

BOOMBALATY is an unknown quantity at this point
I like to stand on the rears first then clutch it up in second or third. Be careful though it is awkward at first so take it slow. For me it is much easier to do standups this way. Good luck bro, be safe.
Old 06-03-2003, 06:14 PM

about where do you have the rpms when you pull it up in second on the rear pegs ... i know the front end comes up a lot easier if your standing on the rears so i dont wanna give it too much and loop ....
Old 06-03-2003, 09:37 PM

DLISH is a splendid one to beholdDLISH is a splendid one to beholdDLISH is a splendid one to beholdDLISH is a splendid one to beholdDLISH is a splendid one to beholdDLISH is a splendid one to beholdDLISH is a splendid one to beholdDLISH is a splendid one to behold
PRACTICE PRACTICE PRACTICE
Old 06-03-2003, 10:28 PM
Regular StuntLifer

Originally posted by Cbr600F4
about where do you have the rpms when you pull it up in second on the rear pegs ... i know the front end comes up a lot easier if your standing on the rears so i dont wanna give it too much and loop ....
I'd say just start as low rev as you can. Then see what a lil more will do, then a lil more, ect.... I haven't tried it but that's how I'd start.
Old 06-03-2003, 11:35 PM

Radguy is an unknown quantity at this point
That 600 F4 should bring it up in second with ease. And I would highly recommend keeping a foot over the brake!!
And have someone tape you so you can see for yourself how high you are actually going
Old 06-03-2003, 11:51 PM

so should i put my left foot on the rearpeg and cover the break with the other until i have it up ?
Old 06-04-2003, 03:05 AM
Regular StuntLifer

no need to use the rear pegs....

Dude, practice is going to be your answer. Get it in 2nd about 35 mph, pull in the clutch, wait a sec, rev it up, and 1) Slip the clutch out real fast, or 2) dump it by just letting it go.

Don't start like this but I pretty much give the gas hell and slip it quick...I rev it pretty high. When the tire gets up as high as you want it let off the gas a little, if it starts to drop back down give it a little. Just play with it, but mostly it's just as someone said

PRACTICE PRACTICE PRACTICE
Old 06-07-2003, 07:44 PM

a56kuser is an unknown quantity at this point
when doing rear peg wheelies you dont gotta bounce it or clutch it for that matter ( unless you want to ) all i do is power that bugga and it comes up....just dont fold your legs cause them rear pegs can fold in.