F4i fun: fuel problem

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-2007, 12:21 AM

duper12 is an unknown quantity at this point
F4i fun: fuel problem

Heres the deal, got an 03 f4i, wich runs like boiled crap. i know the basic problem, but i dont know how to fix it. the fuel pump relay was broken when i got the bike, so it was rigged to run all the time and everything worked. now the bike starts to chugg, im guessing excessive fuel pressure ruined the pressure regulator. well i got a new relay, but the fuel pump will not work unless i pull the relay out and jump the connector. Then it stays on all the time, so basically im back to square one. i pulled the wiring harness out and checked the wires all seem to be good, no spliced ones. so why wont the relay work? any ideas, im gonna go to the dealer when i get a few mins and see if maybe i just got a bad relay, even though the bike does the same thing with the starter relay. ok what do you think?
Old 08-22-2007, 12:37 AM
also known as OMR

old man roger User spends way too much time asking for repold man roger User spends way too much time asking for repold man roger User spends way too much time asking for repold man roger User spends way too much time asking for repold man roger User spends way too much time asking for repold man roger User spends way too much time asking for repold man roger User spends way too much time asking for repold man roger User spends way too much time asking for repold man roger User spends way too much time asking for repold man roger User spends way too much time asking for repold man roger User spends way too much time asking for rep
Re: F4i fun: fuel problem

bad ground ????
Old 08-22-2007, 02:30 AM

Street Warrior is a splendid one to beholdStreet Warrior is a splendid one to beholdStreet Warrior is a splendid one to beholdStreet Warrior is a splendid one to beholdStreet Warrior is a splendid one to beholdStreet Warrior is a splendid one to beholdStreet Warrior is a splendid one to beholdStreet Warrior is a splendid one to behold

I dunno but something is definitely fucked up with your ignition or harness if the starter relay does the same thing... You're not getting power through the control circuit parts of the relays to close the contacts. You could just wire in a toggle switch...
Old 08-22-2007, 03:19 AM
Scrapes Elbow

Wheeliest is a name known to allWheeliest is a name known to allWheeliest is a name known to allWheeliest is a name known to allWheeliest is a name known to allWheeliest is a name known to all

the ecu receives a 7-8 volt signal from the ignition which tells the ecu that the bike isn't being hotwired and fuel pump relay get signal.

i will be doing the first F4i bog elimination write up in the next week or two.
Old 08-22-2007, 04:26 AM
WWW.Sickinnovations.com

Suicidl is a splendid one to beholdSuicidl is a splendid one to beholdSuicidl is a splendid one to beholdSuicidl is a splendid one to beholdSuicidl is a splendid one to beholdSuicidl is a splendid one to beholdSuicidl is a splendid one to behold

get a wire harness and swap it out

problem solved
Old 08-22-2007, 05:46 AM

no i ment the relay when i swap it over. the bike runs fine minus the chuggin when i jump the connection. would a bad ignistion switch cause it to not run, but allow it to run when jumped? how do i test the switch? thanks for the help
Old 08-22-2007, 05:49 AM

suicidl is that the spot by the mellow mushroomin by ksu in your avitar?
Old 08-22-2007, 03:07 PM
Scrapes Elbow

Wheeliest is a name known to allWheeliest is a name known to allWheeliest is a name known to allWheeliest is a name known to allWheeliest is a name known to allWheeliest is a name known to all

when u turn the ignition on the relay should click on.... thats how you test it.
Old 08-22-2007, 03:42 PM

i dont think it does. how would i bypass the ignition to see if that is it?
Old 08-22-2007, 03:46 PM
Weeeee!!

-ChaOs- is a decent person

If you can jump a relay and make it run I am willing to guess the relay is bad. Why would you try to bypass the ignition? All a relay does is direct current flow like a switch but for higher current.
Old 08-22-2007, 04:19 PM
big fonky rubber chicken

chevelle2030 is a decent person

Originally Posted by duper12
Heres the deal, got an 03 f4i, wich runs like boiled crap. i know the basic problem, but i dont know how to fix it. the fuel pump relay was broken when i got the bike, so it was rigged to run all the time and everything worked. now the bike starts to chugg, im guessing excessive fuel pressure ruined the pressure regulator. well i got a new relay, but the fuel pump will not work unless i pull the relay out and jump the connector. Then it stays on all the time, so basically im back to square one. i pulled the wiring harness out and checked the wires all seem to be good, no spliced ones. so why wont the relay work? any ideas, im gonna go to the dealer when i get a few mins and see if maybe i just got a bad relay, even though the bike does the same thing with the starter relay. ok what do you think?

i went threw a similar problem and it was still the relay even though i bought another it was a bad one to so i eventully just replaced both and it still chugged so i changed the plugs and now its golden.....but if you figure out its in the harness its self i have a spare i can hook ya up with
Old 08-22-2007, 04:30 PM

DBOUNCE1 is a glorious beacon of lightDBOUNCE1 is a glorious beacon of lightDBOUNCE1 is a glorious beacon of lightDBOUNCE1 is a glorious beacon of lightDBOUNCE1 is a glorious beacon of lightDBOUNCE1 is a glorious beacon of light

f4i's make me want to punch a baby
Old 08-22-2007, 04:31 PM
big fonky rubber chicken

Originally Posted by DBOUNCE1
f4i's make me want to punch a baby

yea me 2 everyone says they are the **** but ive been threw hell with mine
Old 08-22-2007, 04:53 PM

yeah i got rid of my r6 cause it wouldnt run right, now the same thing. I just changed my plugs, its something i do with every new used bike, i shold pull them out to check on them. i dont think its the harness though, it tested out ok maybe i should try 2 new relays at 24 bucks a pop.
Old 08-22-2007, 04:55 PM
Weeeee!!

-ChaOs- is a decent person

if the r6 was a 03-05 I will bet it was the pump that made it run llike ****!
Old 08-22-2007, 04:56 PM
big fonky rubber chicken

yeah i got rid of my r6 cause it wouldnt run right, now the same thing. I just changed my plugs, its something i do with every new used bike, i shold pull them out to check on them. i dont think its the harness though, it tested out ok maybe i should try 2 new relays at 24 bucks a pop.
yea they will get in your pocket quick but i had to do it to make mine run so you may try it..my problem wasnt as much hcugging as it was dying, it would take the gas as long as i barely got in it but if i tried to twist it up quick it would die so like i said i changed plugs and ran some of that sea foam threw it now it runs like a champ
Old 08-22-2007, 06:35 PM

the r6 was an 02 so carb. i rebuilt them like 3 times and it never would run for more thasn 5 mins before it would fall on its face, flooding itself. thats why i got the f4i, like chevelle2030 said. yeah mine runs and generally idles fine, justcraps out when i wheelie or cruise at the same speed for to long.. blah blah blah this bike blows.
Old 08-22-2007, 07:14 PM
Scrapes Elbow

haha i had a 02 r6, fuel pumps are what go bad on them... they slowly die out... i loved my 02 r6

http://media.putfile.com/jstunt2

i miss the idle pull on that bitch... and it was stock gear'd..
Old 08-23-2007, 12:14 AM
big fonky rubber chicken

the r6 was an 02 so carb. i rebuilt them like 3 times and it never would run for more thasn 5 mins before it would fall on its face, flooding itself. thats why i got the f4i, like chevelle2030 said. yeah mine runs and generally idles fine, justcraps out when i wheelie or cruise at the same speed for to long.. blah blah blah this bike blows.

i dunno man i like the f4i as far as it goes to idle real easy and it loves gettin the **** beat out of it, i believe the bike was engineered for stunting
Old 08-23-2007, 06:04 PM

i wouldnt know yet, it dies when i try to do anything, but than again im new too

Quick Reply: F4i fun: fuel problem