F4i won't start

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-2007, 07:30 PM

ericdanovice is an unknown quantity at this point
F4i won't start

I just bought this f4i a few days ago and it's been running fine. Today when I started it, it would run for a few seconds before it would die. I tried starting it few more times and it kept doing the same thing. It had a little bit of gas in it, so I added more. Now, it doesn't even start up. I noticed that when I turn on the ignition, I can hear it priming but it seems to prime a lot longer than usual. This is my first stunt bike, any suggestions as to where I should start my troubleshooting?
Old 08-21-2007, 11:49 PM

matt360 is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: F4i won't start

Originally Posted by ericdanovice
I just bought this f4i a few days ago and it's been running fine. Today when I started it, it would run for a few seconds before it would die. I tried starting it few more times and it kept doing the same thing. It had a little bit of gas in it, so I added more. Now, it doesn't even start up. I noticed that when I turn on the ignition, I can hear it priming but it seems to prime a lot longer than usual. This is my first stunt bike, any suggestions as to where I should start my troubleshooting?
I would first check all the connections are good. All connections even ones under the tank. I would also check the fuses. I had the same problem and turned out to be a bad fuel pump under the tank. Does the fi light come on?
Old 08-22-2007, 06:35 AM

I hope it's not the fuel pump. I just priced them online and they're $400. As for the FI light, I'll check when I get home. I didn't have the gauges hooked up when I tried to start it.
Old 08-22-2007, 08:08 AM

MODESEVEN is an unknown quantity at this point

sounds like the fuel pump.has the bike been siting for a long time.my fuel pump just went,got one used off ebay for way cheaper than that.works fine.
Old 08-22-2007, 08:12 AM

I was told by the previous owner that it was sitting for a while. I guess I'll start looking for a fuel pump. Thanks guys
Old 08-22-2007, 08:17 AM

MODESEVEN is an unknown quantity at this point

do you hear the fuel pump come on when you turn the key on?
Old 08-22-2007, 09:29 AM

Is it the whining noise you hear when you turn on the ignition? If so, then yes. I noticed that on my street bike I can hear the same sound for a few seconds, but it takes longer for the F4i and even sometimes it'll just stay on. Forgive me for my terminlology, but I'm not experienced with working on bikes.
Old 08-22-2007, 01:29 PM

matt360 is an unknown quantity at this point

Yeah man sounds like thats your problem. Even if you get it running it would run like ****.
Old 08-22-2007, 03:14 PM
Scrapes Elbow

Wheeliest is a name known to allWheeliest is a name known to allWheeliest is a name known to allWheeliest is a name known to allWheeliest is a name known to allWheeliest is a name known to all

if it was sitting for a long time you need to empty the tank... and add fresh gas.. theres prolly water in the tank along with bad gas... normally when fuel pumps die they completely fail and dont make any noise.
Old 08-22-2007, 03:16 PM

DBOUNCE1 is a glorious beacon of lightDBOUNCE1 is a glorious beacon of lightDBOUNCE1 is a glorious beacon of lightDBOUNCE1 is a glorious beacon of lightDBOUNCE1 is a glorious beacon of lightDBOUNCE1 is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Wheeliest
if it was sitting for a long time you need to empty the tank... and add fresh gas.. theres prolly water in the tank along with bad gas... normally when fuel pumps die they completely fail and dont make any noise.
yes i highly doubt it's the fuel pump too
Old 08-22-2007, 03:21 PM
Scrapes Elbow

Wheeliest is a name known to allWheeliest is a name known to allWheeliest is a name known to allWheeliest is a name known to allWheeliest is a name known to allWheeliest is a name known to all

**** squids

I feel like a ***** today
Old 08-22-2007, 03:25 PM

DBOUNCE1 is a glorious beacon of lightDBOUNCE1 is a glorious beacon of lightDBOUNCE1 is a glorious beacon of lightDBOUNCE1 is a glorious beacon of lightDBOUNCE1 is a glorious beacon of lightDBOUNCE1 is a glorious beacon of light

im getting there...not today just in general
Old 08-22-2007, 03:29 PM

Well, the fuel pump is deff making noise. I can hear it priming when I turn on the ignition. Sometimes it primes for a few seconds, while other times it'll just keep priming. It ran fine for the past 3 days I've had it though. I'm not sure what to check next, spark plugs maybe? Thanks for the info guys.
Old 08-22-2007, 03:29 PM
Retired

NINER User spends way too much time asking for repNINER User spends way too much time asking for repNINER User spends way too much time asking for repNINER User spends way too much time asking for repNINER User spends way too much time asking for repNINER User spends way too much time asking for repNINER User spends way too much time asking for repNINER User spends way too much time asking for repNINER User spends way too much time asking for repNINER User spends way too much time asking for repNINER User spends way too much time asking for rep

Originally Posted by DBOUNCE1
yes i highly doubt it's the fuel pump too
This coming from a guy who hasn't figured out why his bike won't run for almost a year.
Old 08-22-2007, 03:36 PM
Weeeee!!

-ChaOs- is a decent person

Next to check would be spark, unless you set at digging into the pump some more then I would suggest checking to see what kind of pressure its putting out. The pump is priming but if the screen is clogged or the pump is weak it may not start.
Old 08-22-2007, 03:45 PM

Originally Posted by NINER
This coming from a guy who hasn't figured out why his bike won't run for almost a year.
i knew that was comming. i was suprised when jason didn't say it first
Old 08-22-2007, 03:46 PM

Originally Posted by NINER
and FYI i know EXACTALLY why it won't run
Old 08-22-2007, 03:51 PM
Weeeee!!

-ChaOs- is a decent person

It wont run because you dont want to fix it?
Old 08-22-2007, 03:52 PM
Retired

NINER User spends way too much time asking for repNINER User spends way too much time asking for repNINER User spends way too much time asking for repNINER User spends way too much time asking for repNINER User spends way too much time asking for repNINER User spends way too much time asking for repNINER User spends way too much time asking for repNINER User spends way too much time asking for repNINER User spends way too much time asking for repNINER User spends way too much time asking for repNINER User spends way too much time asking for rep

Originally Posted by DBOUNCE1
and FYI i know EXACTALLY why it won't run
You not being able to figure out how to fix it is my guess.
Old 08-22-2007, 03:54 PM

Originally Posted by -ChaOs-
It wont run because you dont want to fix it?
yup.....exactally...garage is too torn apart to start that project and i have alot of **** going on it will get fixed when the snow flies

Quick Reply: F4i won't start