tapered f4i head bearings

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2007, 03:23 AM

inolen is a glorious beacon of lightinolen is a glorious beacon of lightinolen is a glorious beacon of lightinolen is a glorious beacon of lightinolen is a glorious beacon of lightinolen is a glorious beacon of light
tapered f4i head bearings

I just got a set of all ***** racing bearings/races/seals for my f4i, but I'm having a bit of trouble installing them. How the hell do I get the old race/seal off for the bearings against the lower triple?
Old 06-20-2007, 03:28 AM

inolen is a glorious beacon of lightinolen is a glorious beacon of lightinolen is a glorious beacon of lightinolen is a glorious beacon of lightinolen is a glorious beacon of lightinolen is a glorious beacon of light
Re: tapered f4i head bearings

Also.. I've never actually fucked with any sort of bearings, does anyone want to quickly explain how to properly replace both of these?

The top bearings/races slid right into the top of the frame.. do I still need to take a socket/hammer and press them in farther?

I tried sliding the lower bearing down the stem just to check the fit and they seemed to get stuck right where the stem flares out.. once I get the old lower races off, what is the proper way for getting the new one on there?

Last edited by inolen; 06-20-2007 at 03:42 AM.
Old 06-20-2007, 03:37 AM

junjun is an unknown quantity at this point

to get the old race off the lower triple use a bearing separator, thats what i did on my bike
Old 06-20-2007, 04:05 AM

Z.w.A is an unknown quantity at this point

or be violent and use a small hand grinder. That´s what i did. Just make sure u DONT cut anything else than the bearing away
Old 06-20-2007, 11:53 AM

bikefreak600 is an unknown quantity at this point

you can turn the triple upside down and use a punch and a hammer it will come off, or cutting it works as said before, the bottom race comes out from the bottom, you can put a bar down though the top of the neck and push it down with a hammer, very easily. the kit comes with directions just follow them, i have the same bearings on my bike.
Old 06-20-2007, 05:22 PM
Scrapes Elbow

Wheeliest is a name known to allWheeliest is a name known to allWheeliest is a name known to allWheeliest is a name known to allWheeliest is a name known to allWheeliest is a name known to all

use a screw driver and hammer and hammer the race off the tripple, hammer the race out of the bottom of the stem on the frame, and hammer the race out of the top of the frame all useing a screw driver, make sure u hammer evenly like, do one side a couple times, then the next,

now to set the new all ballz ones, place the new race in the frame, hammer that in, once again, tap it in a clockwise function, once you get the frame races installed, slide the new lower bearing onto the tripple tree stem and now slide the tripple tree back onto the bike and hammer the tripple tree gently to set the new bearin/race on the tripple tre stem, whaa la your all done.
Old 06-20-2007, 05:30 PM

Originally Posted by Wheeliest
use a screw driver and hammer and hammer the race off the tripple, hammer the race out of the bottom of the stem on the frame, and hammer the race out of the top of the frame all useing a screw driver, make sure u hammer evenly like, do one side a couple times, then the next,

now to set the new all ballz ones, place the new race in the frame, hammer that in, once again, tap it in a clockwise function, once you get the frame races installed, slide the new lower bearing onto the tripple tree stem and now slide the tripple tree back onto the bike and hammer the tripple tree gently to set the new bearin/race on the tripple tre stem, whaa la your all done.
I see how I use the hammer/screw driver to get the races out of the frame, but to get the race off the lower triple? It's practically flat against the triple.. how the **** do I hammer that off?
Old 06-20-2007, 06:04 PM

Z-UNIT is an unknown quantity at this point

just cut it with a dremmel tool thats wat i did several times.....and when putting the new one on, if u have a torch and long set of pliers hold in the race in the pliers, and heat it so it expands then lower it down the neck of the triple....u gotta do it quick though cus u only have like 2-3 secs before it cools and shrinks again.....heating it, expands it just enuff to slide over smoothly
Old 06-20-2007, 07:29 PM
Scrapes Elbow

Wheeliest is a name known to allWheeliest is a name known to allWheeliest is a name known to allWheeliest is a name known to allWheeliest is a name known to allWheeliest is a name known to all

i hammerd if off some how, maybe i used my vice, i forgot what it looks like now, i did it last year on my friends f4i.. its possible with out cutting
Old 06-20-2007, 08:09 PM

Yea I really don't like the idea of cutting it off.

Old 06-20-2007, 08:16 PM

jcrojas is an unknown quantity at this point

I cut mine with a dremel and then once I had it cut almost all the way to the triple tree I used a screwdriver to pry it apart.
Old 06-20-2007, 08:16 PM

junjun is an unknown quantity at this point

try this bearing separator, worked for me
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	1A807.JPG
Views:	24
Size:	6.8 KB
ID:	196002  
Old 06-20-2007, 08:31 PM
Scrapes Elbow

hammer the back side of it.
Old 07-10-2007, 02:50 PM

mike1984 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by junjun
try this bearing separator, worked for me
where can you gdet this tool at