929 brake issue

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-2007, 12:43 PM

Outlawtorn50 is an unknown quantity at this point
929 brake issue

Hey all, I recently helped a buddy of mine put some db bars on his 2001 929. We rerouted the clutch line so the original fit, but the front brake lines were not nearly as long as needed. We got Goodridge 30" braided brake lines for the front. We used a double banjo bolt with new crush washers on the original master cylinder and new crush washers at the calipers. The issue is there is no pressure when we squeeze the front brake. We emptied the lines and refilled the resevoir. We used a mitivac connected to each bleeder to bleed out the air. The left caliper is fine and we are getting a steady brake fluid draw from the bleeder, but the right side seems to be one long air pocket with a tiny bit of fluid now and again. We retightened all the fittings and checked the crush washers. We disconnected the dual banjo bolt from the master and squeezed the handle which built enough pressure to force the finger from over the hole. We've rechecked the fitting and rebleed the lines at least 4 or 5 times now with the same outcome each time.

Can we use the same size resevoir? Those lines are much longer than stock...is the master not going to provide enough pressure? Could the left side caliper have magically busted the seal while is was sitting?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Old 06-18-2007, 09:35 AM

CHADf is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: 929 brake issue

have u tried switching the lines that run off the master?
make the line that goes to the right,go to the left.then vise-versa.
Old 06-20-2007, 07:25 PM

Surprisingly enough, have not tried that yet. I'll have to give it a shot on Friday. I thought about that before, but didn't try it because I switched the right side line out with another line and the same problem occured. I guess I should switch it with a known good line...

Can I use the same size resevoir? Does it matter if the lines are longer then stock? I was curious that if there is more line to fill then would the resevoir need to be smaller to compensate or does it matter?
Old 06-20-2007, 07:33 PM
Scrapes Elbow

Wheeliest is a name known to allWheeliest is a name known to allWheeliest is a name known to allWheeliest is a name known to allWheeliest is a name known to allWheeliest is a name known to all

its easy, just make sure you bleed the banjo bolts to. and it helps to tap on the line/master/calipers etc with a wrench n ****.
Old 06-20-2007, 08:04 PM

When you say make sure to bleed the banjos, do you mean after bleeding the lines via the bleeders to crack open the bolts enough to get a little fluid?

Basically, just connect all the lines, bolts, washers, etc. then fill the resevoir. After filling the resevoir, close it up and seal it. Upon completion of that I should bleed both lines via the bleeders at the calipers. After bleeding the calipers via the bleeders then I should crack open each banjo bolt to bleed the air from the individual bolts?

Just making sure I am going about it the right way. I've bled lines before without an issue, but his 929 is turning out to be a bitch to work with.
Old 06-20-2007, 09:09 PM
Scrapes Elbow

Wheeliest is a name known to allWheeliest is a name known to allWheeliest is a name known to allWheeliest is a name known to allWheeliest is a name known to allWheeliest is a name known to all

what u need to do,

bleed shifter side caliper first, make sure its the inside line on the double banjo bolt, make sure u have 3 crush washers on that double banjo bolt to. bleed left side really well, then bleed right side really well. keep lid off resivour. squeezing the tube between the resi and master helps also. remember air awnts to travel up. so sometimes taking off the MC from the clip-on and tilting it and pumping it to make the air go to the resi hose does help. after you bleed all the bleed screws, bleed the banjo bolt at the MC, do it 2-3 times pretty quick, then bleed the banjo bolts on the caliper, simply squeeze the lever and crack the banjo bolts and tighten quickly. repeat this a few times and then bleed the bleeder bolts on each caliper...

now u need to run clear line into a water botle and hook that clear line up to your caliper bleeder bolts, pump a full resi through each caliper but do not let the resi get low enough to allow air to make it into the master. after that re-bleed the banjo's and your **** will not have the slightest bit of air in it, now in a week or so buy some good brake fluid (Motul RBF600) and flush out that water absorbed **** as quickly as possible and cap off the new **** asap.
Old 06-21-2007, 12:23 AM

Thanks bro, I'll give it a shot and see what happens. The help is much appreciated.