2001 honda cbr runs rich, pure gasoline in exhaust

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-2007, 06:39 PM

clifton2137 is a decent person
Unhappy 2001 honda cbr runs rich, pure gasoline in exhaust

Hey guys, im new to this whole forum thing I could really use some advice. I have a 2001 honda cbr f4i with aftermarket exhaust and a powercommander. a few days ago i put a bottle of fuel injector cleaner into my full gas tank (like an idiot) ust in spite of wanting to see if I could get any performance out of it. I drove about 130 miles and refilled my gas tank. About 20 minutes after my refill i found myself on the side of the road watching gasoline pour out of where the exhuast pipe attaches to the slip-on. I trailered it home and check out the air filter, emptied the exhaust and took all of the gas out of the gas tank and let the bike run dry. I put about a 1/2 gallon of regular in and it was running like a dream. Once i got to the gas station i only put plus in cuz i was afraid there still might be some injector cleaner in the system. after leaving th egas station i once again pulled over and watched the gasoline pour out the bottom of the exhaust.

when i got home i did it all again and found out my oil was 50/50 of gasoline and oil and was no thicker than water. I dont know how or why this is happening, but I know it has to do with the injectr cleaner.

Any advice is helpful, im thinking the injector cleaner ate thro seals? burned a valve? I'm going to change the plugs and see if that will help. perhaps a cylinder isnt working and spitting gasoline out?

thanks alot for taking the time to help me out guys.

~aL
Old 06-16-2007, 06:45 PM

Righteous 1 has a spectacular aura aboutRighteous 1 has a spectacular aura about
Re: 2001 honda cbr runs rich, pure gasoline in exhaust

In order for that much gas to be gettin by, you must not be firing on all cylinders. Sounds pretty strange, but my guess would be that you might be running on 2 or 3 cylinders, and the cylinder(or 2) that isn't firing is just pushing the unburnt fuel into the exhaust. Huh......
Old 06-17-2007, 04:44 AM

Unhappy Re: 2001 honda cbr runs rich, pure gasoline in exhaust

Originally Posted by Righteous 1
In order for that much gas to be gettin by, you must not be firing on all cylinders. Sounds pretty strange, but my guess would be that you might be running on 2 or 3 cylinders, and the cylinder(or 2) that isn't firing is just pushing the unburnt fuel into the exhaust. Huh......
Thanks for replying so quickly...Im hoping that its just the spark plugs that are the cause of the cylinders missing. if not its gonna be costing me alot of money for something I had for 2 weeks come tomorrow.

What else what weird was that after i changed my oil, the compression got back to normal and caused the gas to come out of the exhaust again. thats why i feel like it might be a valve of a seal somewhere between the injector and the exhaust.

thanks again...any advice will be able to help me out.

~aL
Old 06-19-2007, 10:59 AM

Question Re: 2001 honda cbr runs rich, pure gasoline in exhaust

does anyone think an injector may be stuck open and dumping fuel? Also since the injection learns could the computer being trying to make up for running on such a rich mixture of premium and the injector cleaner by dumping more fuel? I'm about to start buying parts like the fuel regulator, air injection solenoid, and maybe even some used injectors. I need to get this thing back on the road.
Old 06-19-2007, 11:17 AM

"I have a 2002 F4I completely stock with only 2200 miles on it. As you can see it is not ridden much. Went for a ride and it started hesitating and was blowing out smoke.(blueish it think) It was burning through a tank of gas in like 7 miles, then when I stopped it cut off and could not get it started again. Had it towed home. I found the oil was full of gas, after sitting for a while it would start again, but run like crap and keep shutting off. I pulled the plugs and all seemed evenly fouled (smelled like gas) and were black- I pulled the injector rail and cranked it, all 4 seem to spritz fuel evenly ( non seemed stuck opened) - I cleaned the plugs and put them back in, ran the bike for a few minuites and pulled the plugs out, black and smelled like gas. I didnt want to buy new plugs and change the oil yet until I found out what was causing the problem, due to the same thing happening and wasting like $75. - Their are no indicator lights on the dash suggesting any problems -- any suggestions on what to try next or what is causing this would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
Charles"

looks like im not the only one with this problem.
Old 06-20-2007, 11:32 AM

another forum member suggested i pull everything down to the injectors and see whats goin on. I did so and when i open the throttle and flash a light down it looks like the 1st cylinder has carbon buildup and it still wet with some gasoline residue. My spark plugs ARE black, but the bike starts up. It always has started up so I'm gettin the plugs today, putting them in, and then changing the oil. Hopefully i didnt burn a valve seal, but I think thats the worst case scenario. The fuel injectors looked ok, but I will crank the bike and see if one sprays alot more than the others. Ill keep you guys updated... thanks again.
Old 06-25-2007, 11:42 AM

alright well i replaced the plugs and no dice. runs rich afte runnin for a few minutes. I read about a pressure regulator doint he same thing so thats next on my list and after that comes the injectors... any other suggestions?
Old 06-26-2007, 08:01 PM

charles8998 is a decent person

Did you change the pressure regulator yet? any improvements?
Old 06-27-2007, 12:51 AM

yes i did and still no changes. injectors and fuel pump are on the way off of ebay. hopefully install them by fri afternoon. this is bullsh!t and im really about to just take it somewhere and pay the montrosity of a bill.
Old 07-01-2007, 01:18 PM

charles8998 is a decent person

did you replace the injectors? I was told by a friend that the O2 sensor could be causing the problem, If its not reading right it could be telling the computer to richen the mixture, causing our problem...let me know if this makes sense to anyone.
Old 07-02-2007, 10:08 AM

Well the injector cleaner did absolutely nothing but mess with the power commander. Apparently after I relaced everything that has to do with fuel, all i really had to do was unplug the power commander. I only spent about 200 on parts and i can resell them, but it was a waste of my time. Since the power commander learns, the fuel was being dumped to try to compensate for the rich mixture that used to be in the tank. That is why when i drove about 100 miles and refilled on premium the bike broke down and ran like ****. Thanks for everyones advice. :YEAH

if you dont have a power commander charles, i have all the parts you need to figure out the problem.