2nd gear standup help on a TL1000R?

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-2003, 09:56 PM

TLTIME is an unknown quantity at this point
2nd gear standup help on a TL1000R?

I know this wheelie thing is being asked over and over, but this thing is very heavy. I'm just not giving it enough power or my technique sucks. Slipping the clutch is inconsistent on this thing. I'm trying the bounce at 45mph or so and give throttle and sometimes it comes up about a foot. 1st gear ofcourse launches you too dramatically. Anyone ride a tiller or rc51 that know what I'm talking about and can help? That pulse from the motor is not as smooth as an inline four.
Old 05-18-2003, 10:04 PM

crazy reed is an unknown quantity at this point
Thumbs down tlr wheelie

I have a tlr and the best way I could do it was with the clutch. You dont have to bounce it and you can bring it up at about 35mph. I switched to a 929 tlr too heavy for me.
Old 05-21-2003, 10:10 AM
I Enjoy Posting At StuntLife!

jimmyjammer is an unknown quantity at this point
I ride a SuperhawkVTR100 Honda and it will come up in 3rd witha bounce and clutch with stock gearing.

My buddy has a TLR and it comes up no problem in second.

Forget about the roll on bounces in second. Your already too fast and high in the rpm's to really find the balance point and ride it out.

Just practice and you'll ge tit soon enough. Try riding around standing up and slipping the clutch.

Here's one tip not many will tell you. Use one finger on the clutch.

Good luck don't loop it. COVER THE BRAKE.
Old 05-21-2003, 02:13 PM

Here's one tip not many will tell you. Use one finger on the clutch.

Good luck don't loop it. COVER THE BRAKE. [/B][/QUOTE]

Great advise, I will try that technique and thanks.
Old 05-21-2003, 11:10 PM

CRASHNDENT is an unknown quantity at this point
Bro, center yourself on the bike and compress the whole suspension by bouncing on the footpegs. As it is rebounding (in 2nd gear at about 45-50mph) just gak the throttle but be carefull cause at 70mph in third i have no prob flexin up a standup and my bike is all stock. Also like they said "cover the back brake"
Old 05-22-2003, 02:21 PM

ftrain is a decent person
How long have you been trying this? 1 hour, 1 day, 1 week???

I rode a TLR two years ago for the season and it was a wheelie monster. It is so much easier to wheelie then a inline 4 because of all the low end torque. I could wheelie in 1st, 2nd, & 3rd with no problem. Take your time and it will take a week or two to learn. Start in 2nd at a low rpm, pull the clutch in, rev up the motr and drop (slip) the clutch while reving the motor. Use 1 or 2 finger to pull the clutch in.

BECAREFUL!!! It takes a long time to wheelie, start small and slowely work your way up to high and higher hights. I looped my bike last season and it is not fun at all. Covering the brake sounds easy but mentally it is very hard. When you bike feels like it is going to go over the natural reflex is to freeze and you will forget to hit that rear brake.
Old 05-22-2003, 09:56 PM

How long have you been trying this? 1 hour, 1 day, 1 week???

About 2 weeks/1 hour every couple days, hard to find a spot that won't get people calling the po po. I didn't mention that most of the time the rear tire will break loose when trying 2nd gear. Must be these sport pilots that are causing some trouble with consistentcy. Either I get way up and don't seem to modulate the throttle quick enough and it goes right down or the tire just breaks loose even with lowered pressure. Dynoed the bike 3 weeks ago with 131 hp at rear wheel. The throttle is very sensative to input (ofcourse) when your up. Now the wifes old F4I was very easy to do in 2nd gear until she caught me and about cut my head off. You know it's really funny, when you want to wheelie the Tiller it gives you and attitude problem but when you don't it comes up like a raped ape, maybe I'm thinking to hard about it while trying?
Old 05-22-2003, 10:37 PM

eric954 is an unknown quantity at this point
If the back tire is breaking free, you are probably subconciously shifting your weight forward.
Old 05-25-2003, 05:34 PM

alan is an unknown quantity at this point
Hey man i ride a superhawk and a rc51 low end torque will get you i never use the clutch just rebound from the shocks and throttle 1 2 or 3 if the tire breaks loose you are to far forward or you just dont have enough *** to keep it on the ground the tires should stick as long as there not cold good luck
Old 05-25-2003, 10:50 PM

I appreciate all the feedback guys!! I'm not going to stop until I get it perfect. Will be practicing all day tommorrow. Just got back from Stuntfest in Tampa, props to all the stuntas
Old 05-28-2003, 09:46 AM

Sinista is an unknown quantity at this point
i have seen a tlr ride wheelies forever, but you have to remember with a v twin your pistons are always on an off stroke. unlike a inline 4. so they may die out on you. happens to my cousin in the middle of a nice long wheelie and it dies