fan switch............

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-2007, 06:33 PM
also known as OMR

old man roger User spends way too much time asking for repold man roger User spends way too much time asking for repold man roger User spends way too much time asking for repold man roger User spends way too much time asking for repold man roger User spends way too much time asking for repold man roger User spends way too much time asking for repold man roger User spends way too much time asking for repold man roger User spends way too much time asking for repold man roger User spends way too much time asking for repold man roger User spends way too much time asking for repold man roger User spends way too much time asking for rep
fan switch............

so on my bike i took the two wires off the tempeture sending unit and put a switch in between them so i hit the switch and the fan comes on....

if i were to hook the two wires back up to the sending unit but leave the switch also hooked up would that let my fan come on if i forgot to throw the switch ?

sounds good if i understand this correctly

any one know for sure if this will work?
Old 04-29-2007, 07:22 PM

Mr. Hooligan has much to be proud ofMr. Hooligan has much to be proud ofMr. Hooligan has much to be proud ofMr. Hooligan has much to be proud ofMr. Hooligan has much to be proud ofMr. Hooligan has much to be proud ofMr. Hooligan has much to be proud ofMr. Hooligan has much to be proud ofMr. Hooligan has much to be proud of
Re: fan switch............

If you got the switch wired so it is used like the temp. unit it will. I mean the wires still go the way cowi. put them but you add the switch in the path so its just extra.(tap into each wire not cut and terminate) If you you hit the switch it complets the ground if you dont it waits for the temp switch to do it.(Think T-splice conector on each wire) I've done this on a few of my cars that I switched to a electric fan and it works good.

Roger I know you know how to do it I just put in the tec. stuff to help others who don't
Old 04-29-2007, 07:33 PM
also known as OMR

old man roger User spends way too much time asking for repold man roger User spends way too much time asking for repold man roger User spends way too much time asking for repold man roger User spends way too much time asking for repold man roger User spends way too much time asking for repold man roger User spends way too much time asking for repold man roger User spends way too much time asking for repold man roger User spends way too much time asking for repold man roger User spends way too much time asking for repold man roger User spends way too much time asking for repold man roger User spends way too much time asking for rep

well i thought it would work but i never tried it, but im gonna....

thanks for the reply
Old 04-29-2007, 10:52 PM

Scott- is an unknown quantity at this point

how do i do this mod on my f4i and what kind of togo do i need ? i was lookin at pepboys and they had a **** load of togo's.
Old 04-29-2007, 10:55 PM
bp chaser

MikeM User spends way too much time asking for repMikeM User spends way too much time asking for repMikeM User spends way too much time asking for repMikeM User spends way too much time asking for repMikeM User spends way too much time asking for repMikeM User spends way too much time asking for repMikeM User spends way too much time asking for repMikeM User spends way too much time asking for repMikeM User spends way too much time asking for repMikeM User spends way too much time asking for repMikeM User spends way too much time asking for rep

if your switch is in parallel with the factory switch, it will be an "or" situation
Old 04-29-2007, 11:02 PM
also known as OMR

Originally Posted by MikeM
if your switch is in parallel with the factory switch, it will be an "or" situation

and on an f4i i think you just put a 12v toggle switch between the sending unit and ground
Old 04-29-2007, 11:03 PM
bp chaser

MikeM User spends way too much time asking for repMikeM User spends way too much time asking for repMikeM User spends way too much time asking for repMikeM User spends way too much time asking for repMikeM User spends way too much time asking for repMikeM User spends way too much time asking for repMikeM User spends way too much time asking for repMikeM User spends way too much time asking for repMikeM User spends way too much time asking for repMikeM User spends way too much time asking for repMikeM User spends way too much time asking for rep

Originally Posted by KSFSTUNTER
how do i do this mod on my f4i and what kind of togo do i need ? i was lookin at pepboys and they had a **** load of togo's.
there is a black wire that goes between the fan motor and the thermostat. When you ground that wire, the fan comes on, so tap into it and run it to a switch. You need a 'single pull single throw' switch
Old 04-29-2007, 11:10 PM

Street Warrior is a splendid one to beholdStreet Warrior is a splendid one to beholdStreet Warrior is a splendid one to beholdStreet Warrior is a splendid one to beholdStreet Warrior is a splendid one to beholdStreet Warrior is a splendid one to beholdStreet Warrior is a splendid one to beholdStreet Warrior is a splendid one to behold

I think you put the toggle switch between the fan and ground, since all the sending unit does is complete the circuit between the fan and ground. So if the switch is off and the thermo's hooked up it'll complete the circuit and your fan'll turn on when it gets hot. only way to wire it is parallel, the switch in series wouldn't do anything except prevent it from turning on when it got hot. btw it's 'single pole, single throw' :

Last edited by Street Warrior; 04-29-2007 at 11:15 PM.
Old 04-29-2007, 11:13 PM
also known as OMR

if the sending unit completes the circuit then a wire from the sending unit to the switch and from the switch to ground should work then on an f4i
Old 04-29-2007, 11:17 PM

Street Warrior is a splendid one to beholdStreet Warrior is a splendid one to beholdStreet Warrior is a splendid one to beholdStreet Warrior is a splendid one to beholdStreet Warrior is a splendid one to beholdStreet Warrior is a splendid one to beholdStreet Warrior is a splendid one to beholdStreet Warrior is a splendid one to behold

no because the sending unit would still need to hit it's temp before the circuit would be complete, and the switch would need to be on also, and the only thing the toggle could do is prevent the sending unit from working

EDIT: well actually it depends what side of the sending unit you're talkin about, if you're coming off the side that's conected to the fan then yeah, that's parallel. if ou're putting the switch between the sending unit and ground, no, that's series.

Last edited by Street Warrior; 04-29-2007 at 11:20 PM.
Old 04-29-2007, 11:25 PM
also known as OMR

i thought an f4i sending unit only had one wire.......ground that wire and the fan comes on
Old 04-29-2007, 11:30 PM

Mr. Hooligan has much to be proud ofMr. Hooligan has much to be proud ofMr. Hooligan has much to be proud ofMr. Hooligan has much to be proud ofMr. Hooligan has much to be proud ofMr. Hooligan has much to be proud ofMr. Hooligan has much to be proud ofMr. Hooligan has much to be proud ofMr. Hooligan has much to be proud of

ok here it is on the one wire bikes find the wire that go's to the temp switch and T into it with another wire and your switch then put the other side of your new switch to ground . you will have full control and still have the temp. unit for back-up If you forget to turn on the fan.
Old 04-29-2007, 11:34 PM

I don't know about the F4i specifically, but how could anything work with only one wire? It might have only one wire from the fan going to it, but it has to be grounded somewhere else.

As long as the switch you put in is coming off the wire between the fan and the sending unit, to ground, it'll work. Just also leave the wire hooked up to the sending unit and that'll work too when it gets hot.
Old 04-29-2007, 11:34 PM
also known as OMR

Originally Posted by r6-hooligan
ok here it is on the one wire bikes find the wire that go's to the temp switch and T into it with another wire and your switch then put the other side of your new switch to ground . you will have full control and still have the temp. unit for back-up If you forget to turn on the fan.
thats what i said ....i think ...lol
Old 04-29-2007, 11:36 PM
also known as OMR

Originally Posted by Street Warrior
I don't know about the F4i specifically, but how could anything work with only one wire? It might have only one wire from the fan going to it, but it has to be grounded somewhere else.

As long as the switch you put in is coming off the wire between the fan and the sending unit, to ground, it'll work. Just also leave the wire hooked up to the sending unit and that'll work too when it gets hot.
the sending unit must ground to the radiator when the temp gets high enough
Old 04-29-2007, 11:40 PM

what r6-hooligan said, you need to T it before the sending unit, that way either the switch can put power to ground, or the sending unit can. If you just took the wire off the sending unit and put it on a switch, obviously it wouldn't work when it got hot and you forgot to turn the switch on...
Old 04-29-2007, 11:43 PM

Originally Posted by old man roger
thats what i said ....i think ...lol

Just went and red your posts and ya you did say that

Oh well some need to hear it from more than one source before its correct
Old 04-29-2007, 11:43 PM
also known as OMR

and on an f4i i think you just put a 12v toggle switch between the sending unit and ground
basicly what i said
Old 04-29-2007, 11:44 PM
also known as OMR

hahaha we posted at the same time
Old 04-29-2007, 11:56 PM

the sending unit must ground to the radiator when the temp gets high enough
that's how it is on the 900 too

Quick Reply: fan switch............