Clutch

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2007, 01:58 AM
brabuhburbuh

Danger_Dave can only hope to improve
Clutch

how can you tell if its worn ?
over the course of the last few days when i clutch it up its been getting weaker and not as abrupt, especially with spreaders.
when the bikes on the swingarm stand in gear with the clutch pulled in the rear wheel is spinning at almost the same speed as when the clutch is out.
if you grab the handbrake to stop it and then ease off the handbrake and put your hand on the wheel its tough to keep it from spinning. my friend told me i need to adjust the linkage for the cable down below, but that to me seems no different then adjusting it up at the lever. and my lever is adjusted perfectly to where there is just a thin hair of play so i know its fully engaging and disengaging.
the bike also suddenly goes da da da da when riding seatstander.
when the bikes on the stand in gear with my finger off the clutch and the wheel spinning the chain flops around like a fish. my chain is perfectly adjusted.
this all just started happening recently.
f4i msr easy pull 60 tooth

Last edited by Danger_Dave; 04-27-2007 at 02:00 AM.
Old 04-27-2007, 07:27 AM
540 BOYZ SUMO STUNTER

E-Loc540 is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: Clutch

Sounds like a clutch and it sounds like it may be going bad....clutch plates will warp when they get hot thats why your tire spins when you pull the clutch in. and just because a clutch is warped dont mean its bad, a brand new clutch can warp and still have alot of life left. It doesnt hurt its just more annoying than anything...all chains will flop around if not properly adjusted....especially if your only at idle with the wheel spinning if you drag your back brake just a touch it should smooth out...

Last edited by E-Loc540; 04-27-2007 at 07:30 AM.
Old 04-28-2007, 01:21 AM

IHaveKrabs is a decent person

my ***** fucked too. i just ordered new plates from rmc.
Old 04-28-2007, 10:53 AM
Scrapes Elbow

Wheeliest is a name known to allWheeliest is a name known to allWheeliest is a name known to allWheeliest is a name known to allWheeliest is a name known to allWheeliest is a name known to all

what the hell is rmc? oh and allways remember, run stock/factory clutch fibers/steels, after market **** blows.
Old 04-28-2007, 11:58 AM

Mr. Hooligan has much to be proud ofMr. Hooligan has much to be proud ofMr. Hooligan has much to be proud ofMr. Hooligan has much to be proud ofMr. Hooligan has much to be proud ofMr. Hooligan has much to be proud ofMr. Hooligan has much to be proud ofMr. Hooligan has much to be proud ofMr. Hooligan has much to be proud of

how long have you had that msr on their? Why I ask- when I got mine I had a hard time getting it so it would disengauge AND engauge all the way and I still wonder if its right sometimes. Check the lever coming out of the clutch cover to see if it still moves alittle with the lever all the way out and make sure the cable is not solid as a steel rod down their all-so.
I had that small adjuster on the side (to adjust lever free play) vibrate in and it keeped the lever pulled just a hair. After a short lot run and on the way home my clucth got so hot it started to slip and I thought it was fried. I took the msr apart and reinstaled and it ok now also I got ride of that little adjuster (garbage)
Old 04-28-2007, 10:47 PM
540 BOYZ SUMO STUNTER

I dont know why people are having such set-up problems with the MSR lever...adjust the pivot so it lines up with the hole in the lever that you choose...my only complaint is the pivot is made from aluminum which wears out very fast.
Old 04-28-2007, 11:07 PM

Mr. Hooligan has much to be proud ofMr. Hooligan has much to be proud ofMr. Hooligan has much to be proud ofMr. Hooligan has much to be proud ofMr. Hooligan has much to be proud ofMr. Hooligan has much to be proud ofMr. Hooligan has much to be proud ofMr. Hooligan has much to be proud ofMr. Hooligan has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by E-Loc540
I dont know why people are having such set-up problems with the MSR lever...adjust the pivot so it lines up with the hole in the lever that you choose...my only complaint is the pivot is made from aluminum which wears out very fast.

have you ever tryed putting one on a street bike?

The install is easy the adjustment is what is hard. I had to grind down the cable adjuster lock to get the cable to not pull alittle with the lever all the way out and the adjuster all the way in. I got it so I could have some adjustment and move the lever in a bit with the set screw. Then the damd set screw viberated in while riding causeing my problem.
Old 04-28-2007, 11:18 PM
540 BOYZ SUMO STUNTER

Originally Posted by r6-hooligan

have you ever tryed putting one on a street bike?

The install is easy the adjustment is what is hard. I had to grind down the cable adjuster lock to get the cable to not pull alittle with the lever all the way out and the adjuster all the way in. I got it so I could have some adjustment and move the lever in a bit with the set screw. Then the damd set screw viberated in while riding causeing my problem.
Yeah. Ive had problems with set screws before on different perches...a drop of loc-tite
Old 04-29-2007, 02:00 AM
brabuhburbuh

Danger_Dave can only hope to improve

Originally Posted by IHaveKrabs
my ***** fucked too. i just ordered new plates from rmc.
rmc used to be the **** until they decided to hire cops to hang out and put speed bumps there. i'll bet they used to rake in so much dough, but finally decided to ban any form of stuntriding due to "insurance" reasons.
i used to look forward to two wheel tuesdays, but not anymore.
Old 04-29-2007, 06:58 PM

i should prolly stop jumpin the speed bumps and doin wheelies over em then
Old 04-30-2007, 02:31 AM

is there a two wheel tuesday in tacoma this week? someone told me that.