F4i Gas Tank Help

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2007, 08:27 PM
brabuhburbuh

Danger_Dave can only hope to improve
F4i Gas Tank Help

i beat this thing like it owes me money and not only did it split down the crease in the middle but i busted the posts off the bottom of the cap. ya know, the three 1 inch posts that are attached to the cap and they help keep everything spaced out and lined up. so now the cap will not stay attached to the tank because the head of the bolts are the same diameter as the holes in the cap. what should i do? use washers or something? or just buy a vortex cap and base? do the vortex caps come with the posts?

Name:  P9100002.jpg
Views: 29
Size:  53.6 KB

Name:  P9100001.jpg
Views: 26
Size:  47.9 KB
Old 03-13-2007, 08:55 PM

f4istunna is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: F4i Gas Tank Help

ddamn u didnt mess around
Old 03-13-2007, 08:56 PM

f4istunna is an unknown quantity at this point

jb weld that bitch in there lol
Old 03-13-2007, 08:59 PM
Scrapes Elbow

Wheeliest is a name known to allWheeliest is a name known to allWheeliest is a name known to allWheeliest is a name known to allWheeliest is a name known to allWheeliest is a name known to all

just take the center part off the cap use that...
Old 03-13-2007, 09:07 PM

havok is an unknown quantity at this point

you think he beat that tank...look at this thing my buddy and i smacked...
Old 03-14-2007, 12:48 AM
brabuhburbuh

Originally Posted by havok
you think he beat that tank...look at this thing my buddy and i smacked...
godamn! but once you bondo and paint that bitch it will be
Old 03-14-2007, 03:50 PM

ptcspotweld is an unknown quantity at this point

Your buddy must have a HUGE
Old 03-14-2007, 04:29 PM

SAMBO is an unknown quantity at this point

you did beat it like it owed you money

Just go with a vortex set up. They have never failed me.
Old 03-15-2007, 03:29 AM
brabuhburbuh

yeah i just might do that. but i'm a cheapo so i was hoping somebody else on here had that problem and remedied it with washers or something
Old 03-15-2007, 03:41 AM
also known as OMR

old man roger User spends way too much time asking for repold man roger User spends way too much time asking for repold man roger User spends way too much time asking for repold man roger User spends way too much time asking for repold man roger User spends way too much time asking for repold man roger User spends way too much time asking for repold man roger User spends way too much time asking for repold man roger User spends way too much time asking for repold man roger User spends way too much time asking for repold man roger User spends way too much time asking for repold man roger User spends way too much time asking for rep

ok a new cap would be best but im cheap too so i would weld a washer to the top of a peice of tubing ...

the tubing should just fit in the whole where you broke the tabs off and just long enough to reach the tank when it is fully tight ,you will probably need some longer bolts...

if im not clear im talking about making a washer that is the same style as the washers that you use where ever there is a bolt that goes through a rubber grommit like most radiator mounts and some tank mount washers
Old 03-15-2007, 03:47 AM
brabuhburbuh

i think i understand what you mean, but this post/washer deal has to secure to the cap somehow. the head of the bolts are the same diameter as the holes in the base of the cap, so even if i get everything all lined up, i'll still be able to just lift the whole thing off because the posts are no longer welded to it.
Old 03-15-2007, 03:52 AM
also known as OMR

old man roger User spends way too much time asking for repold man roger User spends way too much time asking for repold man roger User spends way too much time asking for repold man roger User spends way too much time asking for repold man roger User spends way too much time asking for repold man roger User spends way too much time asking for repold man roger User spends way too much time asking for repold man roger User spends way too much time asking for repold man roger User spends way too much time asking for repold man roger User spends way too much time asking for repold man roger User spends way too much time asking for rep

does your tank have the washer that not only sits on top of but also goes in to the rubber grommet on the front mount ? if it does then look at that and i think you will better understand what im saying...
Old 03-15-2007, 03:54 AM
also known as OMR

the tubing will keep the cap from being able to move side to side and the washer welded to the tubing will tighten down the cap ring
Old 03-15-2007, 04:51 AM
also known as OMR

that didn't work ...hold on

Last edited by old man roger; 03-15-2007 at 04:54 AM.
Old 03-15-2007, 04:53 AM
also known as OMR

like this

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	tank fix 2.jpg
Views:	43
Size:	19.2 KB
ID:	190663  
Old 03-15-2007, 01:17 PM
brabuhburbuh

right but now as for the cap staying on the bike the only way i see this possible is if i put a washer on the outside of it, and this would cause the bolts to protrude, poking me in the *** while i do my highchair rev limiter coaster circles.
Old 03-15-2007, 03:38 PM
also known as OMR

if your sitting that far forward then you have more problems then your gas cap..lol