got my 12 bar welded...now i'm scared of it

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-2003, 12:30 AM

kirk newcomer is a decent person
SAME THING HAPPENED TO ME

I JUST GOT A 929 AND IT STILL HAD THE MILE LONG FENDER ON. I WAS SCRAPING THAT SO I FIGURED I BETTER GET A BAR. NAILED IT A FEW TIMES, THEN ONE WENT RIGHT. BENT A FRAME SLIDER, SCARED ME A LITTLE. I HAD EXTENDED SLIDERS MADE. WAS OUT PRACTICING WITH A BUDDY AND COULDN'T GET IT.MAADE THE FAMOUS LAST WORDS....OK ONE MORE TIME AND I'LL NAIL IT...BOY DID I EVER. THE RIGHTSIDE OF THE BAR HIT FIRST AND MY BIKE WAS FLOPPING FROM SIDE TO SIDE. ****ED MY BIKE AND BODY UP REAL BAD. SOUNDS LIKE I MIGHT TAKE THE BAR OFF TOM. I NEVER THOUGHT ABOUT THE FLIPPING AN ENDO THING EITHER.OUCH HURST JUST PICTURING IT. KEEP ME POSTED ON YOUR PROGRESS, I'D APPRECIATE ANY TIPS
Old 05-22-2003, 12:52 PM
I Have Too Much Free Time

Jay Carnes will become famous soon enough
Please dont take this the wrong way, im not trying to be a dick.

But, When learning 12's & being scared of touching tail - it is best to learn to really gain 100% control over the bike with slow wheelies & have lots of brake control. Once you can slow the bike down & start to lean it back with out jerking it and going to fast - then you can really start to concentrate on hitting the bar. If you are affraid - or just trying to hit a bar with really no , or not much brake control chances are you going to crash. With a bar, you come back to quick & that bar stops you dead - hit a corner & it'll toss around like a rag doll. A plastic tail is forgiving if you come down crooked which DOES happen, when you hit a corner of a bar it gets ugly quick ( believe me, thank god i have a cage).

So if you can't ride a nice solid speed wheelie w/ brake, 12'n might not be the best idea yet. Practice, practice practice & u'll be tearing tail off in no time.

good luck guys
Old 05-22-2003, 01:20 PM
Lb3

Lb3 is an unknown quantity at this point
I have read Rodg C.C.'s post on 12'in which was a really good read. Has anyone run across a post on here that explains brake control that well? I have searched but couldnt find what I was looking for. I have been experimenting alot on my own, but I would progress ALOT faster if somebody would detail the correct way of doing it. Sofar on my own I started out clutcing up 1st gear sitdowns and tried to get used to balancing them out with the throttle which was kinda tough but doable. Then I started getting on the gas a little more to bring it back more and easing on the brake when needed but not riding it which resulted in a sketchy looking mess of a wheelie. Now I am clutching them up, easing on the brake when I start to approach the balance point and backing out of the gas a little but trying to stay on for the most part and riding the brake kinda hard. Am I even close to doing this right? What I am doing now seems really dangerous, if I let off the gas and not the brake, I slam down hard. If I let of the brake and not the gas on accident, I am looping hard. Its alot of **** to think about. :P I would feel alot better if I knew the correct way to do it.
Old 05-25-2003, 04:00 PM
back in the saddle again

binder929rr is an unknown quantity at this point
progress update: i went to des moine to hang with dmextreme.com and cbo, hodge, and gimix helped me a lot.

im' getting better with brake control and i even 12'ed, but i wrecked one of them HELLA bad...haha, footage will be up later this week.

i'm coming up strait, i just lose it when i hit that bar. it takes practice but im' slowly getting there.

oh ya, about the 12 bar, it did get me pretty good. i 12'ed then i fell backwards and the bike went back down forwards and me and the 12 bar met in the middle, it hit the back of my left leg and flipped me over like a rag doll. i got a nice bruise and it looked horrible but i guess i came out ok. you'll just have to see the video to understand.
Old 05-25-2003, 04:24 PM
Lb3

Lb3 is an unknown quantity at this point
haha.. I did the same damn thing man. Except the bar didnt get me. I just landed on my *** and slid for a second.
Old 05-26-2003, 11:48 AM

SkiTchN is an unknown quantity at this point
As far as scared its normal,,,,
endo and bar gonna hit u just go to the side insteag of trying to run from the bike forward...............12 use ur rear brake ( i dont but,) its one way of getting used to it..