F4i Dual Headlight Mod

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-2006, 01:34 PM

cagedF-four-I is an unknown quantity at this point
F4i Dual Headlight Mod

May be a repost but......someone might want to know how to do this. Enjoy...

F4i Dual Headlight Mod

Tired of having your F4i only using one headlight when low beams are on? Here's a mod that fixes that by converting the H7 bulbs to H4 bulbs. Both of these bulbs use the same socket so no modifications are needed to run the H4's its just a matter of adding wires and re-routing old ones. You don’t have to use H4's on both housings its totally up to you and doing this mod will let you go back to H7's whenever you want without having to do anything other than switching bulbs (but if you switch back to the H7's the high beam function will be done on the optional ON/OFF switch), but after this mod who would want to go back to the winky look?

things you will need: -H4 bulbs
-Special yellow wires from a HONDA CAR DEALER part#04320-sp0-j10 (sold in packs of ten so please share them with your fellow CBR riders)
-SPDT Relay, very common 5pin BOSCH (Single Pole Double Throw is what SPDT stands for)
-Wires (a least 5 different colors, this will make life easy)
-Female spade connectors for the relay, try to get the ones with a plastic cover
-ON/OFF toggle switch (OPTIONAL but needed if your planing to go back to H7's)
-electrical tape, butt connectors, solder or whatever you want to use to connect the wires that you will be cutting (YIKES!) this is what the yellow wire looks like:

remove the intake runner covers and the traingular resonator (un hook it from the top, there is a plastic screw towards the bottom thn pull it upwards) insert the yellow wire on the empty slot on the lightbulb sockets. no modification is needed to do this. then route the yellow wire by the green wire and close the socket.

cut the H4's down to size, it does not have to be perfectly round. just enough to fit in the headlight housing. cut a little then test to see if it fits. if you cut too much all at once you run the risk off dropping the light bulb in the housing. also take note on how the old H7's are positioned in the housing. this is how you would want the H4's to be positioned as well but with the 3rd post down. the yellow bulb is the H4

now here is the stock wiring diagram, green wire is the ground. Blue with White is the positive for the low beam and Blue is the positive for the high beam as stated by the SERVICE MANUAL.

Remove the windshield so you can gain access behind the gauge cluster. this is where you will hide the relay. zip tie it to a spot here AFTER all the wiring is done. also remember to protect the relay from the elements, especially water. -facing the front of the bike, run 3 wires from the center to the left side: for ex. yellow, red and pink. -then run 4 wires from the center to the right side: for ex. yellow, red, brown and grey. 12inches of wire will be more than enough.

now here is what the new wiring diagram will look like from the left: ----yellow hooks to pin 87a ----red hooks to pin 87 ----pink hooks to pin 86 from the right: ----yellow hooks to pin 87a ----red hooks to pin 87 ----grey hooks to pin 85 ----brown hooks to pin 30

make all the connections on the sockets first before connecting anything on the relay or connecting the "yellow" and "red" wires to the same female spade connector. this will allow you to wrap the wires in electrical tape and route them by the stock wiring. make this neat so that everything looks stock.

notice that the "YELLOW" and "RED" wires hook up to the same pin. you would want to connect them to the same female spade connector. this is an example of how the red wires should be connected.

after all that is done, connect your wires to the right pin location on the relay and test your work. if all is done correctly you will no longer be the "one eyed bandit" this mod should also work for the other honda bikes. just study the FACTORY WIRING DIAGRAM of your bike, and if it looks similar to the F4i then just apply the modified diagram and you too will be part of the great one club! ***the function of the OPTIONAL ON/OFF switch is to: 1) give your battery a chance to recharge (not that this mod will drain the doo doo out of it), before this mod you were only running one headlight housing, so be sure to keep it on the OFF position before: -- you turn the key -- a few seconds before shutting the bike off 2) so that you will have a HIGH BEAM function when you decide to switch back to the H7 3) if you feel you need to ride around with one light cause you are not used to seeing so much in the dark ----this is where I mounted my switch.

this mod will approximately take 1-2hrs to complete. please be sure that you understand all the steps prior to getting started. i will not be responsible if you mess up your bike.

LOW BEAMS:

HIGH BEAMS:

Old 12-07-2006, 02:09 AM

DLISH is a splendid one to beholdDLISH is a splendid one to beholdDLISH is a splendid one to beholdDLISH is a splendid one to beholdDLISH is a splendid one to beholdDLISH is a splendid one to beholdDLISH is a splendid one to beholdDLISH is a splendid one to behold
Re: F4i Dual Headlight Mod

interesting.....
Old 12-07-2006, 02:23 AM

nags User spends way too much time asking for repnags User spends way too much time asking for repnags User spends way too much time asking for repnags User spends way too much time asking for repnags User spends way too much time asking for repnags User spends way too much time asking for repnags User spends way too much time asking for repnags User spends way too much time asking for repnags User spends way too much time asking for repnags User spends way too much time asking for repnags User spends way too much time asking for rep

Id like to have both on but I dont care THAT much
Old 12-07-2006, 03:18 AM

DBoy is a name known to allDBoy is a name known to allDBoy is a name known to allDBoy is a name known to allDBoy is a name known to allDBoy is a name known to all

Sweet
Old 12-08-2006, 10:29 AM

Originally Posted by nags

You could get it done on a rainy Sat if you really wanted too. It is a bit more work than you would think though.
Old 12-08-2006, 11:51 AM
kj

kj is an unknown quantity at this point

Why not just leave your high beams on all the time and be done w/ it?

The right side reflector is permanantly positioned to shine right in peoples eyes anyway... so what's the point of switching to an h4? Your still gonna blind people even when switched to low beam w/ this setup.

Am I missing something? Seem's like alot of work to just use your high beams all the time...
Old 12-08-2006, 12:09 PM
Retired

NINER User spends way too much time asking for repNINER User spends way too much time asking for repNINER User spends way too much time asking for repNINER User spends way too much time asking for repNINER User spends way too much time asking for repNINER User spends way too much time asking for repNINER User spends way too much time asking for repNINER User spends way too much time asking for repNINER User spends way too much time asking for repNINER User spends way too much time asking for repNINER User spends way too much time asking for rep

Just flip the high beam switch.
Old 12-08-2006, 12:10 PM
Retired

NINER User spends way too much time asking for repNINER User spends way too much time asking for repNINER User spends way too much time asking for repNINER User spends way too much time asking for repNINER User spends way too much time asking for repNINER User spends way too much time asking for repNINER User spends way too much time asking for repNINER User spends way too much time asking for repNINER User spends way too much time asking for repNINER User spends way too much time asking for repNINER User spends way too much time asking for rep

Originally Posted by kj954
Why not just leave your high beams on all the time and be done w/ it?

The right side reflector is permanantly positioned to shine right in peoples eyes anyway... so what's the point of switching to an h4? Your still gonna blind people even when switched to low beam w/ this setup.

Am I missing something? Seem's like alot of work to just use your high beams all the time...
As a lighting engineer I have to agree with you 100%. Waste of time.
Old 12-08-2006, 02:14 PM
Weeeee!!

-ChaOs- is a decent person

kinda like a hydralic clutch on a f4i lmao
Old 12-08-2006, 02:44 PM
Retired

Originally Posted by The ChaOs
kinda like a hydralic clutch on a f4i lmao
Or riding quads.
Old 12-08-2006, 02:47 PM
Weeeee!!

-ChaOs- is a decent person

or even fiddy's
Old 12-08-2006, 03:09 PM

nags User spends way too much time asking for repnags User spends way too much time asking for repnags User spends way too much time asking for repnags User spends way too much time asking for repnags User spends way too much time asking for repnags User spends way too much time asking for repnags User spends way too much time asking for repnags User spends way too much time asking for repnags User spends way too much time asking for repnags User spends way too much time asking for repnags User spends way too much time asking for rep

Originally Posted by NINER
Just flip the high beam switch.
I eliminated the switch completley and I believe it defaults to high beam. I'd prefer low beam.. High beam doesnt shine anything on the street
Old 12-09-2006, 09:41 AM

FREESTYLEKYLE is a decent person

nice, and you put together quite the tutorial.......

thnks
Old 12-09-2006, 04:43 PM
Retired

I eliminated the switch completley and I believe it defaults to high beam. I'd prefer low beam.. High beam doesnt shine anything on the street
Switch the plugs that go into the bulbs. I made my bike tun off the headlight on low beam and run low beam when the switch was on high.
Old 12-09-2006, 05:13 PM

I just copy and pasted the info I found from some other forum. I have not done it and would not waste my time either.
I am just spreadin the info to some people that might use it.

One mans trash is anothers treasure.......or something like that right.

Signed,
"Speadin the love"