Help! Little girl working on big scary bike!

Search this Thread

Old 11-12-2006, 12:10 PM

FoxyLadyF4i is a decent person
Help! Little girl working on big scary bike!

I'm trying to fix my bike today, by myself, and I'm not gunna lie: I DON'T KNOW WHAT I'M DOING!

I could really use some feed back while I'm working.

First things first:

Bike wont start and stay started w/o being connected to my car. Bad battery? Sure, Ill get a new one next season.

Second:

Screen doesn't work. Stuck at 4k rpm regardless of if it's on or off. Where should I check first. Obviously a short somewhere...????

Thanks in advance for the feedback.

Kim
Old 11-12-2006, 11:25 PM

ssteve is a glorious beacon of lightssteve is a glorious beacon of lightssteve is a glorious beacon of lightssteve is a glorious beacon of lightssteve is a glorious beacon of lightssteve is a glorious beacon of light
Re: Help! Little girl working on big scary bike!

Is it just that your gauges are busted and your battery is dead
Old 11-12-2006, 11:35 PM
Retired

NINER User spends way too much time asking for repNINER User spends way too much time asking for repNINER User spends way too much time asking for repNINER User spends way too much time asking for repNINER User spends way too much time asking for repNINER User spends way too much time asking for repNINER User spends way too much time asking for repNINER User spends way too much time asking for repNINER User spends way too much time asking for repNINER User spends way too much time asking for repNINER User spends way too much time asking for rep

Originally Posted by FoxyLadyF4i
I'm trying to fix my bike today, by myself, and I'm not gunna lie: I DON'T KNOW WHAT I'M DOING!

I could really use some feed back while I'm working.

First things first:

Bike wont start and stay started w/o being connected to my car. Bad battery? Sure, Ill get a new one next season.

Second:

Screen doesn't work. Stuck at 4k rpm regardless of if it's on or off. Where should I check first. Obviously a short somewhere...????

Thanks in advance for the feedback.

Kim
You either have a bad stator or a bad voltage regulator.
Old 11-12-2006, 11:38 PM

322efonic is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by NINER
You either have a bad stator or a bad voltage regulator.
+500
Old 11-12-2006, 11:38 PM

celgsxr has much to be proud ofcelgsxr has much to be proud ofcelgsxr has much to be proud ofcelgsxr has much to be proud ofcelgsxr has much to be proud ofcelgsxr has much to be proud ofcelgsxr has much to be proud ofcelgsxr has much to be proud of

hows this sound you fly me there and take me on a date and ill fix your bike....
kewl....deal............... ohh yeah dont listen to niner its really a fiver

burn i got u good fuucker
Old 11-12-2006, 11:51 PM

Street Warrior is a splendid one to beholdStreet Warrior is a splendid one to beholdStreet Warrior is a splendid one to beholdStreet Warrior is a splendid one to beholdStreet Warrior is a splendid one to beholdStreet Warrior is a splendid one to beholdStreet Warrior is a splendid one to beholdStreet Warrior is a splendid one to behold

If the bike has been sitting forever and the battery wasn't on a battery tender, it probably has a dead cell. That will stop it from running. Take it to an advanced auto or napa or whatever's around and they'll test it and tell you, and use it as core charge to get a new one. Just make sure it's a sealed maintenance free battery. Did the bike fall on the left side, and crack the stator cover? Could be a bad stator, but I'd just check the battery first.

Tach I dunno, does the speedo work? It might just be a loose connction, check em all. Then swap out someone elses guages to see if it's the guages or the bike/harness....

What else is wrong with it? You gorrilla scraped a sitdown right? Whatever happened with surgery and all that?

I had a battery with a dead cell and I could jump start it but as soon as I pulled the jumpers away it would die, and I couldn't push start it either

Last edited by Street Warrior; 11-12-2006 at 11:57 PM.
Old 11-12-2006, 11:52 PM
Retired

NINER User spends way too much time asking for repNINER User spends way too much time asking for repNINER User spends way too much time asking for repNINER User spends way too much time asking for repNINER User spends way too much time asking for repNINER User spends way too much time asking for repNINER User spends way too much time asking for repNINER User spends way too much time asking for repNINER User spends way too much time asking for repNINER User spends way too much time asking for repNINER User spends way too much time asking for rep

Originally Posted by Street Warrior
If the bike has been sitting forever and the battery wasn't on a battery tender, it probably has a dead cell. That will stop it from running. Take it to an advanced auto or napa or whatever's around and they'll test it and tell you, and use it as core charge to get a new one. Just make sure it's a sealed maintenance free battery.

Tach I dunno, does the speedo work? It might just be a loose connction or something, check em all. Then swap out someone elses guages to see if it's the guages or the bike/harness....

What else is wrong with it? You gorrilla scraped a sitdown right? Whatever happened with surgery and all that?
A bike will run without a battery if the stator and voltage regulator are good.
Old 11-16-2006, 12:59 AM

charkly is a decent person

sportbikes USUALLY wont run at idle with a dead battery-not enough juice to keep it running. Try holding it at 9k rpm and disconnecting the cables. Ill bet it stays running. As for the gauges-DON'T use a car to jump a bike-if theyre stuck at 4000rpm, likely need replacement-OR, the tach signal is sent from the ECU, I had a 929 with no tach, replaced the gauges with the same results. Turned out the ecu was bad. Mike
Old 11-16-2006, 02:13 AM
AQPWT

aaronwilliams is a decent person

the bike isnt that scary.....

if the voltage is too low the tach wil malfunction so thats probly a effect of the dead batt as for the batt youll have to test your stator and rectifier as stated earlier do you have a voltage meter?
Old 11-16-2006, 02:17 AM
$$$$$$$

TheRomanSF415x is a jewel in the roughTheRomanSF415x is a jewel in the roughTheRomanSF415x is a jewel in the roughTheRomanSF415x is a jewel in the rough

ride it down a hill in gear.. let the clutch out it should start up.. who cares about the RPM's
Old 11-16-2006, 02:47 AM

Street Warrior is a splendid one to beholdStreet Warrior is a splendid one to beholdStreet Warrior is a splendid one to beholdStreet Warrior is a splendid one to beholdStreet Warrior is a splendid one to beholdStreet Warrior is a splendid one to beholdStreet Warrior is a splendid one to beholdStreet Warrior is a splendid one to behold

ummm, how bout this...wiggle your nose, turn around 3 times, click your heels together, sing a little song, and replace the battery!

100/1 there's nothing wrong with your charging system... your battery is just wasted from sitting unused forever
Old 11-16-2006, 03:25 AM
AQPWT

aaronwilliams is a decent person

Originally Posted by Street Warrior
ummm, how bout this...wiggle your nose, turn around 3 times, click your heels together, sing a little song, and replace the battery!

100/1 there's nothing wrong with your charging system... your battery is just wasted from sitting unused forever
orrrrrrrrrr you could test the charging system and it will tell you if it needs a new battery it takes like 5 friggin min.
Old 11-16-2006, 04:28 AM

charkly is a decent person

There is NOTHING wrong with the charging system. AN F4I, like MANY sportbikes, will not run without, or with a completely dead battery at LOW rpm.
Old 11-16-2006, 11:38 AM

Ringmaster72 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by TheRomanSF415x
ride it down a hill in gear.. let the clutch out it should start up.. who cares about the RPM's

That wont work on an injected bike. There has to be enough juice in the battery to run the fuel pump.
Old 11-26-2006, 06:07 PM

well just for ***** and giggles, when I got back today I left the bike running, grabbed a screwdriver, and disconnected the negative battery terminal... within about 2 seconds the bike started misfiring, and within 10 - 12 seconds it died completely.... 900RR idle @ 1.5k

so don't be shaking your hydraulic clutch finger at me NINER!
Old 11-26-2006, 07:22 PM

FoxyLadyF4i is a decent person

Wow, I really should have been checking this more!

I don't want to just replace the battery because if there's more to it than that, I do't really feel like frying the new battery.

As for poppin the clutch? I'm 5'2". It just ain't happenin.

Fly you out to me so I can take you out on a date and let you fix my bike? You must be super single, and I suggest you find a different pick up line. You'll have better luck. LOL!

I work 2 jobs not so I don't have time to try to check it out. I'll probably just wait till I can find someone LOCALY to check it out for me. Thanks for all the help, boys!
Old 11-26-2006, 07:24 PM

in the extremely unlikely event that you fry the new batttery you can just take it back under warranty...

it's like.. 4 screws and $40.. and your ***** fixed...
Old 11-26-2006, 09:00 PM

MR. RYAN SMITH is an unknown quantity at this point

First Off, Watch Where You Get Your Information, See Above Posts. You Should Never Jump Your Bike Off Of A Car, But If You Absolutely Have To Then Make Sure The Car Is Off. You May Have More Than One Problem, Spend The Money To Have It Checked Out By A Professional Rather Than Screwing It Up Worse Listening To Stunters.