Cant get an 02' R1 to run

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-2006, 09:58 PM
Pimp/Moderator

Mellen_MPZ is an unknown quantity at this point
Cant get an 02' R1 to run

PLEASE HELP!!!!
Im trying to get a dune buggy ready for dune season. What I have is a little 2 seater with a 2002 yamaha R1 motor in it. I can get the thing to turn over, it even has spark. If I spray starting fluid into the airbox it will even fire up for a few seconds and then dies when it burns off the fluid.
My guess is that there is something telling the ecu to not let the fuel injectors open up (there is fuel pressure as the fuel pump comes on when I turn the ignition on, and there is fuel coming out of the return line back to the pump).
If I hold the tip over switch level and turn theignition on, the fuel pump primes the injectors for about 10 seconds. If I hold it at an angle (like the bike is tipped over) the fuel pump only cycles for about 2 seconds. THis tells me that its not a problem with the tip over switch.
I dont have a set of gauges for this thing yet, otherwise I would look for a code to tell me what is wrong.

Frustrated......Jeff
If anyone can help, let me know (703)861-2719
Old 10-09-2006, 10:57 AM

RuntStunts is a decent person
Re: Cant get an 02' R1 to run

Originally Posted by Mellen_MPZ
PLEASE HELP!!!!
Im trying to get a dune buggy ready for dune season. What I have is a little 2 seater with a 2002 yamaha R1 motor in it. I can get the thing to turn over, it even has spark. If I spray starting fluid into the airbox it will even fire up for a few seconds and then dies when it burns off the fluid.
My guess is that there is something telling the ecu to not let the fuel injectors open up (there is fuel pressure as the fuel pump comes on when I turn the ignition on, and there is fuel coming out of the return line back to the pump).
If I hold the tip over switch level and turn theignition on, the fuel pump primes the injectors for about 10 seconds. If I hold it at an angle (like the bike is tipped over) the fuel pump only cycles for about 2 seconds. THis tells me that its not a problem with the tip over switch.
I dont have a set of gauges for this thing yet, otherwise I would look for a code to tell me what is wrong.

Frustrated......Jeff
If anyone can help, let me know (703)861-2719
Disable the sensor for the kickstand.
That would not allow it to start.
That is worth a shot, but I don't know that it would turn over if that was the issue.
Old 10-09-2006, 11:33 AM
Scrapes Elbow

Wheeliest is a name known to allWheeliest is a name known to allWheeliest is a name known to allWheeliest is a name known to allWheeliest is a name known to allWheeliest is a name known to all
Re: Cant get an 02' R1 to run

and clutch sensor. and get a guage cluster lol